-   -   Upgrading to Lenny & 2.6.26: serverworks OSB4 IDE problem (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/246115-upgrading-lenny-2-6-26-serverworks-osb4-ide-problem.html)

Tim Day 02-15-2009 10:46 PM

Upgrading to Lenny & 2.6.26: serverworks OSB4 IDE problem

I have an old dual-P3 Intel STL2 motherboard has been running Etch no
problem (2.6.18 kernel) for ages.
It has an IDE drive (root filesystem and swap, and it boots off it)
(/dev/hda on Etch) and a CD-ROM on the single IDE connector on the
motherboard, and a couple of big SATA drives hanging of some PCI-X card
(/dev/sda and /dev/sdb on Etch).

I upgraded it to lenny following the instructions (yes, setting
LABEL=rootfilesys on /dev/dha1 and changing /boot/grub/menu.lst
appropriately etc) but the 2.6.26 kernel seems to be completely ignorant
of the IDE devices and I just get the "Waiting for root filesystem..."
message. (It can clearly see the SATA drives though).

I can boot back into 2.6.18 no problem (and now via the
LABEL=rootfilesys mechanism).

In 2.6.18,
dmesg | grep -i ide
lists (edited for relevance):
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver Revision: 7.00alpha2
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus...
SvrWks OSB4: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:0f.1
ide0: BM-DMA at 0x14c0-0x14c7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb: DMA
ide0: BM-DMA at 0x14c0-0x14c7, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb: DMA
Probing IDE interface ide0...
id0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Probing IDE interface ide1...

But 2.6.26 only says
Uniform Multi-Platform E-IDE driver
ide: Assuming 33MHz system bus...
SvrWks OSB4: IDE controller (0x1166,0x0211 rev 0x00) at PCI slow
0000:00:0f.1
Serverworks_IDE: probe of 0000:00:0f.1 failed with error -16
And once it drops me to the prompt, all I see is the SATA drives.

I'm a bit out of my depth here....

My original assumption was that I'd somehow run foul of the hd*/sd*
renaming issue the release notes make a big deal out of, but the fact my
old 2.6.18 kernel is booting just fine via the new kopts
root=LABLEL=rootfilesys stuff seems to indicate this isn't the case.
Now I'm thinking that the new kernel simply doesn't like my IDE
hardware. Can anything be done about this ? I tried adding
ide0=0x1f0,0x3f6,14
on the kernel command line (based on where 2.6.18 found it); it didn't
make any difference but I later found something at kerneltrap.org
suggesting ide*=... options had been removed by 2.6.26.

Please, any suggestions for how to get the system onto 2.6.26 gratefully
received!

Thanks
Tim

Raj Kiran Grandhi 02-16-2009 02:27 AM

Tim Day wrote:

I have an old dual-P3 Intel STL2 motherboard has been running Etch no
problem (2.6.18 kernel) for ages.
It has an IDE drive (root filesystem and swap, and it boots off it)
(/dev/hda on Etch) and a CD-ROM on the single IDE connector on the
motherboard, and a couple of big SATA drives hanging of some PCI-X card
(/dev/sda and /dev/sdb on Etch).

I upgraded it to lenny following the instructions (yes, setting
LABEL=rootfilesys on /dev/dha1 and changing /boot/grub/menu.lst
appropriately etc) but the 2.6.26 kernel seems to be completely ignorant
of the IDE devices and I just get the "Waiting for root filesystem..."
message. (It can clearly see the SATA drives though).

I can boot back into 2.6.18 no problem (and now via the
LABEL=rootfilesys mechanism).

Alternatively, you can try the UUID=<filesystem-uuid> for mounting the
drive. Another option is to specify the names as sda, sdb, etc.

You can check the output of `tune2fs -l' to determine the necessary
parameters like label, UUID, etc.

Tim Day 02-16-2009 07:40 AM

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 08:57 +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> Alternatively, you can try the UUID=<filesystem-uuid> for mounting the
> drive.

Is there any reason to think the UUID version will work any better than
labels ? If I have the labels method working fine with 2.6.18, why
would they not work with 2.6.26 ?

> Another option is to specify the names as sda, sdb, etc.

