Old 02-13-2009, 06:37 AM
Mark Allums

Default exFat (FAT64) on Linux

Now that exFat FS is being used in Vista SP1 and now XP (with a hotfix)
as well as Windows Embedded CE 6.0, when can we expect it in Debian?
Are there any implementations (even merely read-only) yet? The license
is probably unclear; FAT has patents, but we use FAT32/vfat anyway.

The point is, it has a lot of nice features, it is quite a good choice
for USB flash drives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

MArk Allums

Old 02-13-2009, 08:03 AM
Dennis Kramer

Hmm, reading the wiki thanks to the link you've provided I stumbled upon:

"..Linux users can read exFAT using the free linux kernel patch."

http://userweb.kernel.org/~hirofumi/exfat/exfat.tar.gz

Now that exFat FS is being used in Vista SP1 and now XP (with a hotfix) as
well as Windows Embedded CE 6.0, when can we expect it in Debian? Are there
any implementations (even merely read-only) yet? The license is probably
unclear; FAT has patents, but we use FAT32/vfat anyway.

The point is, it has a lot of nice features, it is quite a good choice for
USB flash drives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ExFAT

MArk Allums

M.D. Kramer
Fingerprint: 7A29 D2CD AFC0 6871 EA6E 0D0E 2DAF EE6B 9926 5743

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth"

Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Paul Cartwright

On Fri February 13 2009, Dennis Kramer wrote:
> "..Linux users can read exFAT using the free linux kernel patch."
>
> http://userweb.kernel.org/~hirofumi/exfat/exfat.tar.gz

can someone explain what to do with these??

http://userweb.kernel.org/~hirofumi/exfat/exfat.tar.gz

exfat/series is patch order to apply, and exfat/patches/* is patches.

----------------------
it is just a bunch of folders with .patch files, no readme, no info...

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 02-13-2009, 02:29 PM
"Thomas Preud'homme"

On Friday 13 February 2009 16:21:38 Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Fri February 13 2009, Dennis Kramer wrote:
> > "..Linux users can read exFAT using the free linux kernel patch."
> >
> > http://userweb.kernel.org/~hirofumi/exfat/exfat.tar.gz
>
> can someone explain what to do with these??
>
> http://userweb.kernel.org/~hirofumi/exfat/exfat.tar.gz
>
> exfat/series is patch order to apply, and exfat/patches/* is patches.

man quilt

Old 02-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Mark Allums

Dennis Kramer wrote:

Hmm, reading the wiki thanks to the link you've provided I stumbled upon:

"..Linux users can read exFAT using the free linux kernel patch."

http://userweb.kernel.org/~hirofumi/exfat/exfat.tar.gz

Are we to trust this? Going to a site reference provided (a newsgroup)
by a link, I read that that patch is pre-alpha grade. Not ready for
prime time.

Anyway, what's the consensus? Is exFat going to be a Good Thing?

MArk Allums

Old 02-14-2009, 09:27 PM
Ron Johnson