Old 02-14-2009, 10:30 PM
Mike McClain

Default digital camera recomendations

I'm in the market for an inexpensive digital camera.
Just for snapshots and was wondering if anyone had recommendations
or knows where I could find which are going to work with Debian.
Just something simple with USB, AA batteries and that uses a generic
mem card.
Thanks,
Mike

Old 02-14-2009, 11:48 PM
Allan Wind

On 2009-02-14T15:30:41, Mike McClain wrote:
> I'm in the market for an inexpensive digital camera.
> Just for snapshots and was wondering if anyone had recommendations
> or knows where I could find which are going to work with Debian.
> Just something simple with USB,

Most cameras support mass storage device class these days.

> AA batteries

That is probably what limits your choices the most.

> and that uses a generic
> mem card.

You may want to make that one of the SD (or Compact Flash). Sony, I
think, are the only company that pushes memory sticks. MMC was iffy on
Linux although I think things improved and the world is moving on.

Check out: <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs.asp>.

Unless you plan on enlarging or cropping your images mega pixels (MP) is
irrelevant. If you can try take some photos of people in conditions
that require flash. Some cameras elicit closed eyes, others are too
slow to capture what you point at.

We have been disappointed with Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX35 (2008), and
somewhat frustrated with the closed eyes of a Nikon Coolpix 7900 (2005)
but have some beautiful results from it. If you don't mind the bulk
check out the entry level DSLRs; they use bigger sensors than point and
shoot cameras and are coming down in price.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

Old 02-15-2009, 12:14 AM
mitch

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 15:30 -0800, Mike McClain wrote:
> I'm in the market for an inexpensive digital camera.
> Just for snapshots and was wondering if anyone had recommendations
> or knows where I could find which are going to work with Debian.
> Just something simple with USB, AA batteries and that uses a generic
> mem card.
> Thanks,
> Mike

I work at a nationwide chain of Camera/Imaging stores.

AA batteries are used in Nikon, Canon and Fuji's and Panasonic. Best to
go with rechargeable batteries.

Most use SD cards. Olympus still uses xD and Sony uses Memory Sticks.

All are capable of producing snap shots. Have a look at the Fuji J150W,
although it does not use AA's, we moved a lot of them at the holiday and
people are very pleased with the product.

Nikon L18's are +/- 119$

Have a look at Canon A series, also.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:18 AM
"H.S."

Allan Wind wrote:

> Most cameras support mass storage device class these days.
>
>> AA batteries

How about Canon Powershot A620 or a more recent model in these series?

> That is probably what limits your choices the most.
>
>> and that uses a generic
>> mem card.
>
> You may want to make that one of the SD (or Compact Flash). Sony, I
> think, are the only company that pushes memory sticks. MMC was iffy on
> Linux although I think things improved and the world is moving on.

I have experience with DSC S40 digital camera by Sony. It uses memory
stick. But it plays really nice with Linux (Ubuntu 8.04 in this case).
IIRC, it plays nicer than some Canon cameras .... I was able to change
the label of the memory stick while the camera was connected to the USB
port, something I haven't been able to do with a Canon camera. Other
than this little quirk though, I have never had a problem with any Canon
camera either (have Powershot A520 and G5, both work quite nicely with
Debian Testing, Unstable and Ubuntu).

ever having been read.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:32 AM
Alex Samad

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 08:18:32PM -0500, H.S. wrote:
> Allan Wind wrote:
>
> > Most cameras support mass storage device class these days.
> >
> >> AA batteries
>
> How about Canon Powershot A620 or a more recent model in these series?

we just bought a power shot g10 love it and it works well with debian -
mass storage and its recognised as a digital camera

the only issue i have is the flash takes a bit to get ready when turning
on

> > That is probably what limits your choices the most.
> >
> >> and that uses a generic
> >> mem card.
> >
> > You may want to make that one of the SD (or Compact Flash). Sony, I
> > think, are the only company that pushes memory sticks. MMC was iffy on
> > Linux although I think things improved and the world is moving on.
>

> I have experience with DSC S40 digital camera by Sony. It uses memory
> stick. But it plays really nice with Linux (Ubuntu 8.04 in this case).
> IIRC, it plays nicer than some Canon cameras .... I was able to change
> the label of the memory stick while the camera was connected to the USB
> port, something I haven't been able to do with a Canon camera. Other
> than this little quirk though, I have never had a problem with any Canon
> camera either (have Powershot A520 and G5, both work quite nicely with
> Debian Testing, Unstable and Ubuntu).
>

> --
>
> Please reply to this list only. I read this list on its corresponding
> newsgroup on gmane.org. Replies sent to my email address are just
> filtered to a folder in my mailbox and get periodically deleted without
> ever having been read.

