FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-15-2009, 09:59 PM
Pavlos Parissis
 
Default upgrade to lenny report

Hi all,

This morning I upgraded my etch desktop to lenny.
All went ok but with 3 small issues.

1) Exim was refusing to start up due to no zero size on the paniclog file.
The file was reporting a configuration error on specific line, but not on the config
file that I use. Removing the lines from the paniclog made the exim4 to be started
again

2) X couldn't be start up due to a missing nv driver. xserver-xorg-video-nv was not
installed during the upgrade. I need to check the upgrade log to find out why, I use script for
capturing the upgrade.
Installing that package and restarting gdm solved the problem.

3) The gdm login screen is a bit more left that it should be.
I don't have that issue inside Gnome. I haven't managed to solve that one.

I use fb driver during boot in order to have 1280x1024 resolution at console.
When I configured fb.modes file (1 year ago), I hacked a bit the 1280x1024-60 mode
because the screen was a bit to left. Inside Gnome I have 1280x1024 at 75.

Since the problem at GDM login screen matched the problem at the console, I thought
that I could change the boot line at grub to use video=nvidiafb:1280x1024@75. But,
after the boot fbset -s says 1280x1024-60 and GDM login screen is still a bit to
left.

I could change the setting on my monitor (Sony SDM-HS75P), but that would break the
console screen and the screen inside Gnome, which they are fine.

Nevertheless, I am happy that I have the same setup 5 years now :-)

Cheers,
Pavlos


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-15-2009, 10:10 PM
Guillermo Garron
 
Default upgrade to lenny report

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 6:59 PM, Pavlos Parissis <p_pavlos@freemail.gr> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This morning I upgraded my etch desktop to lenny.
> All went ok but with 3 small issues.
>
> 1) Exim was refusing to start up due to no zero size on the paniclog file.
> The file was reporting a configuration error on specific line, but not on the config
> file that I use. Removing the lines from the paniclog made the exim4 to be started
> again
>
> 2) X couldn't be start up due to a missing nv driver. xserver-xorg-video-nv was not
> installed during the upgrade. I need to check the upgrade log to find out why, I use script for
> capturing the upgrade.
> Installing that package and restarting gdm solved the problem.
>
> 3) The gdm login screen is a bit more left that it should be.
> I don't have that issue inside Gnome. I haven't managed to solve that one.
>
> I use fb driver during boot in order to have 1280x1024 resolution at console.
> When I configured fb.modes file (1 year ago), I hacked a bit the 1280x1024-60 mode
> because the screen was a bit to left. Inside Gnome I have 1280x1024 at 75.
>
> Since the problem at GDM login screen matched the problem at the console, I thought
> that I could change the boot line at grub to use video=nvidiafb:1280x1024@75. But,
> after the boot fbset -s says 1280x1024-60 and GDM login screen is still a bit to
> left.
>
> I could change the setting on my monitor (Sony SDM-HS75P), but that would break the
> console screen and the screen inside Gnome, which they are fine.
>
> Nevertheless, I am happy that I have the same setup 5 years now :-)
>
> Cheers,
> Pavlos

Thanks a lot for your report, and also showing the rest how to solve
some issues that may happen.

regards,
--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."
(Using Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo)
http://feeds.feedburner.com/go2linux
http://www.go2linux.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2009, 06:13 AM
Sven Joachim
 
Default upgrade to lenny report

On 2009-02-15 23:59 +0100, Pavlos Parissis wrote:

> This morning I upgraded my etch desktop to lenny.
> All went ok but with 3 small issues.
>
> 1) Exim was refusing to start up due to no zero size on the paniclog file.
> The file was reporting a configuration error on specific line, but not on the config
> file that I use. Removing the lines from the paniclog made the exim4 to be started
> again

How old was that paniclog file? It may or may not be related to the
upgrade.

> 2) X couldn't be start up due to a missing nv driver. xserver-xorg-video-nv was not
> installed during the upgrade. I need to check the upgrade log to find out why, I use script for
> capturing the upgrade.

Please do that and file a bug report against the upgrade-reports
pseudopackage.

