Old 02-17-2009, 03:25 PM

Default Ruby 1.8.6 Source and Apt-Get Upgrade

Hi,

I am hoping to get some advice with a problem I have gotten myself into;

I upgraded my packages using apt-get yesterday and have found an issue
with my installed (source built) version of Ruby 1.8.6. I am wondering
if the update has interfered with my version of ruby as some of my
rails projects no longer load correctly.

Error:
NoMethodError (undefined method `fdiv' for 0:Fixnum):
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml/rubytypes.rb:146:in `is_binary_data?'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml/rubytypes.rb:165:in `to_yaml'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:391:in `call'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:391:in `emit'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/yaml.rb:391:in `quick_emit'

RubyGems Environment is I think still showing the right info:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 0.9.5 (0.9.5)
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patchlevel 111) [i686-linux]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/bin/ruby
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86-linux
- GEM PATHS:
- /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8

dpkg --get-selections shows:
ruby1.8 install
ruby1.8-dev install

Is it possible apt-get broke something in this situation, and would a
reinstall of ruby from source as I am now considering be a good idea
to take at this stage? Unfortunately I need to stick with RubyGems .9
and Ruby 1.8.6 for now for my current projects - so I can't just
upgrade to 1.8.7.

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Dominic