Currently (2.6.18) I have a hda (the IDE drive) and an sda and sdb for
the 2 SATA drives. Is there any way to predict where the hda drive will
move to under 2.6.26 ? (ie should it appear as sda and the two existing
sd* drives will move up to sdb & sdc, or will hda move to sdc ?)

Thanks for any help
Tim

Bob Cox 02-16-2009 08:05 AM

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:40:51 +0000, Tim Day (timday@bottlenose.demon.co.uk) wrote:

> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 08:57 +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
> > Alternatively, you can try the UUID=<filesystem-uuid> for mounting the
> > drive.
>
> Is there any reason to think the UUID version will work any better than
> labels ? If I have the labels method working fine with 2.6.18, why
> would they not work with 2.6.26 ?
>
> > Another option is to specify the names as sda, sdb, etc.
>
> Currently (2.6.18) I have a hda (the IDE drive) and an sda and sdb for
> the 2 SATA drives. Is there any way to predict where the hda drive will
> move to under 2.6.26 ? (ie should it appear as sda and the two existing
> sd* drives will move up to sdb & sdc, or will hda move to sdc ?)

Your IDE drive should still be hda (or at least hdn rather than sdn)
with 2.6.26. At least, that is what I see here with IDE drives in two
separate lenny boxen, one of which was an upgrade from etch and one a
clean lenny install several months ago.

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Lisi Reisz 02-16-2009 08:12 AM

On Monday 16 February 2009 08:40:51 Tim Day wrote:
> Currently (2.6.18) I have a hda (the IDE drive) and an sda and sdb for
> the 2 SATA drives. Is there any way to predict where the hda drive will
> move to under 2.6.26 ? (ie should it appear as sda and the two existing
> sd* drives will move up to sdb & sdc, or will hda move to sdc ?)

This is the relevant info from my desktop:

~$ uname -a
Linux Tux 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP Sat Jan 10 18:29:31 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

# mount
/dev/hda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
[snip]
/dev/sda1 on /home type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sdb1 on /backup type ext3 (rw)
#

HTH
Lisi

Sven Joachim 02-16-2009 08:13 AM

On 2009-02-16 10:05 +0100, Bob Cox wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 08:40:51 +0000, Tim Day (timday@bottlenose.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 08:57 +0530, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
>> > Alternatively, you can try the UUID=<filesystem-uuid> for mounting the
>> > drive.
>>
>> Is there any reason to think the UUID version will work any better than
>> labels ? If I have the labels method working fine with 2.6.18, why
>> would they not work with 2.6.26 ?

I prefer labels as well, they are more readable than UUIDs.

>> > Another option is to specify the names as sda, sdb, etc.
>>
>> Currently (2.6.18) I have a hda (the IDE drive) and an sda and sdb for
>> the 2 SATA drives. Is there any way to predict where the hda drive will
>> move to under 2.6.26 ? (ie should it appear as sda and the two existing
>> sd* drives will move up to sdb & sdc, or will hda move to sdc ?)

I think this is not predictable, but I'm not an expert in this area.

> Your IDE drive should still be hda (or at least hdn rather than sdn)
> with 2.6.26. At least, that is what I see here with IDE drives in two
> separate lenny boxen, one of which was an upgrade from etch and one a
> clean lenny install several months ago.

Probably the reason is that there is no PATA driver for your
controllers. AFAIK these are preferred over the old IDE drivers now.

Sven

Bob Cox 02-16-2009 08:49 AM

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:13:52 +0100, Sven Joachim (svenjoac@gmx.de) wrote:

> On 2009-02-16 10:05 +0100, Bob Cox wrote:

> >> Is there any reason to think the UUID version will work any better than
> >> labels ? If I have the labels method working fine with 2.6.18, why
> >> would they not work with 2.6.26 ?
>
> I prefer labels as well, they are more readable than UUIDs.

