Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 AM
Dancing Fingers

Default Postgresql 8.3 Question

Hi guys,
I'm used to Postgresql 7.4 but when Debian 5 came out I had to try
it. Everything was okay except the ATI driver killed my tvtime but I
can live with that (dual monitors are more important). The part I
can't live without is Postgresql -8.3. I've supposedly installed
postfesql-8.3, postgresql-common, the 8.3 client and server. I'm used
to tweaking /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf and /etc/postgresql/
postgresql.conf in 7.4, so that I have local access to the db but
these files aren't there and there's no log file? Is Postgresql 8.3
that much different than 7.4 or am I looking at a bad package
install? The directory structure seems to be there but many
directories are empty. When I "su postgres" than I "psql template1" I
get complaints about some Dir not authorized (I'm not at the box right
now.)

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Chris

Old 02-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Alex Samad

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:55:57AM -0800, Dancing Fingers wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I'm used to Postgresql 7.4 but when Debian 5 came out I had to try
> it. Everything was okay except the ATI driver killed my tvtime but I
> can live with that (dual monitors are more important). The part I
> can't live without is Postgresql -8.3. I've supposedly installed
> postfesql-8.3, postgresql-common, the 8.3 client and server. I'm used
> to tweaking /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf and /etc/postgresql/
> postgresql.conf in 7.4, so that I have local access to the db but
> these files aren't there and there's no log file? Is Postgresql 8.3
> that much different than 7.4 or am I looking at a bad package
> install? The directory structure seems to be there but many
> directories are empty. When I "su postgres" than I "psql template1" I
> get complaints about some Dir not authorized (I'm not at the box right
> now.)
>
> Any pointers would be appreciated.

this is my package list

dpkg -l | grep postgre
ii postgresql 8.3.6-1
object-relational SQL database (supported version
ii postgresql-8.3 8.3.6-1
object-relational SQL database, version 8.3 serve
ii postgresql-8.3-ip4r 1.03-2
IPv4 and IPv4 range index types for PostgreSQL 8.
ii postgresql-8.3-slony1 1.2.15-1
replication system for PostgreSQL
ii postgresql-client-8.3 8.3.6-1
front-end programs for PostgreSQL 8.3
ii postgresql-client-common 94lenny1
manager for multiple PostgreSQL client versions
ii postgresql-common 94lenny1
PostgreSQL database-cluster manager
ii postgresql-contrib 8.3.6-1
additional facilities for PostgreSQL (supported v
ii postgresql-contrib-8.3 8.3.6-1
additional facilities for PostgreSQL
ii postgresql-doc 8.3.6-1
documentation for the PostgreSQL database managem
ii postgresql-doc-8.3 8.3.6-1
documentation for the PostgreSQL database managem
ii postgresql-filedump-8.3 8.3-1
Utility to format PostgreSQL files
ii postgresql-plperl-8.3 8.3.6-1
PL/Perl procedural language for PostgreSQL 8.3

maybe try a dpkg -L <package name> to list out the files

> Chris

Cheap things are of no value, valuable things are not cheap.

Old 02-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Ink Bottle

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 02:55:57AM -0800, Dancing Fingers
> wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> > I'm used to Postgresql 7.4 but when Debian 5 came
> out I had to try
> > it. Everything was okay except the ATI driver killed
> my tvtime but I
> > can live with that (dual monitors are more important).
> The part I
> > can't live without is Postgresql -8.3. I've
> supposedly installed
> > postfesql-8.3, postgresql-common, the 8.3 client and
> server. I'm used
> > to tweaking /etc/postgresql/pg_hba.conf and
> /etc/postgresql/
> > postgresql.conf in 7.4, so that I have local access to
> the db but

$ ls /etc/postgresql/8.3/main/
environment pg_hba.conf pg_ident.conf postgresql.conf start.conf

After I had installed it, by default, evry one had local
access (after having done this kind
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/app-createuser.html
of create user)

> > these files aren't there and there's no log
> file? Is Postgresql 8.3
> > that much different than 7.4 or am I looking at a bad
> package
> > install? The directory structure seems to be there
> but many
> > directories are empty. When I "su postgres"
> than I "psql template1" I
> > get complaints about some Dir not authorized (I'm
> not at the box right
> > now.)

I think all what you need is:
$ dpkg -l | grep postgre|grep -v gambas|gawk '{print $2 " = " $3}'
postgresql = 8.3.6-1
postgresql-8.3 = 8.3.6-1
postgresql-client-8.3 = 8.3.6-1
postgresql-client-common = 94lenny1