Old 02-17-2009, 01:41 PM
Clemens Eisserer

Default Will installing libc6-i686 on my i586 crunch my installation?

Hi,

I am running Sarge on an old Pentium-90 (i586).
When I try to install autossh I am asked to install libc6-i686:

> mesrv:~# apt-get install autossh
> Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
> Abh�ngigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
> Die folgenden zus�tzlichen Pakete werden installiert:
> libc6 libedit2 libkeyutils1 libkrb53 libncurses5 libssl0.9.8 locales openssh-client
> Vorgeschlagene Pakete:
> glibc-doc libc6-i686 krb5-doc krb5-user ssh-askpass libpam-ssh keychain

So libc6-i686 is under the "recommended packes", hope that translation
is accurat.

However, as I said my system is an i586 - so will installing it cause
any problems?
Do you have any idea why apt recommends to install an i686 version,
desite the fact that I have an i586?

Thank you in advance, Clemens

Old 02-17-2009, 01:49 PM
Ron Johnson

I am running Sarge on an old Pentium-90 (i586).
When I try to install autossh I am asked to install libc6-i686:

mesrv:~# apt-get install autossh
Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
Abh�ngigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
Die folgenden zus�tzlichen Pakete werden installiert:
libc6 libedit2 libkeyutils1 libkrb53 libncurses5 libssl0.9.8 locales openssh-client
Vorgeschlagene Pakete:
glibc-doc libc6-i686 krb5-doc krb5-user ssh-askpass libpam-ssh keychain

So libc6-i686 is under the "recommended packes", hope that translation
is accurat.

However, as I said my system is an i586 - so will installing it cause
any problems?
Do you have any idea why apt recommends to install an i686 version,
desite the fact that I have an i586?

This should guide you:

$ apt-cache show libc6-i686

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Old 02-17-2009, 01:57 PM
Clemens Eisserer

Hi,

> This should guide you:
> $ apt-cache show libc6-i686

Well, so far it says:
> This set of libraries is optimized for i686 machines, and will only be
> used if you are running a 2.6 kernel on an i686 class CPU

However uname -m says I am running a 2.4 kernel on an i586:
> Linux mesrv 2.4.27-2-386 #1 Wed Aug 17 09:33:35 UTC 2005 i586 GNU/Linux

So why does apt want to install it at all?

> Die folgenden zus�tzlichen Pakete werden installiert: // The following additional packages will be installed:
> libc6 libedit2 libkeyutils1 libkrb53 libncurses5 libssl0.9.8 locales openssh-client
> Vorgeschlagene Pakete: //Recommended packages:
> glibc-doc libc6-i686 krb5-doc krb5-user ssh-askpass libpam-ssh keychai

Or does recommended mean they won't be installed and libc6 will be
chosen instead?

Thanks, Clemens

Old 02-17-2009, 02:26 PM
Ron Johnson

This set of libraries is optimized for i686 machines, and will only be
used if you are running a 2.6 kernel on an i686 class CPU

However uname -m says I am running a 2.4 kernel on an i586:

Linux mesrv 2.4.27-2-386 #1 Wed Aug 17 09:33:35 UTC 2005 i586 GNU/Linux

Wow. Even your 2.4 kernel is old!!

(2.4.37 was released 2008-12-02 08:13 UTC.)

So why does apt want to install it at all?

Die folgenden zus�tzlichen Pakete werden installiert: // The following additional packages will be installed:
libc6 libedit2 libkeyutils1 libkrb53 libncurses5 libssl0.9.8 locales openssh-client
Vorgeschlagene Pakete: //Recommended packages:
glibc-doc libc6-i686 krb5-doc krb5-user ssh-askpass libpam-ssh keychai

Or does recommended mean they won't be installed and libc6 will be
chosen instead?

Apt isn't so sophisticated as to be able to know what hardware that
you're running.

So, figuring that *most* people run 686-or-greater h/w, it
*recommends* libc6-i686. But, knowing that *some* people still have
lesser h/w, it's *only* a Recommends, not a Depends.

Old 02-17-2009, 02:53 PM
Sven Joachim

[Please fix your mailer, it sends out iso-latin-1 declared as UTF-8.]

On 2009-02-17 15:41 +0100, Clemens Eisserer wrote:

> When I try to install autossh I am asked to install libc6-i686:
>
>> mesrv:~# apt-get install autossh
>> Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
>> Abhngigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut... Fertig
>> Die folgenden zustzlichen Pakete werden installiert:
>> libc6 libedit2 libkeyutils1 libkrb53 libncurses5 libssl0.9.8 locales openssh-client

That looks as if libc6 had not been installed, is that really possible?

