FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-16-2009, 07:51 PM
Jochen Schulz
 
Default lenny on x86

Kelly Clowers:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:55, Attilio Cucchieri <attilio@ifsc.usp.br> wrote:
>>
>> Does anybody nows if lenny installation on x86 machines
>> using floppy is (or will be) available?
>
> I don't think there is such a thing, and I doubt there will be.
> The manual makes no mention of floppies:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch02s04.html.en

More specifically, the Debian installer's errata mentions that d-i
currently doesn't support floppy installs on i386:

http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/errata

(The page header mentions rc2 but I am quite sure to have read something
to the same effect about the final version.)

J.
--
I have been manipulated and permanently distorted.
[Agree] [Disagree]
<http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>
 
Old 02-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Stefan Monnier
 
Default lenny on x86

> Does anybody nows if lenny installation on x86 machines
> using floppy is (or will be) available?

Why would you need that?


Stefan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-18-2009, 04:22 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"
 
Default lenny on x86

> From: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Stefan Monnier
> Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:28 AM
> Subject: Re: lenny on x86
>
> > Does anybody nows if lenny installation on x86 machines
> > using floppy is (or will be) available?
>
> Why would you need that?


Short Answer:
Because there are still a lot of companies that use floppies for various
utilities. There are also a lot of hobbyists that use older hardware.
Many in my Linux user group still bring systems with floppies.

Long answer specifically for me:
I was given a bunch of Ricoh NP-50 laptops a few weeks ago. Nothing
special, but I have been having fun tinkering with them while I watch
Mythbusters / Dirty Jobs. They are Pentium 90mhz, 64MB ram, 4-6GB hard
drives. They have no onboard lan, one usb 1.1 port (can't boot off of
it), 2 PCMICA slots, no cdrom drive, and an external parallel-attached
floppy disc.

I have been using the etch floppy images to boot[1] and mess around
with. The problem I am having is that all of the PCMCIA cards I have are
either not recognized by these floppies, or in the case of one wireless
PCMCIA card, it is recognized but I can't get it to attach to a wireless
access point (no encryption). Yet, on another laptop (Debian Lenny is
already installed) just about all of the PCMCIA cards work just fine
straight away.

So it would be nice to get a floppy install but then again I am just
tinkering with it. I am not really in /need/ of it or anything. It just
gives me something to do during the 40 minutes of
coming-up-next/lets-recap of Mythbusters. Even if I get them running I
am not sure what I am going to do with them. These things don't pull a
lot of power so the only idea I have so far is a constant update screen
for my MythTV system (load, mem usage, what shows are
recording/upcoming, ect). If I can get internet working really well,
they would also make for a good "let me check the mailing list right
quick" devices too.

Someone just recommended to me installing to a USB thumbdrive and using
a floppy to load grub to boot off the USB thumbdrive. That would
certainly make installing easier but I have not had a chance to really
research that yet. If you know a good place to start, I would appreciate
tips.

Anyway, that is why I still use floppy installs.

Have fun!
~Stack~

[1]
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/etch/main/installer-i386/current/i
mages/floppy/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Stefan Monnier
 
Default lenny on x86

> I was given a bunch of Ricoh NP-50 laptops a few weeks ago. Nothing
> special, but I have been having fun tinkering with them while I watch
> Mythbusters / Dirty Jobs. They are Pentium 90mhz, 64MB ram, 4-6GB hard
> drives. They have no onboard lan, one usb 1.1 port (can't boot off of
> it), 2 PCMICA slots, no cdrom drive, and an external parallel-attached
> floppy disc.

Do they have some kind of running system on them? If so you can use the
hd-install method. If they run Windows, check out
www.goodbye-microsoft.com. Otherwise, I'd recommend you take the HD out
and do the install on some other machine (or at least use the other
machine to place the hd-install files). For most laptops (sadly not
all), taking out the drive is very quick&painless, and external
enclosures are pretty cheap (I got mine next door for $20) and it's
always good to have one handy.

> Someone just recommended to me installing to a USB thumbdrive and using
> a floppy to load grub to boot off the USB thumbdrive.

Grub can only load a kernel from a disk seen by the BIOS, so that
probably won't work. At least, you'll need to put not just Grub but
also a kernel+initrd on that floppy.


Stefan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-18-2009, 05:15 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"
 
Default lenny on x86

> From: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Stefan Monnier
> Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:06 PM
> Subject: Re: lenny on x86
>
[snip]
> > They are Pentium 90mhz, 64MB ram, 4-6GB hard
> > drives. They have no onboard lan, one usb 1.1 port (can't boot off
of
> > it), 2 PCMICA slots, no cdrom drive, and an external
parallel-attached
> > floppy disc.
>
> Do they have some kind of running system on them?

Fraid not. They were wiped before I got them.

> Otherwise, I'd recommend you take the HD out
> and do the install on some other machine (or at least use the other
> machine to place the hd-install files). For most laptops (sadly not
> all), taking out the drive is very quick&painless, and external
> enclosures are pretty cheap (I got mine next door for $20) and it's
> always good to have one handy.

