Old 02-15-2009, 07:03 AM
Allan Dreyer Andersen

Default Some documents on 3 PCs

Hi all

I have a laptop, a desktop both with Debian and another laptop provided
by my work with Windows XP.

Right now I'm copying my personal documents and pictures between these 3
PC and it's a hell. And from time to time I miss copying specific files
with updates ... so there must be a better way to handle all this.

Do you have some ideas how to solve this? I'm thinking to setup a server
and some SVN system, but is this the best way solving it or do you have
other suggestions?

Thanks a lot in advance.

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards
Allan Dreyer Andersen

Old 02-15-2009, 07:49 AM
"Clifford W. Hansen"

On Sunday 15 February 2009 10:03:55 Allan Dreyer Andersen wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I have a laptop, a desktop both with Debian and another laptop provided
> by my work with Windows XP.
>
> Right now I'm copying my personal documents and pictures between these 3
> PC and it's a hell. And from time to time I miss copying specific files
> with updates ... so there must be a better way to handle all this.
>
> Do you have some ideas how to solve this? I'm thinking to setup a server
> and some SVN system, but is this the best way solving it or do you have
> other suggestions?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance.
>
> --
> Venlig hilsen / Best regards
> Allan Dreyer Andersen

I would suggest unison, I use it at home to sync my work laptop with my home
fileserver (it's just a nfs/samba server and is not required)

Unison[1] is available for windows[2], and is in the Debian repositories[3].

NB. make sure the versions are the same across all the machines you are
syncing...

[1] http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
[2] http://alan.petitepomme.net/unison/index.html
[3] http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=unison