Old 02-16-2009, 09:13 PM
S D

Default Lenny upgrade: Failed to load modules "ati" and "typ1" when starting X. No drivers available

After dist-upgrade from etch to lenny, I'm trying to run lenny using 2.6.18 kernel that I have left over from etch, as I'm having issues assembling mdadm RAID drives under the new 2.6.28 lenny kernel (For more info see http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_thread/thread/b97fd9b0a450370f# )

The problem now is that when I try to start X, it fails complaining that:
(EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module doesn't exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "ait" (module doesn't exist, 0)
(E) No drivers available.

Fatal server error:
no screens found, giving up

Any ideas? Thanks

Old 02-17-2009, 01:24 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 16 February 2009 16:13:29 S D wrote:
> (EE) Failed to load module "ait" (module doesn't exist, 0)

For the "ati" module, you need the package:
p xserver-xorg-video-ati - X.Org X server -- ATI display driver
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 02-17-2009, 02:58 AM
S D

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> For the "ati" module, you need the package:
> p xserver-xorg-video-ati - X.Org X server --
> ATI display driver

Installed the xserver-xorg-video-ati package and it did resolve the issue somewhat. I was able to start X and KDE, KDE is running and and appears to be functional (v 3.5.10) but the picture looks very strange indeed.

The picture now, for some reason, doesn't use the whole available screen space but leave unused areas about 3-5 cm from the left, right, top and bottom monitor edges. It looks something like this:

+------------1------------------+
| |
| |
| +-------2---------+ |
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| +-----------------+ |
| |
| |
+-------------------------------+

Where 1 is the monitor and 2 is the picture.

I usually run my monitor in 1600x1200 mode and KDE shows it as the current resolution.

Any ideas? Thanks

Old 02-17-2009, 04:48 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Monday 16 February 2009 21:58:13 S D wrote:
> The picture now, for some reason, doesn't use the whole available screen
> space but leave unused areas about 3-5 cm from the left, right, top and
> bottom monitor edges. It looks something like this:
>
> I usually run my monitor in 1600x1200 mode and KDE shows it as the current
> resolution.

Probably need to add some modes or modelines to your xorg.conf. Might try
dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (or sth like that) to get the resolution you
want.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:13 AM
S D

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> Probably need to add some modes or modelines to your
> xorg.conf. Might try
> dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg (or sth like that) to get the
> resolution you
> want.

I checked xorg.conf, it already has 1600x1200 line entries. Besides, the KDE configuration utility (Control Center | Peripherals | Display) shows that the monitor *is* running in the 1600x1200 mode. However, the picture doesn't use the whole available screen space.

Thanks

Old 02-17-2009, 07:08 PM
S D

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, pavlos.paris wrote:

> Try the following
> 1) inside GNOME/KDE open a terminal and run
> xvidtune and tune the settings
> as you wish. Then click on show button, this will
> print on the terminal the setting to be used in
> xorg.conf.

Weird, when I try to run (as root) xvidtune from a terminal window I get:

# xvidtune
Error: Can't open display:

And it's true, I don't have a "Modeline" entry in the Monitor section of the /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Any ideas? Thanks

Old 02-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Pavlos Parissis

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 12:08:26 -0800 (PST)
S D <sundimi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Tue, 2/17/09, pavlos.paris wrote:
>
> > Try the following
> > 1) inside GNOME/KDE open a terminal and run
> > xvidtune and tune the settings
> > as you wish. Then click on show button, this will
> > print on the terminal the setting to be used in
> > xorg.conf.
>
> Weird, when I try to run (as root) xvidtune from a terminal window I get:
>
> # xvidtune
> Error: Can't open display:
>
> And it's true, I don't have a "Modeline" entry in the Monitor section of
> the /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

You don't need root access in order to run that command.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:06 PM
S D

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, Pavlos Parissis <p_pavlos@freemail.gr> wrote:

> You don't need root access in order to run that
> command.

