Old 02-13-2009, 03:32 PM
vwf

Default problem cleaning /tmp /var/run, etc

Hi,

I found a problem. I installed Lenny last May on a new PC. Since a few
weeks I found that /tmp and /var/run are not cleaned during boot. The
oldest entry in /var/run is 1985-01-01. I checked everything, but all
looks good.

Does anyone know the reason that mountall-bootclean.sh does not do it's
works?

In addition, does anyone how I can log the activity and problems
associated with mountall-bootclean.sh?

The texts are running over my screen too fast to be read.

Thank you

Old 02-13-2009, 05:12 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-02-13 17:32 +0100, vwf wrote:

> I found a problem. I installed Lenny last May on a new PC. Since a few
> weeks I found that /tmp and /var/run are not cleaned during boot. The
> oldest entry in /var/run is 1985-01-01. I checked everything, but all
> looks good.

Are you sure that these entries are not coming from scripts that had
been run during the _new_ boot? Note that the sudo initscript sets the
timestamp of /var/run/sudo to 1985-01-01 to invalidate any tickets.

Sven

Old 02-14-2009, 05:18 AM
vwf

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 07:12:26PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> On 2009-02-13 17:32 +0100, vwf wrote:
>
> > I found a problem. I installed Lenny last May on a new PC. Since a few
> > weeks I found that /tmp and /var/run are not cleaned during boot. The
> > oldest entry in /var/run is 1985-01-01. I checked everything, but all
> > looks good.
>
> Are you sure that these entries are not coming from scripts that had
> been run during the _new_ boot? Note that the sudo initscript sets the
> timestamp of /var/run/sudo to 1985-01-01 to invalidate any tickets.

That solves the sudo mystery, but others remain. One is /var/run/exim4/,
which is not installed, /var/run/apache2/, /var/run/hplip/,
/var/run/identd/, /var/run/sshd/, and others, which are empty. I would
expect them to be gone. In addition, /tmp is only cleaned when I do it
manually.

Frits

Old 02-14-2009, 05:46 AM
Thierry Chatelet

On 14 February 2009 07:18:46 vwf wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 07:12:26PM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
> > On 2009-02-13 17:32 +0100, vwf wrote:
> > > I found a problem. I installed Lenny last May on a new PC. Since a few
> > > weeks I found that /tmp and /var/run are not cleaned during boot. The
> > > oldest entry in /var/run is 1985-01-01. I checked everything, but all
> > > looks good.
> >
> > Are you sure that these entries are not coming from scripts that had
> > been run during the _new_ boot? Note that the sudo initscript sets the
> > timestamp of /var/run/sudo to 1985-01-01 to invalidate any tickets.
>
> That solves the sudo mystery, but others remain. One is /var/run/exim4/,
> which is not installed, /var/run/apache2/, /var/run/hplip/,
> /var/run/identd/, /var/run/sshd/, and others, which are empty. I would
> expect them to be gone. In addition, /tmp is only cleaned when I do it
> manually.
>
> Frits

I also have a lot of empty folders in /var/run/ with date that seems to be
when I first installed the debian system. Actually, all empty folders have
dates from the first install. Things like alsa, sshd, cups and so on.
Thierry

Old 02-14-2009, 07:19 AM
Sven Joachim

On 2009-02-14 07:18 +0100, vwf wrote:

> That solves the sudo mystery, but others remain. One is /var/run/exim4/,
> which is not installed, /var/run/apache2/, /var/run/hplip/,
> /var/run/identd/, /var/run/sshd/, and others, which are empty. I would
> expect them to be gone.

Subdirectories of /var/run are left alone, possibly to avoid problems
with buggy packages that forget to recreate them in their init script.
I'm not sure that this is TRT because having /var/run on a tmpfs is
supposed to be supported, but that's how things currently are.

> In addition, /tmp is only cleaned when I do it manually.

What is the value of TMPTIME in /etc/default/rcS ?

Sven

Old 02-14-2009, 08:42 AM
vwf

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 09:19:47AM +0100, Sven Joachim wrote:
[....]
> Subdirectories of /var/run are left alone, possibly to avoid problems
> with buggy packages that forget to recreate them in their init script.
> I'm not sure that this is TRT because having /var/run on a tmpfs is
> supposed to be supported, but that's how things currently are.

OK. Not pretty, but reasonable

> > In addition, /tmp is only cleaned when I do it manually.
>
> What is the value of TMPTIME in /etc/default/rcS ?

I left it default:
TMPTIME=0
SULOGIN=no
DELAYLOGIN=no