Old 02-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Zach Uram

Default adding secure accounts for remote users?

I want to give some friends accounts on my server so that they can

1) ssh in to the sever
2) have web space on the apache2 webserver such as $HOME/public_html
so they would be http://www.server.org/~user

How exactly can I setup these 2 things?

Also how can I restrict the users to *only* their $HOME directory so
they cannot cd or ls any other directories or files on my filesystem?

Running Debian lenny.

Zach

Old 02-14-2009, 08:08 PM
Shams Fantar

Zach Uram wrote:

I want to give some friends accounts on my server so that they can

1) ssh in to the sever

You just need to install openssh-server on your server, and you need to
add system users with adduser.

2) have web space on the apache2 webserver such as $HOME/public_html
so they would be http://www.server.org/~user

Each user has to create the folder public_html in his home.

And, for apache, read the apache documentation :
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/public_html.html

How exactly can I setup these 2 things?

Also how can I restrict the users to *only* their $HOME directory so
they cannot cd or ls any other directories or files on my filesystem?

You can't really do that, maybe with a chroot, but that solution is not
realy securited.

Running Debian lenny.

Zach

Regards