True, but if I run it as a regular user, it gets even funnier:

$ which xvidtune
/usr/bin/xvidtune
$ `which xvidtune`
Please install the program before using
$ /usr/bin/xvidtune
Please install the program before using

It appears some people also had this issue but no solution was provided:

xvidtune always appeared accessible and judging from the below 'c' code the message is internally generated.
http://www.x.org/pub/unsupported/pro...une/xvidtune.c
if (!AppRes.ad_installed) {fprintf(stderr, "Please install the program before using
"); return 3;}
Maybe an understanding of how the boolean ad_installed is set would clarify matters.

Thanks

Old 02-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Pavlos Parissis

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:06:48 -0800 (PST)
S D <sundimi@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Tue, 2/17/09, Pavlos Parissis <p_pavlos@freemail.gr> wrote:
>
> > You don't need root access in order to run that
> > command.
>
> True, but if I run it as a regular user, it gets even funnier:
>
> $ which xvidtune
> /usr/bin/xvidtune
> $ `which xvidtune`
> Please install the program before using
> $ /usr/bin/xvidtune
> Please install the program before using
>
> It appears some people also had this issue but no solution was provided:
>
> xvidtune always appeared accessible and judging from the below 'c' code the
> message is internally generated.
> http://www.x.org/pub/unsupported/pro...une/xvidtune.c if (!AppRes.ad_installed)
> {fprintf(stderr, "Please install the program before using
"); return 3;} Maybe an
> understanding of how the boolean ad_installed is set would clarify matters.
>
> Thanks

[pparissis@spartacos][~]$
id -a
uid=1000(pparissis) gid=1000(pparissis) groups=4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29( audio),34(backup),40(src),44(video),46(plugdev),10 00(pparissis)
[pparissis@spartacos][~]$
which xvidtune
/usr/bin/xvidtune
[pparissis@spartacos][~]$
dpkg -S /usr/bin/xvidtune
x11-xserver-utils: /usr/bin/xvidtune
[pparissis@spartacos][~]$
aptitude show x11-xserver-utils|grep Version
Version: 7.3+5
[pparissis@spartacos][~]$
xvidtune
Vendor: (null), Model: (null)
Num hsync: 1, Num vsync: 1
hsync range 0: 28.00 - 80.00
vsync range 0: 48.00 - 75.00
"1280x1024" 135.00 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync

[pparissis@spartacos][~]$
cat /etc/debian_version
5.0

BTW, have you seen this ?
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#vga-output-bug

Old 02-17-2009, 10:13 PM
S D

--- On Tue, 2/17/09, Pavlos Parissis <p_pavlos@freemail.gr> wrote:

> [pparissis@spartacos][~]$
> id -a
> uid=1000(pparissis) gid=1000(pparissis)
> groups=4(adm),20(dialout),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29( audio),34(backup),40(src),44(video),46(plugdev),10 00(pparissis)
> [pparissis@spartacos][~]$ which xvidtune
> /usr/bin/xvidtune
> [pparissis@spartacos][~]$ dpkg -S /usr/bin/xvidtune
> x11-xserver-utils: /usr/bin/xvidtune
> [pparissis@spartacos][~]$ aptitude show x11-xserver-utils|grep Version
> Version: 7.3+5
> [pparissis@spartacos][~]$ xvidtune
> Vendor: (null), Model: (null)
> Num hsync: 1, Num vsync: 1
> hsync range 0: 28.00 - 80.00
> vsync range 0: 48.00 - 75.00
> "1280x1024" 135.00 1280 1296 1440 1688 1024
> 1025 1028 1066 +hsync +vsync
>
> [pparissis@spartacos][~]$
> cat /etc/debian_version
> 5.0

I see no discrepancies when it comes to x11-xserver-utils or debian version. But my xvidtune doesn't run.

> BTW, have you seen this ?
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-information.en.html#vga-output-bug

Yes, I'm not using Intel Mobile GM965 though. I filed a bug, it has more info (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-binbugreport.cgi?bug=515840 ).

Thanks