FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-15-2009, 03:24 PM
John W Foster
 
Default Orphaned packages & libs removal question

I want to clean up my system as best I can. I have installed the
gtkorphan and deborphan for this purpose. My question is will these ONLY
remove .deb installed libs. I have several non-debian apps that I use
and do NOT want to remove libs that they require. Any suggestions??
Thanks!
--
John W. Foster


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-15-2009, 03:43 PM
John Hasler
 
Default Orphaned packages & libs removal question

John W. Foster writes:
> I want to clean up my system as best I can. I have installed the
> gtkorphan and deborphan for this purpose. My question is will these ONLY
> remove .deb installed libs?

They will only remove files installed by the package management system.

--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Osamu Aoki
 
Default Orphaned packages & libs removal question

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:24:50AM -0600, John W Foster wrote:
> I want to clean up my system as best I can. I have installed the
> gtkorphan and deborphan for this purpose. My question is will these ONLY
> remove .deb installed libs. I have several non-debian apps that I use
> and do NOT want to remove libs that they require. Any suggestions??

If you are asking question like this, it is not good idea to mix archive
unless they are in synch and supported.

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#packagesfrommixesourceofarchives

Osamu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Osamu Aoki
 
Default Orphaned packages & libs removal question

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:43:53AM -0600, John Hasler wrote:
> John W. Foster writes:
> > I want to clean up my system as best I can. I have installed the
> > gtkorphan and deborphan for this purpose. My question is will these ONLY
> > remove .deb installed libs?
>
> They will only remove files installed by the package management system.

TRUE!

But it may purge files if the original poster installed from Ubntu etc.
I was afraid that ".deb installed libs" was a sign for mixed apt source.

Osamu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-15-2009, 04:24 PM
John W Foster
 
Default Orphaned packages & libs removal question

On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 01:57 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:24:50AM -0600, John W Foster wrote:
> > I want to clean up my system as best I can. I have installed the
> > gtkorphan and deborphan for this purpose. My question is will these ONLY
> > remove .deb installed libs. I have several non-debian apps that I use
> > and do NOT want to remove libs that they require. Any suggestions??
>
> If you are asking question like this, it is not good idea to mix archive
> unless they are in synch and supported.
>
> http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#packagesfrommixesourceofarchives
>
> Osamu
Thanks Osamu: as usual, your insight is spot on:The system I just
upgraded to Lenny started out as a woody install some years ago and this
is my firts effort to streamline the system. May be my last!!!:_)

I am aware that this is not usually considered a good practice. However
debian as vast as it is does not provide software that meets all my
needs. I therefore sometimes either "roll my own" or use pre-compiled
binaries that are designed to be installed from the basic tarball. An
example of these is BRL-CAD and VARKON cad (old .debs). I also use
script driven apps such as Kompozer, MoneyDance, Gallery2 and the
tarball setup of Webmin as I prefer them, & with the exception of webmin
there are currently there are no debian maintainers to make these all
available, or in some case they are not "free" apps but stuff I pay for.
They install somes libs each time they are upgraded or installed.
My question is more specifically about the capabilities of GTKOrphan and
deborphan: Do these apps ONLY find orphaned libs from debian packages or
do they somehow locate libs that are NOT a dependency of a debian
package. If the latter is the case I can not use these to get rid of the
200 or so libs (mostly java) that the deborphan app located. I will have
to continue doing it by checking individual dependencies of all packages
from all the sources that I use.

I have one vote fron John Hasler saying they only find .deb libs anyone
else got any ideas. BTW; He ain't no rookie either:=)
--
John W. Foster


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-15-2009, 04:29 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
 
Default Orphaned packages & libs removal question

John W Foster wrote:
> They install somes libs each time they are upgraded or installed.
> My question is more specifically about the capabilities of GTKOrphan and
> deborphan: Do these apps ONLY find orphaned libs from debian packages or
> do they somehow locate libs that are NOT a dependency of a debian
> package. If the latter is the case I can not use these to get rid of the
> 200 or so libs (mostly java) that the deborphan app located. I will have
> to continue doing it by checking individual dependencies of all packages
> from all the sources that I use.
>

deborphan only knows about .deb packages. It will find libraries that no
package installed depend on, but if you installed them to satisfy the
dependencies of some manually installed tarball, for example, they will
be listed as "orphaned", but if you remove them that program will stop
working.