NEVER RESPOND TO CRITICAL PRESS. IT IS A GAME YOU CAN ONLY LOSE, AND IT
MAKES US LOOK BAD.
-- Bruce Perens

Old 02-15-2009, 11:13 AM
Paul Cartwright

On Sat February 14 2009, Mike McClain wrote:
> I'm in the market for an inexpensive digital camera.
> Just for snapshots and was wondering if anyone had recommendations
> or knows where I could find which are going to work with Debian.
> Just something simple with USB, AA batteries and that uses a generic
> mem card.

when you say "generic" memory card.. just a small FYI. As I found out when I
added an 8Gb card for my mp3 player. Neither one of my PCs with SD slots
would recognize it. for anything over 4Gb you need it to be an HDSC capable
slot, not just SD.. My camera has the USB cable to PC, so it will transfer
just fine, but I made the mistake of trying to plug in the 8GB card from the
MP3 player directly into the PC, and that didn't work. As long as you can
just plug the camera into the PC using the USB cable it just work fine.

For my camera I use digikam app , fire up digikam, and tell it to import from
USB-camera, and it brings up a nice window with all the pictures on the
camera that you can select from to transfer/delete..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 PM
kj

Mike McClain wrote:

I'm in the market for an inexpensive digital camera.
Just for snapshots and was wondering if anyone had recommendations
or knows where I could find which are going to work with Debian.
Just something simple with USB, AA batteries and that uses a generic
mem card.
Thanks,
Mike

Out of curiosity, why AA? Losing the AA will give you a much more
compact camera. Very few cameras accept AA batteries these days
anyway. Either ways, just get a USB card reader - they can be had for
a few bucks and show up as a generic mass storage device, regardless of
the type of card.

--kj

Old 02-18-2009, 04:34 PM
Mike McClain

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:40:04PM +0000, kj wrote:
> Mike McClain wrote:
> >I'm in the market for an inexpensive digital camera.
<snip>

> Out of curiosity, why AA? Losing the AA will give you a much more
> compact camera. Very few cameras accept AA batteries these days
> anyway. Either ways, just get a USB card reader - they can be had for
> a few bucks and show up as a generic mass storage device, regardless of
> the type of card.

AA batteries are cheap, readily available and I can get NiCad and NiMH.
Custom rechargable battery packs are like printer ink cartridges.

Mike

Old 02-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:40:04PM +0000, kj wrote:
> Mike McClain wrote:
>> I'm in the market for an inexpensive digital camera.
>> Just for snapshots and was wondering if anyone had recommendations
>> or knows where I could find which are going to work with Debian.
>> Just something simple with USB, AA batteries and that uses a generic
>> mem card.
>> Thanks,
>> Mike
>
> Out of curiosity, why AA? Losing the AA will give you a much more
> compact camera. Very few cameras accept AA batteries these days
> anyway.

while I can't speak for OP, I love having a camera that takes AA for a
variety of reasons: ready availability of spares anywhere, common
usage in a multitude of devices meaning my stock of rechargeables is
more versatile, big hands don't like tiny tiny cameras ;-)

Old 02-18-2009, 05:21 PM
"H.S."

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 04:40:04PM +0000, kj wrote:
>> Mike McClain wrote:
>>> I'm in the market for an inexpensive digital camera.
>>> Just for snapshots and was wondering if anyone had recommendations
>>> or knows where I could find which are going to work with Debian.
>>> Just something simple with USB, AA batteries and that uses a generic
>>> mem card.
>>> Thanks,
>>> Mike
>> Out of curiosity, why AA? Losing the AA will give you a much more
>> compact camera. Very few cameras accept AA batteries these days
>> anyway.
>
> while I can't speak for OP, I love having a camera that takes AA for a
> variety of reasons: ready availability of spares anywhere, common
> usage in a multitude of devices meaning my stock of rechargeables is
> more versatile, big hands don't like tiny tiny cameras ;-)

In my experience, the proprietary batteries last longer but are much
more expensive. In a G5 I have, the battery needed to be replaced after
around 4 years. And some months after that the camera developed a few
hot pixels. So it appears as though the life of the CCD sensor may not
be that much longer than the propitiatory battery, which actually gives
a much better performance.

In addition to the cost factor, the main quirk I have with these kind of
models is that the camera cannot be used during the recharging of the
battery (unless one buys an external charger, though some camera may
have them included).

Having said this, I also have a A520 which takes AA batteries. I also
have one of those wonderful Maha chargers which trickle charge batteries
after they are fully charge. So I can use a set of AA batteries while
the other is being charged. The downside is that I have to take the
charger with me if I travel. Finally, rechargeable NiMH batteries last
longer and change used in other appliances as well and are cheaper than
proprietary ones.

Final word: depends on the usage and the user of the camera. Eg. I
prefer AA batteries. But recently an uncle of mine, who is a senior
citizen, asked for camera recommendation and I suggested he go for a
camera with a "built-in battery". It is much more compact and there is
lesser stuff to worry about.

ever having been read.