Old 02-17-2009, 12:45 AM
Jason Millis

Default Grub error 18

Hi,

I'm currently trying to install Debian (4.0) onto a 2.5" Seagate*60GB hard drive in a*usb caddy (which is detected as a SCSI drive).

Debian installs fine but then I get back an "Error 18" (which I've looked up, is due to a larger hard drive than the motherboards bios recognises).

I've tried to solve the problem aany times with teh following steps:

*

Trouble shooting steps:

-Flash the bios to the latest version - It updated but ddidn't change the outcome

-Change the CHS/LBA - Because thisis a SCSI dive it's not listed in*the bios so these settings cannot be changed.

-Put the boot section in a seperate partition at the beginning of*the hard drive - I've tried giving the partition a 1GB partition for boot, but i get the same error

*

The strange thing is that Debian installs and boots*fine on an 3.5",*80GB maxtor, but I need to use a 2.5" rather than a 3.5".

*

System:

VIA EPIA M6000G with 600Mhz (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=81)

Bios V. 1.16 (http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/downloads.jsp?motherboard_id=81)

512RAM

Any help would be*greatfully apreciated.

*

Jason Millis

Get Hotmail on your mobile from Vodafone Try it Now

Old 02-24-2009, 03:02 AM
Asif Iqbal

I am trying to reuse the same disk to reinstall 8.10. Except this time
I am getting the error 18 error at grub. It is not a dual boot.

It is the same laptop, so new hardware and no new bios. No other
upgrade is done before the second install

I am assuming I need to clear the grub and either reinstall the OS or
just grub-install.

Please advise.

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

Old 02-24-2009, 03:18 AM
ning luwen

try to reinstall grub use liveCD

I am trying to reuse the same disk to reinstall 8.10. Except this time

I am getting the error 18 error at grub. It is not a dual boot.

It is the same laptop, so new hardware and no new bios. No other

upgrade is done before the second install

I am assuming I need to clear the grub and either reinstall the OS or

just grub-install.

Please advise.

--

Asif Iqbal

PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 02-24-2009, 03:21 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

Asif Iqbal wrote:
> I am trying to reuse the same disk to reinstall 8.10. Except this time
> I am getting the error 18 error at grub. It is not a dual boot.
>
> It is the same laptop, so new hardware and no new bios. No other
> upgrade is done before the second install
>
> I am assuming I need to clear the grub and either reinstall the OS or
> just grub-install.
>
> Please advise.

Please check:

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/GRUB#Error_18

L.

--
Lucio M. Nicolosi, Eng. - São Paulo - Brazil
Lat.: 23°34'4.79"S - Long.: 46°39'59.53"W

Old 02-24-2009, 03:26 AM
James Takac

Hi Asif

On Tuesday 24 February 2009 14:02:49 Asif Iqbal wrote:
> I am trying to reuse the same disk to reinstall 8.10. Except this time
> I am getting the error 18 error at grub. It is not a dual boot.
>
> It is the same laptop, so new hardware and no new bios. No other
> upgrade is done before the second install
>
> I am assuming I need to clear the grub and either reinstall the OS or
> just grub-install.
>
> Please advise.
>

> --

Did a quick google and found the following which may help

http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/GRUB#Error_18

James