Conversely, if you manually installed libraries to satisfy dependencies
of some other manually installed tarball, deborphan will know nothing
about these libs. And there's no way it could, naturally.


--
My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my
life there.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Osamu Aoki
 
Default Orphaned packages & libs removal question

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:24:52AM -0600, John W Foster wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 01:57 +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:24:50AM -0600, John W Foster wrote:
> > > I want to clean up my system as best I can. I have installed the
> > > gtkorphan and deborphan for this purpose. My question is will these ONLY
> > > remove .deb installed libs. I have several non-debian apps that I use
> > > and do NOT want to remove libs that they require. Any suggestions??
> >
> > If you are asking question like this, it is not good idea to mix archive
> > unless they are in synch and supported.
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#packagesfrommixesourceofarchives
> >
> > Osamu
> Thanks Osamu: as usual, your insight is spot on:The system I just
> upgraded to Lenny started out as a woody install some years ago and this
> is my firts effort to streamline the system. May be my last!!!:_)
>
> I am aware that this is not usually considered a good practice. However
> debian as vast as it is does not provide software that meets all my
> needs. I therefore sometimes either "roll my own" or use pre-compiled
> binaries that are designed to be installed from the basic tarball. An
> example of these is BRL-CAD and VARKON cad (old .debs). I also use
> script driven apps such as Kompozer, MoneyDance, Gallery2 and the
> tarball setup of Webmin as I prefer them, & with the exception of webmin
> there are currently there are no debian maintainers to make these all
> available, or in some case they are not "free" apps but stuff I pay for.
> They install somes libs each time they are upgraded or installed.
> My question is more specifically about the capabilities of GTKOrphan and
> deborphan: Do these apps ONLY find orphaned libs from debian packages or
> do they somehow locate libs that are NOT a dependency of a debian
> package. If the latter is the case I can not use these to get rid of the
> 200 or so libs (mostly java) that the deborphan app located. I will have
> to continue doing it by checking individual dependencies of all packages
> from all the sources that I use.

In such case, using aptitude is easiest for checking dependency etc. At
lease I manage Ubuntu archive key package manually installed survive by
orphaning interactively.

Osamu


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-15-2009, 04:59 PM
John Hasler
 
Default Orphaned packages & libs removal question

There is nothing wrong with installing non-Debian packages as long as they
install in /usr/local or /opt and so stay out of the way of the
package-management system.
--
John Hasler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-15-2009, 06:04 PM
T o n g
 
Default Orphaned packages & libs removal question

On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:24:52 -0600, John W Foster wrote:

> I am aware that this is not usually considered a good practice. However
> debian as vast as it is does not provide software that meets all my
> needs. I therefore sometimes either " " or use pre-compiled
> binaries that are designed to be installed from the basic tarball. An
> example of these is BRL-CAD and VARKON cad (old .debs). I also use
> script driven apps such as Kompozer, MoneyDance, Gallery2 and the
> tarball setup of Webmin as I prefer them, & with the exception of webmin
> there are currently there are no debian maintainers to make these all
> available, or in some case they are not "free" apps but stuff I pay for.
> They install somes libs each time they are upgraded or installed. My
> question is more specifically about the capabilities of GTKOrphan and
> deborphan: Do these apps ONLY find orphaned libs from debian packages or
> do they somehow locate libs that are NOT a dependency of a debian
> package. If the latter is the case I can not use these to get rid of the
> 200 or so libs (mostly java) that the deborphan app located. I will have
> to continue doing it by checking individual dependencies of all packages
> from all the sources that I use.

Debian has already had a solution for this case -- install roll-you-own tools as debian packages via
checkinstall.

As long as you put correct dependency info in the created debian packages, deborphan should work with
your own packages fine.

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2009, 05:17 AM
Michael Pobega
 
Default Orphaned packages & libs removal question

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:24:50AM -0600, John W Foster wrote:
> I want to clean up my system as best I can. I have installed the
> gtkorphan and deborphan for this purpose. My question is will these ONLY
> remove .deb installed libs. I have several non-debian apps that I use
> and do NOT want to remove libs that they require. Any suggestions??
> Thanks!

Deborphans job is to check for orphaned Debian packages, and to my
understanding that doesn't include packages compiled from source. When
it comes to those you may want to apt-pin them and mark them as
irremovable -- then when you use Deborphan it should skip over the
pinned libs.

--
http://pobega.wordpress.com
http://identica/pobega
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:30 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org