Old 02-16-2009, 04:28 PM

Default mediawiki-extension -- README?

Hi,

I'm trying to install extensions using the 'mediawiki-extensions' package.

There does not appear to be a 'README' in the package
http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/mediawiki-extensions/filelist

... and after searching the web... I could just come-up with:
Which basically says that... debian has a non-standard way of doing things here.

I've installed extensions in another install (of Mediawiki) independent of the debian package.

It is explained here for 'Cite':
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Cite/Cite.php

It involved downloading the extension and a couple of commands at the command line:
----
$ tar zvxf Cite-MW1.12-r33026.tar.gz
# cp -r Cite /var/www/wiki/extensions/
# cp ExtensionFunctions.php /var/www/wiki/extensions/

# locate LocalSettings.php
/var/www/wiki/LocalSettings.php

# vi /var/www/wiki/LocalSettings.php
--------------
# added the following...
require_once('extensions/Cite/Cite.php');
--------------
----

The Debian package 'mediawiki-extensions' has no README.

Based on '/etc/mediawiki-extensions/extensions.php' it looks like
extensions have to be copied into '/etc/mediawiki-extensions/extensions-enabled/'

It looks like one has to do the following...
# cp /etc/mediawiki-extensions/extensions-available/Cite.php /etc/mediawiki-extensions/extensions-enabled/

Is there more documentation somewhere?

Thanks,
Michael

Old 02-17-2009, 03:45 PM
John W Foster

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 18:28 +0100, sparcc@gmx.net wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to install extensions using the 'mediawiki-extensions' package.
>
> There does not appear to be a 'README' in the package
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/mediawiki-extensions/filelist
>
> ... and after searching the web... I could just come-up with:
> Which basically says that... debian has a non-standard way of doing things here.
The extensions package in debian sets up a pair of directories that are
very different than the tarball installation in /etc/mediawikiXXX/
You will need to manage the provided extensions in the same manner as
you doe the modules available, & sites available, system that is used in
apache2. The real issue with the debian system is that it is not
realistic to manage a real working wiki that "might" require the
addition of extensions that are not in the debian packages. It does
work, ONLY works well with the extensions that are packed with debian,
and that is a far cry from what is available. FYI I tried this about a
year ago and a yaer before that and both times decided to use the
standard installation as it worked well and I was able to modify it as
needed.
Determine your own mileage from these comments as they are NOT intended
to slam a package maintainer, just a recount of my personal experience.

--
John W. Foster