Love my external drive bay (it is one that can take SATA, IDE, and
laptop IDE). However, the amount of pain to take these things apart
isn't funny. It is layered such that you remove the keyboard, then the
motherboard, then the daughterboard, and the drive is at the very
bottom. I have been unable to find an easier way to get to them and I
accidently broke the one I took apart. :-[ Not that it really matters
because I have others... Still I would rather not do that with the
others.

> > Someone just recommended to me installing to a USB thumbdrive and
using
> > a floppy to load grub to boot off the USB thumbdrive.
>
> Grub can only load a kernel from a disk seen by the BIOS, so that
> probably won't work. At least, you'll need to put not just Grub but
> also a kernel+initrd on that floppy.

Good to know! Thanks for the info!

~Stack~


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-18-2009, 05:26 PM
Jimmy Johnson
 
Default lenny on x86

Attilio Cucchieri wrote:

Hi!

Does anybody nows if lenny installation on x86 machines
using floppy is (or will be) available?
Thanks. Best
Attilio



Start here http://wiki.debian.org/DebianInstaller/FAQ then go to
question #10 and then click another link and then another link...you
will get to the bottom line: Booting DebianInstaller from floppy-disks
is discontinued since Lenny.


but...If you tell us why you need to use floppy disc, if you have
another system installed and what hardware you have to use, we maybe
able to find another way for you to start the install.

--
Jimmy Johnson

Bakersfield, CA. U.S.A.
Registered Linux User #380263
K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-18-2009, 09:20 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"
 
Default lenny on x86

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:28:05AM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Does anybody nows if lenny installation on x86 machines
> > using floppy is (or will be) available?
>
> Why would you need that?

Probably because he has an i386 that can't boot CD, USB, or netboot?

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-18-2009, 09:23 PM
Celejar
 
Default lenny on x86

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:22:39 -0600
"Stackpole, Chris" <CStackpole@barbnet.com> wrote:

...

> Someone just recommended to me installing to a USB thumbdrive and using
> a floppy to load grub to boot off the USB thumbdrive. That would
> certainly make installing easier but I have not had a chance to really
> research that yet. If you know a good place to start, I would appreciate
> tips.

http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm

Celejar
--
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-18-2009, 09:33 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"
 
Default lenny on x86

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 11:22:39AM -0600, Stackpole, Chris wrote:
> > From: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Stefan Monnier
> > Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 10:28 AM
> > Subject: Re: lenny on x86
> >
> > > Does anybody nows if lenny installation on x86 machines
> > > using floppy is (or will be) available?
> I was given a bunch of Ricoh NP-50 laptops a few weeks ago. Nothing
> special, but I have been having fun tinkering with them while I watch
> Mythbusters / Dirty Jobs. They are Pentium 90mhz, 64MB ram, 4-6GB hard
> drives. They have no onboard lan, one usb 1.1 port (can't boot off of
> it), 2 PCMICA slots, no cdrom drive, and an external parallel-attached
> floppy disc.

Sounds like a great laptop to have (it was free, I don't have one).
Good for just lapping around on: mail, quich web search, writing,
reading pdfs, etc.

> I have been using the etch floppy images to boot[1] and mess around
> with. The problem I am having is that all of the PCMCIA cards I have are
> either not recognized by these floppies, or in the case of one wireless
> PCMCIA card, it is recognized but I can't get it to attach to a wireless
> access point (no encryption). Yet, on another laptop (Debian Lenny is
> already installed) just about all of the PCMCIA cards work just fine
> straight away.

What about installing base Etch (don't even select "standard" task).
Then do an immediate upgrade following the release notes, to lenny
(again, you'll get base). Once Lenny's installed, you can add packages.
You can do Etch base with the netinst.iso without networking. Lenny's
netinst.iso may have the packages to allow an upgrade using apt-cdrom
add, or it may install a tarball, I don't know. You may need lenny's
bin-CD1.iso and apt-cdrom add it on etch.

Another option is to boot Etch's installer in rescue mode and use the
shell to transfer Lenny's hd-media to the hard drive. Perhaps
pre-partition the disk as you will want it, but have two earmarked for
swap. Make one of them ext2 and put the hd-media on it. Get a copy of
grub-disk (there's a package called that or you can have grub make on if
you have it installed on a box with a floppy drive) to boot, then point
grub at the hd-media files (per the installation manual). Since the
BIOS can see the hard drive, it should be able to boot it.

Since you only have 64 MB ram, the installer will want some swap, so use
the second partition you earmarked for swap. When the system is
installed, you can mkswap on the partition with the hd-media and swapon
it. Sure you'll have two swap partitions on one drive, but oh-well.

Doug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-19-2009, 12:57 AM
Stefan Monnier
 
Default lenny on x86

> laptop IDE). However, the amount of pain to take these things apart
> isn't funny. It is layered such that you remove the keyboard, then the
> motherboard, then the daughterboard, and the drive is at the very
> bottom. I have been unable to find an easier way to get to them and I

Duh! Like my Powerbook. This sucks.
Then I guess my recommendation would be:
- use your Etch floppys to install an simple Debian system.
- using this system, use a USB key to transfer the hd-install data for
Lenny onto the drive
- boot&install Lenny.
Does that sound feasible?


Stefan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:39 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org