>> Vorgeschlagene Pakete:
>> glibc-doc libc6-i686 krb5-doc krb5-user ssh-askpass libpam-ssh keychain
>
> So libc6-i686 is under the "recommended packes", hope that translation
> is accurat.

No, it's not. These packages are suggested, not recommended.

> However, as I said my system is an i586 - so will installing it cause
> any problems?

I don't know, but installing libc6-i686 is pointless at best.

> Do you have any idea why apt recommends to install an i686 version,
> desite the fact that I have an i586?

As I said, it does not recommend it - and the suggestion comes from the
libc6 package.

Sven

Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 PM
Clemens Eisserer

Hi,

> Wow. Even your 2.4 kernel is old!!
I never received a kernel update, although I did frequent "apt-get
update/upgrade".
And I don't want to update to a newer debian version, because that
machine has onle 24mb RAM and who knows how well a new version of
postgres or the kernel will cope with that.

>>> Die folgenden zustzlichen Pakete werden installiert: [The following packages will be installed: ]
>>> libc6 libedit2 libkeyutils1 libkrb53 libncurses5 libssl0.9.8 locales openssh-client
> That looks as if libc6 had not been installed, is that really possible?

No, libc6 is installed for sure - I am 100% sure Sarge is libc6 based of course.

> No, it's not. These packages are suggested, not recommended.
Is there any way to use libc6-i586?

What I wonder when I do updates, "apt-get upgrade" says ~140 packages
have been "halted" - I guess thats the wrong translation.
It seems there are a lot of packages apt won't install and I wonder
where do they come from?

Thanks, Clemens

Old 02-17-2009, 06:43 PM
Ron Johnson

On 02/17/2009 01:34 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
[snip]

Is there any way to use libc6-i586?

I don't think that there currently is such a beast.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:50 PM
Clemens Eisserer

>> Is there any way to use libc6-i586?
>
> I don't think that there currently is such a beast.
But after all, where does that libc6-i686 package come from?

I installed Debian-3.1 on that machine, and when asking apt to install
something, it should look into Sarge's online repositories - and as
far as I know Sarge was < i586 (i386 as far as I know).
So why after all does installing autossh lead to the installation of
another libc6 package, and furthermore where does the i686 version
come from? - As far as I know even Lenny is still compiled for i586 or
even earlier.

I just know from other distributions that there are several versions
of libc to be able to use e.g. SSE2 for memcpy on CPUs which can do
that, but all I know have fallback-versions for older CPUs. Even
Fedora11 will still be completly i586 compatible.

Thanks, Clemens

Old 02-17-2009, 07:03 PM
Ron Johnson

On 02/17/2009 01:50 PM, Clemens Eisserer wrote:

Is there any way to use libc6-i586?

I don't think that there currently is such a beast.

But after all, where does that libc6-i686 package come from?

I installed Debian-3.1 on that machine, and when asking apt to install
something, it should look into Sarge's online repositories - and as
far as I know Sarge was < i586 (i386 as far as I know).
So why after all does installing autossh lead to the installation of
another libc6 package, and furthermore where does the i686 version
come from?

When the libc6 deb is being built from the libc6 deb-src, the -686
deb is built at the same time from the same deb-src, but with a
different set of compiler flags.

- As far as I know even Lenny is still compiled for i586 or
even earlier.

Yes. That's why libc6-i686 is *optional*.

I just know from other distributions that there are several versions
of libc to be able to use e.g. SSE2 for memcpy on CPUs which can do
that, but all I know have fallback-versions for older CPUs. Even
Fedora11 will still be completly i586 compatible.

You're stressing out over nothing. It's obvious: your PC is a 586.
lib6-686 is designed for 686+; thus, don't install lib6-686.

What the hell could be more obvious??????

Old 02-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Clemens Eisserer

> You're stressing out over nothing. It's obvious: your PC is a 586.
> lib6-686 is designed for 686+; thus, don't install lib6-686.
>
> What the hell could be more obvious??????
That was my question after all.

I would like to install "autossh", but apt detects some dependencies,
including some package named "libc6".
The package "libc6" seems to suggest libc6-i686, at least that what I
understood from your descriptions.

The big question is, will "apt-get install autossh" destroy my system,
by installing libc6-i686?
And if so, what can I do to prevent that and force it to install
another version?

Thanks, Clemens