Old 02-15-2009, 06:40 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

Default Lenny?

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:09:03PM -0800, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> Girish Kulkarni wrote:
>
>> What is the typical timescale in which web site update and
>> upgrade/installation documentation come up? Can I change "etch" to
>> "lenny" in my sources.list to upgrade?

Yes. Lenny is already in the mirrors. It's just not called "stable". And
it is anyway a good idea not to use the names 'stable' and 'testing' in
sources.list .

> I did that months ago. Make sure you do it in text mode and first do
> "aptitude upgrade" after that's done then do "aptitude full-upgrade", if
> you already know this then disregard my comments.

Start with:

aptitude install aptitude

This will upgrade apt, dpkg, aptitude, libc6 and some other stuff.
Generally newer apt/aptitude is more apt in handling upgrades.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 02-15-2009, 09:08 AM
Szalai Balázs

>On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:09:03PM -0800, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>> Girish Kulkarni wrote:
>>
>>> What is the typical timescale in which web site update and
>>> upgrade/installation documentation come up? Can I change "etch" to
>>> "lenny" in my sources.list to upgrade?
>
>Yes. Lenny is already in the mirrors. It's just not called
"stable". And
>it is anyway a good idea not to use the names 'stable' and
'testing' in

>sources.list .
>

>> I did that months ago. Make sure you do it in text mode and first do
>> "aptitude upgrade" after that's done then do "aptitude full-
upgrade", if

>> you already know this then disregard my comments.
>
>Start with:
>
> aptitude install aptitude
>
>This will upgrade apt, dpkg, aptitude, libc6 and some other stuff.
>Generally newer apt/aptitude is more apt in handling upgrades.

The maintainers switched to lenny and a piece of letter does not come
from
neither the announce@ or the debian-user@.... This is not too
correct...

Best regards,

Balazs Szalai

Old 02-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Szalai Balázs

On 2009.02.15., at 11:08, Szalai Balázs wrote:

>On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:09:03PM -0800, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>> Girish Kulkarni wrote:
>>
>>> What is the typical timescale in which web site update and
>>> upgrade/installation documentation come up? Can I change
"etch" to

>>> "lenny" in my sources.list to upgrade?
>
>Yes. Lenny is already in the mirrors. It's just not called
"stable". And
>it is anyway a good idea not to use the names 'stable' and
'testing' in

>sources.list .
>

>> I did that months ago. Make sure you do it in text mode and
first do
>> "aptitude upgrade" after that's done then do "aptitude full-
upgrade", if

>> you already know this then disregard my comments.
>
>Start with:
>
> aptitude install aptitude
>
>This will upgrade apt, dpkg, aptitude, libc6 and some other stuff.
>Generally newer apt/aptitude is more apt in handling upgrades.

The maintainers switched to lenny and a piece of letter does not
come from
neither the announce@ or the debian-user@.... This is not too
correct...

Sorry sorry. I found it... in the DPN...

Balazs Szalai

Old 02-15-2009, 12:07 PM
Kent West

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:09:03PM -0800, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
>
>> Girish Kulkarni wrote:
>>

>>> What is the typical timescale in which web site update and
>>> upgrade/installation documentation come up? Can I change "etch" to
>>> "lenny" in my sources.list to upgrade?
>>>

> Yes. Lenny is already in the mirrors. It's just not called "stable". And
> it is anyway a good idea not to use the names 'stable' and 'testing' in
> sources.list .
>

>> I did that months ago. Make sure you do it in text mode and first do
>> "aptitude upgrade" after that's done then do "aptitude full-upgrade", if
>> you already know this then disregard my comments.
>>

> Start with:
>
> aptitude install aptitude
>
> This will upgrade apt, dpkg, aptitude, libc6 and some other stuff.
> Generally newer apt/aptitude is more apt in handling upgrades.

Should this be happening?

Sun Feb 15 07:05:59
-------------
westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo aptitude update
Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org lenny Release.gpg [386B]
Get:2 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release.gpg [189B]
Get:3 http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release.gpg [189B]
Hit http://ftp.debian.org lenny Release
Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release
Ign http://ftp.debian.org lenny/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release
Hit http://ftp.debian.org lenny/main Packages
Ign http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages
Fetched 3B in 1s (3B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: There is no public key available for the following key IDs:
4D270D06F42584E6

Kent West <")))><

Old 02-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Leniy Tsan

2009/2/15 Kent West <westk@acu.edu>

Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:09:03PM -0800, Jimmy Johnson wrote:

>> Girish Kulkarni wrote:

>>> What is the typical timescale in which web site update and

>>> upgrade/installation documentation come up? *Can I change "etch" to

>>> "lenny" in my sources.list to upgrade?

> Yes. Lenny is already in the mirrors. It's just not called "stable". And

> it is anyway a good idea not to use the names 'stable' and 'testing' in

> sources.list .

>> I did that months ago. Make sure you do it in text mode and first do

>> "aptitude upgrade" after that's done then do "aptitude full-upgrade", if

>> you already know this then disregard my comments.

> Start with:

> * aptitude install aptitude

> This will upgrade apt, dpkg, aptitude, libc6 and some other stuff.

> Generally newer apt/aptitude is more apt in handling upgrades.

Should this be happening?

