-   -   application like iPhoto on Debian GNU/Linux Etch? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/246064-application-like-iphoto-debian-gnu-linux-etch.html)

Csanyi Pal 02-15-2009 09:09 PM

application like iPhoto on Debian GNU/Linux Etch?

Hi,

is there an application on the Debian GNU/Linux Etch like iPhoto on
the Mac OS X operating system?

With it one can to import some rendered images and make a movie with
the File / Export command.

--
Regards, Paul Csanyi

Paul E Condon 02-23-2009 07:21 AM

On 2009-02-15_23:09:10, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there an application on the Debian GNU/Linux Etch like iPhoto on
> the Mac OS X operating system?
>
> With it one can to import some rendered images and make a movie with
> the File / Export command.

I spent a half hour today looking at Picasa for Linux. I prefer it to
iPhoto and am intending to install it on my daughter's Mac. I already
know that it plays much more nicely with non-Mac systems than iPhoto.

It also appears to have algorithms whose CPU usage don't scale with
the cube of the picture library size. IOW, its not really like iPhoto,
it lacks some of the klunkiness.

Picasa is a Google freebie. Free as in beer, not as in speech.

HTH
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Johann Spies 02-23-2009 07:27 AM

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 01:21:26AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 2009-02-15_23:09:10, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > is there an application on the Debian GNU/Linux Etch like iPhoto on
> > the Mac OS X operating system?
> >
> > With it one can to import some rendered images and make a movie with
> > the File / Export command.
> >

> I spent a half hour today looking at Picasa for Linux. I prefer it to
> iPhoto and am intending to install it on my daughter's Mac. I already
> know that it plays much more nicely with non-Mac systems than iPhoto.

You can also look at digikam, kphotoalbum and f-spot. I use f-spot a
lot and it is improving with every new version. Digikam and
kphotoalbum has some other advantages.

You can also look at qdvdauthor to create movies from a selection of
images.

Regards
Johann
--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is
profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction,
for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God
may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good
works." II Timothy 3:16,17

Paul E Condon 02-23-2009 07:00 PM

On 2009-02-23_10:27:43, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 01:21:26AM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:
> > On 2009-02-15_23:09:10, Csanyi Pal wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > is there an application on the Debian GNU/Linux Etch like iPhoto on
> > > the Mac OS X operating system?
> > >
> > > With it one can to import some rendered images and make a movie with
> > > the File / Export command.
> > >

> > I spent a half hour today looking at Picasa for Linux. I prefer it to
> > iPhoto and am intending to install it on my daughter's Mac. I already
> > know that it plays much more nicely with non-Mac systems than iPhoto.
>
> You can also look at digikam, kphotoalbum and f-spot. I use f-spot a
> lot and it is improving with every new version. Digikam and
> kphotoalbum has some other advantages.
>
> You can also look at qdvdauthor to create movies from a selection of
> images.

My special problem is a family in which there are people with Mac( and
iPhoto), and Windows, and me (with Debian). I want something that
works reasonably well on all three. And for which moving picture files
among the three is trivial. For this, iPhoto is not an answer. Digikam
is a candidate, but it is not Mac compatible, SFAIK. But all these
practical restrictions are subject to future developments, so none of
these opinions are likely to stand the test of time.

Also one family member has only 56kB modem access to the internet, so
picture sharing on the internet is not an option (for me).

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Johann Spies 02-24-2009 07:42 AM

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 01:00:39PM -0700, Paul E Condon wrote:

> My special problem is a family in which there are people with Mac( and
> iPhoto), and Windows, and me (with Debian). I want something that
> works reasonably well on all three. And for which moving picture files
> among the three is trivial. For this, iPhoto is not an answer. Digikam
> is a candidate, but it is not Mac compatible, SFAIK. But all these
> practical restrictions are subject to future developments, so none of
> these opinions are likely to stand the test of time.
>
> Also one family member has only 56kB modem access to the internet, so
> picture sharing on the internet is not an option (for me).

I am using a Macbook also. My main repository of photo's is on a
Linux PC. The recent Picasa runs well on both operating systems and
can be some sort of compromise. In my view Picasa is better than
iPhoto. I have made trivial 'moving slideshows' with Picasa also.
If you don't like Picasa's way of doing this, it is easy to export the
photo's you want to use and build a slidehow on the Mac with the mac
tools.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4036

"Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my
path." Psalms 119:105

kj 02-25-2009 11:58 AM

Paul E Condon wrote:
My special problem is a family in which there are people with Mac( and
iPhoto), and Windows, and me (with Debian). I want something that
works reasonably well on all three. And for which moving picture files

among the three is trivial. For this, iPhoto is not an answer. Digikam
is a candidate, but it is not Mac compatible, SFAIK. But all these
practical restrictions are subject to future developments, so none of

these opinions are likely to stand the test of time.

Also one family member has only 56kB modem access to the internet, so
picture sharing on the internet is not an option (for me).

I missed the earlier posts in this thread, so excuse my ignorance. Are
you aiming to share one photo repository between thee machines? In that
case Picasa would really be your only option. Mixing DAM applications
on the same data is really only going to cause trouble.

--kj

Dave Patterson 02-25-2009 02:29 PM

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:58:14PM +0000, kj wrote:

> I missed the earlier posts in this thread, so excuse my ignorance. Are
> you aiming to share one photo repository between thee machines? In that
> case Picasa would really be your only option. Mixing DAM applications
> on the same data is really only going to cause trouble.

I second that. I prefer F-Spot on my Linux machines, though.

Dave

Alex Samad 02-25-2009 08:47 PM

application like iPhoto on Debian GNU/Linux Etch?

On Wed, Feb 25, 2009 at 12:58:14PM +0000, kj wrote:
> Paul E Condon wrote:
>> My special problem is a family in which there are people with Mac( and
>> iPhoto), and Windows, and me (with Debian). I want something that
>> works reasonably well on all three. And for which moving picture files
>> among the three is trivial. For this, iPhoto is not an answer. Digikam
>> is a candidate, but it is not Mac compatible, SFAIK. But all these
>> practical restrictions are subject to future developments, so none of
>> these opinions are likely to stand the test of time.
>>
>> Also one family member has only 56kB modem access to the internet, so
>> picture sharing on the internet is not an option (for me).
>>

> I missed the earlier posts in this thread, so excuse my ignorance. Are
> you aiming to share one photo repository between thee machines? In that
> case Picasa would really be your only option. Mixing DAM applications
> on the same data is really only going to cause trouble.

might be a bit over the top, I use gallery2 its a apache,db solution,
web based works really well for me (~20K photo's)