Old 02-15-2009, 05:19 AM
Girish Kulkarni

Default Lenny?

Hello,

Any news of Lenny yet? The Debian home page continues to say "The
latest stable release of Debian is 4.0." and everyone seems quiet on
the lists.

The only places that gave an indication that Lenny is indeed the new
stable were the README file on ftp.us.debian.org and Joerg Jaspert
post on his blog:

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/README.html
http://blog.ganneff.de/blog/2009/02/14/lenny-release.html

What is the typical timescale in which web site update and
upgrade/installation documentation come up? Can I change "etch" to
"lenny" in my sources.list to upgrade?

Thanks,
Girish.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

Old 02-15-2009, 05:29 AM
Kumar Appaiah

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 11:49:47AM +0530, Girish Kulkarni wrote:
> What is the typical timescale in which web site update and
> upgrade/installation documentation come up? Can I change "etch" to
> "lenny" in my sources.list to upgrade?

You can do that, and safely assume that it is stable. The reason why
the "we have released" mail has not been sent is because the CD images
are still being built/pushed to mirrors. Since that is a monstrous
task, given the number of CD images Debian makes available, that final
step will take some time.

I guess you should be hearing the official "We've released!" news
tomorrow. However, putting "lenny" in your sources.list will work
fine. If your mirror is not fully up-to-date today, within a few days,
only an incremental update will be needed, once the remaining
differences are mirrored.

HTH.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah

Old 02-15-2009, 06:09 AM
Jimmy Johnson

Girish Kulkarni wrote:

What is the typical timescale in which web site update and
upgrade/installation documentation come up? Can I change "etch" to
"lenny" in my sources.list to upgrade?

I did that months ago. Make sure you do it in text mode and first do
"aptitude upgrade" after that's done then do "aptitude full-upgrade", if
you already know this then disregard my comments.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Bakersfield, CA. U.S.A.
Registered Linux User #380263