Old 02-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Jochen Schulz

Default Some documents on 3 PCs

Allan Dreyer Andersen:

> Right now I'm copying my personal documents and pictures between these 3
> PC and it's a hell. And from time to time I miss copying specific files
> with updates ... so there must be a better way to handle all this.

During my studies, I had the same problem. First I tried unison, but I
found it too cumbersome. Then I switched to SVN and didn't regret it. In
the end I kept almost 1GB of data in my repository but common operations
were still fast. Today, I would probably try one of those distributed
VCSs like git because you cannot expect to always have network
connectivity. But SVN still is a good choice, so if you already know it
(or CVS, which is very similar) I propose you try that first.

J.
--
I want to keep my skin looking good but I believe all computers do the
same job.

Old 02-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Allan Dreyer Andersen

Jochen Schulz skrev:

During my studies, I had the same problem. First I tried unison, but I
found it too cumbersome. Then I switched to SVN and didn't regret it. In
the end I kept almost 1GB of data in my repository but common operations
were still fast. Today, I would probably try one of those distributed
VCSs like git because you cannot expect to always have network
connectivity. But SVN still is a good choice, so if you already know it
(or CVS, which is very similar) I propose you try that first.

Thanks a lot for your input Jochen and Clifford. I'll look into more of
SVN, VCS and Unison.

It's very much appreciated.

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
Allan Dreyer Andersen

Old 02-15-2009, 05:11 PM
"David Christensen"

Allan Dreyer Andersen wrote:

> copying my personal documents and pictures between these 3 PC
> Do you have some ideas how to solve this?

I've been using CVS [1] for many years with good results:

1. I dedicate an older machine as a CVS server (currently Pentium 3 800
MHz in DMZ behind an IPCop firewall [2] on a static IP).

2. For Windows machines, I use Cygwin [3] with DOS file endings.

3. For binary files, I need to remember to add the file extension to
cvswrappers.

HTH,

David

[1] http://ximbiot.com/cvs/wiki/

[2] http://www.ipcop.org/

[3] http://www.cygwin.com/

Old 02-15-2009, 06:27 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 10:11:43AM -0800, David Christensen wrote:
> Allan Dreyer Andersen wrote:
>
> > copying my personal documents and pictures between these 3 PC
> > Do you have some ideas how to solve this?
>
> I've been using CVS [1] for many years with good results:
>
> 1. I dedicate an older machine as a CVS server (currently Pentium 3 800
> MHz in DMZ behind an IPCop firewall [2] on a static IP).
>
> 2. For Windows machines, I use Cygwin [3] with DOS file endings.

SVN has explicit support for converting between dos and unix text
formats.

> 3. For binary files, I need to remember to add the file extension to
> cvswrappers.

IIRC SVN marks a file as binary automatically.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend