Old 02-14-2009, 03:54 PM
Michael Pobega

Default "On battery power, so skipping file system check" when in AC power

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 07:15:46AM +0000, Virgo Pärna wrote:
> Does anyone else also receives "On battery power, so skipping file
> system check" warning, when starting up a laptop with AC power
> connected? Especially in Lenny.

Is your ACPI working properly? There may be an ACPI problem that causes
the computer to not be able to tell the OS if it's on AC power or not.

--
http://pobega.wordpress.com
http://identica/pobega

Old 02-16-2009, 05:32 AM
Chris Bannister

Sorry Virgo for not replying to your OP, as I've already deleted it.

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 12:03:56PM +0100, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:
> Virgo Pärna wrote:
> > Does anyone else also receives "On battery power, so skipping file system check"
> > warning, when starting up a laptop with AC power connected? Especially in Lenny.
> >
> fine on Thinkpad T60p.
> johannes

root@box:~# zless /usr/share/doc/powermgmt-base/changelog.gz
powermgmt-base (1.30+nmu1) unstable; urgency=low

* NMU
* on_ac_power: Use /sys/class/power_supply on 2.6.25+ systems where
/proc/acpi/ac_adaptor is no longer present. Closes: #473629
(Patch by Vefa Bicakci.)

-- Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> Mon, 01 Sep 2008 13:27:22 -0400

Ooops, a typo in the changelog.gz!!! It *should* be
"/proc/acpi/ac_adapter", at least on this system it is.

Hopefully, that error hasn't propagated into the code, or the patch is
useless!!!

root@box:~# apt-cache policy powermgmt-base
powermgmt-base:
Installed: 1.30+nmu1
Candidate: 1.30+nmu1
Version table:
*** 1.30+nmu1 0
990 http://debian.attica.net.nz lenny/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

IOW, does "apt-get install powermgmt-base" fix it?

If not bug #473629 may need to be reopened, but alas, maybe to late for
Lenny.

--
Chris.
======

Old 02-21-2009, 09:19 AM
Chris Bannister

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 06:57:55AM +0000, Virgo Pärna wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 19:32:25 +1300, Chris Bannister <mockingbird@earthlight.co.nz> wrote:
> >
> > IOW, does "apt-get install powermgmt-base" fix it?
> >

> Nope, I had powermgmt-base already installed and it is in latest version.
> Anyway - it seems, that it takes too long for system to figure out, that it is
> running on AC power. During that phase of startup it actually thinks, that it is
> running on battery. But when system is up, it thinks that it is running on AC
> power.

And you know this from "skipping filesystem check cos on battery"
message?

Have a look at "less /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh" especially:
===========================
# See if we're on AC Power. If not, we're not gonna run our
# check. If on_ac_power (in /usr/) is unavailable, behave as
# before and check all file systems needing it.
if which on_ac_power >/dev/null 2>&1 && [ "$rootcheck" = yes ]
then
on_ac_power >/dev/null 2>&1
if [ "$?" -eq 1 ]
then
log_warning_msg "On battery power, so skipping file system check."
rootcheck=no
fi
fi

===========================
root@box:~# which on_ac_power
/usr/bin/on_ac_power

root@box:~# dpkg -S /usr/bin/on_ac_power
powermgmt-base: /usr/bin/on_ac_power

Did you read the bug report to see if there was anything related? How do
you know the bug was actually fixed? (considering the error in the
changelog.gz file.)

--
Chris.
======

Old 02-21-2009, 02:09 PM
Henrique de Moraes Holschuh

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009, Clifford W. Hansen wrote:
> On Saturday 14 February 2009 09:15:46 Virgo Pärna wrote:
> > Does anyone else also receives "On battery power, so skipping file
> > system check" warning, when starting up a laptop with AC power connected?
> > Especially in Lenny.
> >
> > --
> > Virgo Pärna
> > virgo.parna@mail.ee
>
> I also get this when on battery power, and it works fine when on AC power.
>
> I believe this is actually a good thing cause if you checking your disks and
> then run out of battery bad things(tm) can happen...

It is actually a FUBAR piece of crap, it skips the fscks even when the
filesystems are dirty (which is guaranteed to cause a much worse data loss
if the filesystem is corrupt), and it causes /forcefsck to be ignored (which
is unacceptable).

There's a bug open about it, and we're going to fix it one way or the other.

We just don't know what would be the best way yet, since fsck can't be told
to ignore the "fsck after N mounts or M days without a check" right now.

IMO, we may have to dump the whole idea entirely, and tell people how to
tune their filesystems to drop the "N mounts or M days" stuff. When that is
done, the system will fsck only when required. We may keep the battery
check as an optional thing that must be explicitly enabled, since it can
make a data loss episode a lot worse.

And we can certainly provide an alternative way to do rolling fscks after
some time has passed if fsck can't be fixed to let us do it the easy way.

Henrique Holschuh