Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 AM
Glenn Becker

Default testing or unstable?

Now, my question is: which one is more advisable, testing or unstable?

Excuse the basicness of my question, thanks for any reply
Rodolfo

I have been using testing for years with few problems, if that is any
indication.

I know there are 'safe' ways to get apps from other releases and mix 'em
in, but I forget the details because I do it so seldom. Martin Krafft's
book is very helpful in this area (and others!).

Glenn

Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 AM
Adrian Chapela

Rodolfo Medina escribió:

I've been using Debian for more than three years now, but always using the
official DVDs of the most current stable version: first Sarge, and then Etch.

Recently, many times I've been needing to use a testing/unstable Debian version
for many applications that were too old in stable Debian, so now I'm thinking
of switching to a testing/unstable Debian version for good.

Now, my question is: which one is more advisable, testing or unstable?

It depends on the main using of your installation. You need to think if
it is a critical production server, non critical server or personal
using. I think your talking about personal use. For first option you
need to think on a stable version, for the second maybe unestable if you
need the new features and for personal use you could think in unestable
version.

For my laptop (two years old), I will install the new lenny release but
it will be changing to an unestable version...

Old 02-17-2009, 11:23 AM
Alex Samad

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 01:02:38PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> I've been using Debian for more than three years now, but always using the
> official DVDs of the most current stable version: first Sarge, and then Etch.
>
> Recently, many times I've been needing to use a testing/unstable Debian version
> for many applications that were too old in stable Debian, so now I'm thinking
> of switching to a testing/unstable Debian version for good.
>
> Now, my question is: which one is more advisable, testing or unstable?

I look at stable and testing and unstable so I have access to all the
packages (also to experimental as well), but I use pinning

cat /etc/apt/preferences
package: *
pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 100

package: *
pin: release a=experimental
Pin-Priority: 50

which means it will try to install testing in preference to stable, but
will only show me options for unstable (and experimental). some times
dependancies cross over between unstable and testing

> Excuse the basicness of my question, thanks for any reply
> Rodolfo

17th Rule of Friendship:
A friend will refrain from telling you he picked up the same amount of
life insurance coverage you did for half the price when yours is
noncancellable.
-- Esquire, May 1977

Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Ron Johnson