I agree. It's much easier to keep track of things.

bob@trantor:~# blkid
[snip]
/dev/hda3: UUID="4502924a-6390-4733-8ab4-b6f39c9c4bf0" TYPE="ext3" LABEL="root"
/dev/hda5: TYPE="swap" LABEL="swap" UUID="4ea26ed2-6564-4d9d-a76d-3c38d65cc59a"
/dev/hda6: UUID="525361d1-e642-4b09-953e-3822d4c86c22" TYPE="ext3" LABEL="usr" SEC_TYPE="ext2"
/dev/hda7: UUID="5d2be57d-b446-499c-b89f-e2a7d91f1e24" TYPE="ext3" LABEL="home" SEC_TYPE="ext2"

bob@trantor:~$ grep LABEL /boot/grub/menu.lst
# kopt=root=LABEL=root ro vga=791
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26-1-686 root=LABEL=root ro vga=791

> >> Currently (2.6.18) I have a hda (the IDE drive) and an sda and sdb for
> >> the 2 SATA drives. Is there any way to predict where the hda drive will
> >> move to under 2.6.26 ? (ie should it appear as sda and the two existing
> >> sd* drives will move up to sdb & sdc, or will hda move to sdc ?)
>
> I think this is not predictable, but I'm not an expert in this area.
>
> > Your IDE drive should still be hda (or at least hdn rather than sdn)
> > with 2.6.26. At least, that is what I see here with IDE drives in two
> > separate lenny boxen, one of which was an upgrade from etch and one a
> > clean lenny install several months ago.
>
> Probably the reason is that there is no PATA driver for your
> controllers. AFAIK these are preferred over the old IDE drivers now.

Ah, thanks for that Sven. My hardware is quite old ;-)

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Tim Day 02-16-2009 08:57 AM

Upgrading to Lenny & 2.6.26: serverworks OSB4 IDE problem

> Probably the reason is that there is no PATA driver for your
> controllers. AFAIK these are preferred over the old IDE drivers now.

Well this is what I'm thinking based on the apparent lack of any IDE
goodness in the dmesg log. If that is the case:
- any way of getting them back via a custom kernel or kernel command
line prodding ?
- If I boot an install disk in rescue mode, and that doesn't find
them... well it would pretty much confirm the issue is due to lack of
support for IDE/PATA rather than anything to do with labels/UUIDs etc.
Will try this later.
- I believe the PCI-X SATA card supports booting (the SATA drives can
be selected for boot in the BIOS anyway, but I haven't actually tried
it) so I suppose I always have the option of migrating the machine
entirely to SATA.

Thanks for the tips
Tim

Sven Joachim 02-16-2009 11:26 AM

On 2009-02-16 10:57 +0100, Tim Day wrote:

>> Probably the reason is that there is no PATA driver for your
>> controllers. AFAIK these are preferred over the old IDE drivers now.
>
> Well this is what I'm thinking based on the apparent lack of any IDE
> goodness in the dmesg log. If that is the case:
> - any way of getting them back via a custom kernel or kernel command
> line prodding ?

Don't know, maybe you can try to build a custom kernel with
CONFIG_PATA_SERVERWORKS (it is disabled in the Debian kernel) which
seems to be the PATA driver for your IDE controller.

> - If I boot an install disk in rescue mode, and that doesn't find
> them... well it would pretty much confirm the issue is due to lack of
> support for IDE/PATA rather than anything to do with labels/UUIDs etc.

That seems to be the case here.

Sven

Tim Day 02-17-2009 09:32 PM

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 13:26 +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> Don't know, maybe you can try to build a custom kernel with
> CONFIG_PATA_SERVERWORKS (it is disabled in the Debian kernel) which
> seems to be the PATA driver for your IDE controller.

Yes that did the job; thanks for the tip.

Instructions at
http://kernel-handbook.alioth.debian.org/ch-common-tasks.html
were invaluable.

I also had to select the sata_mv module to get the SATA drives on the
PCI-X card to appear (lspci showed Marvell controller).
With the former hda moving to sda, they moved up from sda & sdb under
2.6.18 to sdb & sdc.

This was my first ever kernel compile in 9 years of linuxing (mostly
Debian). Previously stock kernels have always supported anything I've
put them on (and that includes a phase of installing linux on all sorts
of junk HW pulled out of people's trash/discarded by IT depts). Have I
just been lucky in the past, or is the policy on which drivers get built
into stock kernels changing (or just unable to keep up with an ever
increasing number of drivers) and I can expect to need to do this more
in future ?

Tim