FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-16-2009, 01:45 AM
"H.S."
 
Default tools to get a mirror of modem/router configuration

Hello,

I vaguely recall that we can somehow "copy" or mirror the configuration
interface (accessible via a browser) of a modem or a router to a local
hard disk. This can be then browsed from that saved copy. Anybody know
if we have tools or packages in Debian to do so?

The objective is to 'mirror' the configuration of a modem so that I can
walk the user through the configuration steps whenever need be (I can
click through the interface on my copy and the user will be browsing his
modem's actual interface).

Thanks.
--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-19-2009, 06:32 PM
"H.S."
 
Default tools to get a mirror of modem/router configuration

H.S. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I vaguely recall that we can somehow "copy" or mirror the configuration
> interface (accessible via a browser) of a modem or a router to a local
> hard disk. This can be then browsed from that saved copy. Anybody know
> if we have tools or packages in Debian to do so?
>
> The objective is to 'mirror' the configuration of a modem so that I can
> walk the user through the configuration steps whenever need be (I can
> click through the interface on my copy and the user will be browsing his
> modem's actual interface).
>
> Thanks.


Anybody?

--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-19-2009, 07:20 PM
Ken Irving
 
Default tools to get a mirror of modem/router configuration

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 02:32:19PM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> H.S. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I vaguely recall that we can somehow "copy" or mirror the configuration
> > interface (accessible via a browser) of a modem or a router to a local
> > hard disk. This can be then browsed from that saved copy. Anybody know
> > if we have tools or packages in Debian to do so?
> >
> > The objective is to 'mirror' the configuration of a modem so that I can
> > walk the user through the configuration steps whenever need be (I can
> > click through the interface on my copy and the user will be browsing his
> > modem's actual interface).
> >
> > Thanks.
>
> Anybody?

I'm probably missing something here, but how about setting a symlink to
the config file(s) in a web-accessible directory. I often do something
like this, sometimes adding ".txt" to the end of the symlink name so
the server treats it as a text file.

I don't know what to make of the "click through" bit; that sounds like
maybe you want to generate a set of linked web pages from the config file,
which sounds like a job for perl, python, etc.

Ken

--
Ken Irving


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 PM
Celejar
 
Default tools to get a mirror of modem/router configuration

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:32:19 -0500
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> H.S. wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I vaguely recall that we can somehow "copy" or mirror the configuration
> > interface (accessible via a browser) of a modem or a router to a local
> > hard disk. This can be then browsed from that saved copy. Anybody know
> > if we have tools or packages in Debian to do so?
> >
> > The objective is to 'mirror' the configuration of a modem so that I can
> > walk the user through the configuration steps whenever need be (I can
> > click through the interface on my copy and the user will be browsing his
> > modem's actual interface).

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm having trouble imagining that
there can really be any solution for the general case. These units, at
least the home / SOHO types with which I'm familiar, all use
proprietary web based interfaces, often with lots of (yuck)
javascript. For any given interface, I suppose one could write some
sort of scraper, but how could this be implemented as a general tool?

Celejar
--
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-19-2009, 09:08 PM
"H.S."
 
Default tools to get a mirror of modem/router configuration

Celejar wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:32:19 -0500
> "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> H.S. wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I vaguely recall that we can somehow "copy" or mirror the configuration
>>> interface (accessible via a browser) of a modem or a router to a local
>>> hard disk. This can be then browsed from that saved copy. Anybody know
>>> if we have tools or packages in Debian to do so?
>>>
>>> The objective is to 'mirror' the configuration of a modem so that I can
>>> walk the user through the configuration steps whenever need be (I can
>>> click through the interface on my copy and the user will be browsing his
>>> modem's actual interface).
>
> I don't have an answer for you, but I'm having trouble imagining that
> there can really be any solution for the general case. These units, at
> least the home / SOHO types with which I'm familiar, all use
> proprietary web based interfaces, often with lots of (yuck)
> javascript. For any given interface, I suppose one could write some
> sort of scraper, but how could this be implemented as a general tool?


Yes, this particular modem has all the pages as a script (cgi).

Well, at least this shown I am not missing some tool that actually would
do this job.

Thanks.


--

Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
ever having been read.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:50 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org