> 3) The gdm login screen is a bit more left that it should be.
> I don't have that issue inside Gnome. I haven't managed to solve that one.
>
> I use fb driver during boot in order to have 1280x1024 resolution at console.
> When I configured fb.modes file (1 year ago), I hacked a bit the 1280x1024-60 mode
> because the screen was a bit to left. Inside Gnome I have 1280x1024 at 75.
>
> Since the problem at GDM login screen matched the problem at the console, I thought
> that I could change the boot line at grub to use video=nvidiafb:1280x1024@75. But,
> after the boot fbset -s says 1280x1024-60 and GDM login screen is still a bit to
> left.

The nvidiafb module has always been a mystery to me, it seems to be
completely undocumented. Perhaps uvesafb might be worth a try? It will
be considerably slower than nvidiafb, though.

Sven


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2009, 12:39 PM
Kent West
 
Default upgrade to lenny report

Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2009-02-15 23:59 +0100, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
>
>
>> This morning I upgraded my etch desktop to lenny.
>> All went ok but with 3 small issues.
>>
>> 1) Exim was refusing to start up due to no zero size on the paniclog file.
>> The file was reporting a configuration error on specific line, but not on the config
>> file that I use. Removing the lines from the paniclog made the exim4 to be started
>> again
>>
>
> How old was that paniclog file? It may or may not be related to the
> upgrade.
>
>

I get the same thing:

Mon Feb 16 07:36:27
-------------
westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo ls -lh /var/lib/exim4
[sudo] password for westk:
total 24K
-rw-r--r-- 1 root Debian-exim 23K 2009-02-15 22:24 config.autogenerated


Mon Feb 16 07:36:41
-------------
westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo /etc/init.d/exim4 restart
Stopping MTA for restart: exim4_listener.
Restarting MTA: exim4.
ALERT: exim paniclog /var/log/exim4/paniclog has non-zero size, mail
system possibly broken failed!


Mon Feb 16 07:37:02
-------------
westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo ls -lh /var/lib/exim4
total 24K
-rw-r--r-- 1 root Debian-exim 23K 2009-02-16 07:36 config.autogenerated



--
Kent West <")))><
Westing Peacefully - http://kentwest.blogspot.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2009, 02:49 PM
Pavlos Parissis
 
Default upgrade to lenny report

On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 07:39:11 -0600
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> Sven Joachim wrote:
> > On 2009-02-15 23:59 +0100, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> >
> >
> >> This morning I upgraded my etch desktop to lenny.
> >> All went ok but with 3 small issues.
> >>
> >> 1) Exim was refusing to start up due to no zero size on the paniclog file.
> >> The file was reporting a configuration error on specific line, but not on the
> >> config file that I use. Removing the lines from the paniclog made the exim4 to
> >> be started again
> >>
> >
> > How old was that paniclog file? It may or may not be related to the
> > upgrade.
> >
> >
>
> I get the same thing:

Kent,

Since you have more info than me, could you please file a bug report.

I will file a bug report for the X issue with the missing module package.

Regards,
Pavlos


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Kent West
 
Default upgrade to lenny report

Pavlos Parissis wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 07:39:11 -0600
> Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
>
>
>> Sven Joachim wrote:
>>
>>> On 2009-02-15 23:59 +0100, Pavlos Parissis wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> This morning I upgraded my etch desktop to lenny.
>>>> All went ok but with 3 small issues.
>>>>
>>>> 1) Exim was refusing to start up due to no zero size on the paniclog file.
>>>> The file was reporting a configuration error on specific line, but not on the
>>>> config file that I use. Removing the lines from the paniclog made the exim4 to
>>>> be started again
>>>>
>>>>
>>> How old was that paniclog file? It may or may not be related to the
>>> upgrade.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> I get the same thing:
>>
>
> Kent,
>
> Since you have more info than me, could you please file a bug report.
>
> I will file a bug report for the X issue with the missing module package.
>
> Regards,
> Pavlos
>
>
>
Looks like Tino Keitel has already reported it.


--
Kent West <*)))><
http://kentwest.blogspot.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-22-2009, 08:35 AM
Emanoil Kotsev
 
Default upgrade to lenny report

Pavlos Parissis wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This morning I upgraded my etch desktop to lenny.
> All went ok but with 3 small issues.
>

Hello,

I upgraded my firewall server yesterday. I did upgrade from sarge -> etch ->
lenny as proposed here before.

Everything worked just fine. I hope I can upgrade my main server next days
the same easy way.

regards


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:16 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org