FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-16-2009, 04:50 PM
Khristian
 
Default Problems with Lenny Installer

I'm trying to install lenny amd64 here, but the installer doesn't
recognize my hard disk as already partitioned when I choose the manual
partitioning (it simply shows an unpartitioned 250GB disk). I tried
going through the graphical and text installers (both normal and
expert), but nothing changed.
Couldn't find a bug in the debian-installer bug reports page that
looked similar to this, so I'm turning to this list for help. Any
ideas?

Thanks,

--
Khristian Alexander Schönrock
http://derkosak.blogspot.com - Meu blógue!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2009, 07:34 PM
Adrian Levi
 
Default Problems with Lenny Installer

2009/2/17 Khristian <der.kosak@gmail.com>:
> I'm trying to install lenny amd64 here, but the installer doesn't
> recognize my hard disk as already partitioned when I choose the manual
> partitioning (it simply shows an unpartitioned 250GB disk). I tried
> going through the graphical and text installers (both normal and
> expert), but nothing changed.
> Couldn't find a bug in the debian-installer bug reports page that
> looked similar to this, so I'm turning to this list for help. Any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks,

>From the information you provide I can guess that you have previously
installed linux? and want to reinstall Debian in a pre-existing linux
partition?

What is shown if you boot the install media in rescue mode?

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to
ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my
apartment it is.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Khristian
 
Default Problems with Lenny Installer

(re-sending the e-mail to the list as well, I always forget to hit the
'reply to all' button :/ )
Yes, I've installed linux some times before, and what I'm trying to do
is wipe the current ubuntu install I have to make a clean lenny
install (I have /, /home and swap partitions already made).

Inside the installer, I opened another console and fdisk -l /dev/sda shows this:
http://img9.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1602091744aj1.jpg

I've rebooted into the install disc's rescue mode, and it seems to
know that there are already partitions on the disk:
http://img27.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1602091746ok1.jpg

But, when I hit the back button and go on to try the installation, it
still says there's only one unpartitioned disk:
http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1602091747bg3.jpg

I went some steps after this, to see if the installer was just trying
to select one disk to work on, but is seems it really has no
recollection of the partitions it detected before.

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 5:34 PM, Adrian Levi <adrian.levi@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/2/17 Khristian <der.kosak@gmail.com>:
>> I'm trying to install lenny amd64 here, but the installer doesn't
>> recognize my hard disk as already partitioned when I choose the manual
>> partitioning (it simply shows an unpartitioned 250GB disk). I tried
>> going through the graphical and text installers (both normal and
>> expert), but nothing changed.
>> Couldn't find a bug in the debian-installer bug reports page that
>> looked similar to this, so I'm turning to this list for help. Any
>> ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>
> >From the information you provide I can guess that you have previously
> installed linux? and want to reinstall Debian in a pre-existing linux
> partition?
>
> What is shown if you boot the install media in rescue mode?
>
> Adrian
>
> --
> 24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
> <erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to
> ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my
> apartment it is.
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>



--
Khristian Alexander Schönrock
http://derkosak.blogspot.com - Meu blógue!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-17-2009, 05:24 AM
Adrian Levi
 
Default Problems with Lenny Installer

2009/2/17 Khristian <der.kosak@gmail.com>:
> (re-sending the e-mail to the list as well, I always forget to hit the
> 'reply to all' button :/ )

Standard practice on this list is to reply only to the list unless
explicetly requested to cc someone.

> Yes, I've installed linux some times before, and what I'm trying to do
> is wipe the current ubuntu install I have to make a clean lenny
> install (I have /, /home and swap partitions already made).

Ok, default practice in Debian is to leave all existing partitions alone.

What you need to do is select "manually partition the disc" instead of
selecting "automatic partitioning" which is what I think you are
currently selecting, and set the mount points for the partitions,
select format data for all partitions except for your /home (unless
there isn't anything there you wish to save) and any other partitions
you wish to retain the data on.

This will let you reuse your existing partitions.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to
ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my
apartment it is.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-17-2009, 08:18 PM
Adrian Levi
 
Default Problems with Lenny Installer

2009/2/18 Khristian Alexander Schönrock <der.kosak@gmail.com>:
> Adrian Levi escreveu:

>> This will let you reuse your existing partitions.
>>
> That's the problem. I'm selecting the manual partitioning, but it
> doesn't list the existing partitions. The installer simply defaults to
> the screen shown in
> [http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1602091747bg3.jpg], and going
> back doesn't change anything. This is really annoying.

All I can suggest you do is subscribe to debian-installer and ask your
questions there, I cant understand why the rescue mode would detect
the partitions but install mode wouldn't.

What install media are you using? Could you try another?

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to
ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my
apartment it is.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Khristian
 
Default Problems with Lenny Installer

Since I managed to solve the issue, I figured I'd tell you guys too :P
This is a copy of the message I sent there:

Well, I found out the cause of the problem: it seems that my previous
install of Ubuntu somehow managed to create a swap partition that
overlapped a bit of the beginning of the next partition. As a result
anything that used libparted could not read the partition list
properly, leading to that issue. I tested it with a livecd, using
gparted, and it showed the same result.
After running testdisk with a deep search, I removed the malformed
swap partition and created a new one, and succeeded in installing
lenny
Thanks for the help!

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Khristian Alexander Schönrock
<der.kosak@gmail.com> wrote:
> Adrian Levi escreveu:
>> 2009/2/18 Khristian Alexander Schönrock <der.kosak@gmail.com>:
>>
>>> Adrian Levi escreveu:
>>>
>>
>>
>>>> This will let you reuse your existing partitions.
>>>>
>>>>
>>> That's the problem. I'm selecting the manual partitioning, but it
>>> doesn't list the existing partitions. The installer simply defaults to
>>> the screen shown in
>>> [http://img23.imageshack.us/my.php?image=1602091747bg3.jpg], and going
>>> back doesn't change anything. This is really annoying.
>>>
>>
>> All I can suggest you do is subscribe to debian-installer and ask your
>> questions there, I cant understand why the rescue mode would detect
>> the partitions but install mode wouldn't.
>>
>> What install media are you using? Could you try another?
>>
>> Adrian
>>
>>
> I used the debian-500-amd64-kde-CD-1.iso image. I'm downloading the
> netinst image now, and hoping that it will work. If this fails too, I'll
> go bother the people at the debian-installer list :P
> Thanks for your help,
>
> --
> Khristian Alexander Schönrock
>



--
Khristian Alexander Schönrock
http://derkosak.blogspot.com - Meu blógue!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-18-2009, 05:35 PM
Jimmy Johnson
 
Default Problems with Lenny Installer

Khristian wrote:

Since I managed to solve the issue, I figured I'd tell you guys too :P
This is a copy of the message I sent there:

Well, I found out the cause of the problem: it seems that my previous
install of Ubuntu somehow managed to create a swap partition that
overlapped a bit of the beginning of the next partition. As a result
anything that used libparted could not read the partition list
properly, leading to that issue. I tested it with a livecd, using
gparted, and it showed the same result.
After running testdisk with a deep search, I removed the malformed
swap partition and created a new one, and succeeded in installing
lenny
Thanks for the help!


That's a new one for me to put in my memory bank, glad you got it sorted
and thinks for letting us know.

--
Jimmy Johnson

Bakersfield, CA. U.S.A.
Registered Linux User #380263
K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple stupid)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:11 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org