Sun Feb 15 * * 07:05:59

-------------

westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo aptitude update

Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org lenny Release.gpg [386B]

Get:2 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release.gpg [189B]

Get:3 http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release.gpg [189B]

Hit http://ftp.debian.org lenny Release

Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release

Ign http://ftp.debian.org lenny/main Packages/DiffIndex

Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release

Hit http://ftp.debian.org lenny/main Packages

Ign http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex

Ign http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex

Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex

Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex

Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages

Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/contrib Packages

Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages

Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages

Fetched 3B in 1s (3B/s)

Reading package lists... Done

W: There is no public key available for the following key IDs:

4D270D06F42584E6

Kent West * * * * * * * * * * * * * <")))><

Greet!
update now
--
Do not , for one repulse , give up the purpose that you resolved to effect .

Old 02-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Kent West

Leniy Tsan wrote:

> 2009/2/15 Kent West <westk@acu.edu <mailto:westk@acu.edu>>
>

> Should this be happening?
>
> Sun Feb 15 07:05:59
> -------------
> westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo aptitude update
> Get:1 http://ftp.debian.org lenny Release.gpg [386B]
> Get:2 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release.gpg [189B]
> Get:3 http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release.gpg [189B]
> Hit http://ftp.debian.org lenny Release
> Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release
> Ign http://ftp.debian.org lenny/main Packages/DiffIndex
> Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release
> Hit http://ftp.debian.org lenny/main Packages
> Ign http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
> Ign http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/contrib
> Packages/DiffIndex
> Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
> Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
> Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages
> Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/contrib Packages
> Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
> Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages
> Fetched 3B in 1s (3B/s)
> Reading package lists... Done
> W: There is no public key available for the following key IDs:
> 4D270D06F42584E6
> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems
>

> Greet!
> update now

You mean, like this, which gives the same results?

Sun Feb 15 07:06:54
-------------
westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo apt-get update
Password:
Get:1 http://security.debian.org lenny/updates Release.gpg [189B]
Get:2 http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release.gpg [189B]
Get:3 http://ftp.debian.org lenny Release.gpg [386B]
Ign http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages/DiffIndex
Ign http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org lenny Release
Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org lenny/updates/contrib Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Packages
Hit http://security.debian.org etch/updates/contrib Packages
Ign http://ftp.debian.org lenny/main Packages/DiffIndex
Hit http://ftp.debian.org lenny/main Packages
Fetched 3B in 0s (4B/s)

Old 02-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 08:47:06 -0600, Kent West wrote:
> > 2009/2/15 Kent West:
> >
> > Should this be happening?

[...]

> westk[@]goshen]:/home/westk:> sudo apt-get update
> Password:

[...]

> W: There is no public key available for the following key IDs:
> 4D270D06F42584E6
> W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these problems

Check the version of your debian-archive-keyring package; the newest one
(2009.01.31) has this key:

$ gpg --keyring /usr/share/keyrings/debian-archive-keyring.gpg --list-key 4D270D06F42584E6
pub 1024D/F42584E6 2008-04-06 [expires: 2012-05-15]
uid Lenny Stable Release Key <debian-release AT lists DOT debian DOT org>

Florian |

Old 02-15-2009, 03:00 PM
Jeff Grossman

Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:

>On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:49:47AM +0530, Girish Kulkarni wrote:
>> What is the typical timescale in which web site update and
>> upgrade/installation documentation come up? Can I change "etch" to
>> "lenny" in my sources.list to upgrade?
>
>You can do that, and safely assume that it is stable. The reason why
>the "we have released" mail has not been sent is because the CD images
>are still being built/pushed to mirrors. Since that is a monstrous
>task, given the number of CD images Debian makes available, that final
>step will take some time.
>
>I guess you should be hearing the official "We've released!" news
>tomorrow. However, putting "lenny" in your sources.list will work
>fine. If your mirror is not fully up-to-date today, within a few days,
>only an incremental update will be needed, once the remaining
>differences are mirrored.

I just went to http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/ and it appears the
5.0 CD/DVD images are now up on the site. I would imagine the website
should be updated soon and an official release e-mail will also be
going out pretty soon.

Jeff

Old 02-15-2009, 03:07 PM
"Damon L. Chesser"

On Sunday 15 February 2009 01:19:47 am Girish Kulkarni wrote:

> Hello,

> Any news of Lenny yet? The Debian home page continues to say "The

> latest stable release of Debian is 4.0." and everyone seems quiet on

> the lists.

> The only places that gave an indication that Lenny is indeed the new

> stable were the README file on ftp.us.debian.org and Joerg Jaspert

> post on his blog:

> http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/README.html

> http://blog.ganneff.de/blog/2009/02/14/lenny-release.html

> What is the typical timescale in which web site update and

> upgrade/installation documentation come up? Can I change "etch" to

> "lenny" in my sources.list to upgrade?

> Thanks,

> Girish.

> --

> Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

Offically released Today, Sunday, February 15, 2009.

--

Damon L. Chesser

damon@damtek.com

http://www.linkedin.com/in/dchesser

Old 02-15-2009, 04:38 PM
Kumar Appaiah

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 08:00:49AM -0800, Jeff Grossman wrote:
> I just went to http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/ and it appears the
> 5.0 CD/DVD images are now up on the site. I would imagine the website
> should be updated soon and an official release e-mail will also be
> going out pretty soon.

Yes. Here is the information:

http://www.debian.org/News/2009/20090214

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.announce/38