Old 02-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Dan Christensen

Default Getting X working with onboard NVidia 9400

I've just bought the following motherboard

Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 9400G IGP, 512MB

but can't get X to run. I'm using an old Debian etch installation, but
I have upgraded X and the kernel to lenny. I used the nvidia installer
to install driver version 180.29, and have confirmed that the kernel
module of that version number is loading. The error I get in Xorg.log is

(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:2:0:0.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Please see the COMMON PROBLEMS section in the README for
(EE) NVIDIA(0): additional information.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!

In dmesg, I get:

[ 2765.100578] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 180.29 Wed Feb 4 23:44:25 PST 2009
[ 2774.450899] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x31:0xffffffff:1018)
[ 2774.450906] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed

I'm using an xorg.conf file generated by nvidia-xconfig. I've put my
xorg.conf and the full Xorg.log at

http://jdc.math.uwo.ca/tmp/nvidia/

The X version is "X.Org X Server 1.4.2" and the kernel is
linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 2.6.26-13.

I've also tried compiling the Debian nvidia-kernel-source package,
version 180.22, from experimental, with the same results.

As an experiment, I tried the Debian nv driver, but it is too old to
support this card, and I tried the vesa driver and got mtrr errors.
A rescue CD I tried was able to bring up a basic X session, and I
haven't yet done so again to see what config it used.

Any thoughts? Should I try asking in the nvidia forum?

Dan

Old 02-21-2009, 01:58 AM
Dan Christensen

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> I've just bought the following motherboard
>
> Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H, 9400G IGP, 512MB
>
> but can't get X to run. I'm using an old Debian etch installation, but
> I have upgraded X and the kernel to lenny. I used the nvidia installer
> to install driver version 180.29, and have confirmed that the kernel
> module of that version number is loading. The error I get in Xorg.log is
>
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device PCI:2:0:0.
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Please see the COMMON PROBLEMS section in the README for
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): additional information.
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
>
> In dmesg, I get:
>
> [ 2765.100578] NVRM: loading NVIDIA UNIX x86 Kernel Module 180.29 Wed Feb 4 23:44:25 PST 2009
> [ 2774.450899] NVRM: RmInitAdapter failed! (0x31:0xffffffff:1018)
> [ 2774.450906] NVRM: rm_init_adapter(0) failed
>
> I'm using an xorg.conf file generated by nvidia-xconfig. I've put my
> xorg.conf and the full Xorg.log at
>
> http://jdc.math.uwo.ca/tmp/nvidia/
>
> The X version is "X.Org X Server 1.4.2" and the kernel is
> linux-image-2.6.26-1-686 2.6.26-13.
>
> I've also tried compiling the Debian nvidia-kernel-source package,
> version 180.22, from experimental, with the same results.
>
> As an experiment, I tried the Debian nv driver, but it is too old to
> support this card, and I tried the vesa driver and got mtrr errors.
> A rescue CD I tried was able to bring up a basic X session, and I
> haven't yet done so again to see what config it used.
>
> Any thoughts? Should I try asking in the nvidia forum?
>
> Dan

I've figured this out, and for the sake of the archives, here's my
solution: all I did was upgrade grub from etch to lenny and run
grub-install "(hd0)", and then after a reboot things worked!

Also for the record, I posted lots of information here:

Dan