FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-13-2009, 04:46 AM
Angus Auld
 
Default Replacement for Dillo web browser

--- On Fri, 2/13/09, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: Replacement for Dillo web browser
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Friday, February 13, 2009, 4:58 AM
> L Glidewell wrote:
> > On Thursday 12 February 2009 19:25:50 Marc Shapiro
> wrote:
> >> Is there a light-weight browser that does not have
> a huge list of
> >> dependencies?
> >> --
> >> Marc Shapiro
> >> mshapiro_42@yahoo.com
> >
> > Kazehakase:
> > http://packages.debian.org/testing/web/kazehakase
> >
> > It is capable of using either Webkit or Gecko as the
> rendering engine, but only the Gecko version has been built
> for Lenny.
> > Obviously, it's heavier (and far more functional)
> than Dillo. For the tasks you mention, it might be better to
> use something like links2. Or build Dillo.
>
> I'll give it a try. It is certainly heavier than dillo
> -- 20 new packages and about 10MB to download. It loads
> pages quickly off the web, though, so it ought to be good
> and fast for local html documentation.
>
> -- Marc Shapiro
> mshapiro_42@yahoo.com
>

http://misc.andi.de1.cc/dillo/dillo_2.0-1lenny_i386.deb

http://misc.andi.de1.cc/dillo/dillo_2.0-1lenny_amd64.deb


--
Angus

"All churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, appear
to me no other than human inventions, setup to terrify and
enslave mankind - and to monopolize power and profit."
--
Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

###Laptop powered by Debian Linux###
######Reg. Linux User #278931######








--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2009, 05:36 AM
Marc Shapiro
 
Default Replacement for Dillo web browser

Angus Auld wrote:


http://misc.andi.de1.cc/dillo/dillo_2.0-1lenny_i386.deb

http://misc.andi.de1.cc/dillo/dillo_2.0-1lenny_amd64.deb



Thanks!

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2009, 06:30 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Replacement for Dillo web browser

On 02/12/2009 11:46 PM, Angus Auld wrote:
[snip]


http://misc.andi.de1.cc/dillo/dillo_2.0-1lenny_i386.deb

http://misc.andi.de1.cc/dillo/dillo_2.0-1lenny_amd64.deb



Or, since you don't *really* know what andi.de1.cc is or who runs
it, get the deb-src from either Etch or Sid and build it yourself on
Lenny.


--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2009, 07:49 AM
floyd
 
Default Replacement for Dillo web browser

>Is there a light-weight browser that does not have a huge list of
>dependencies?
>
>I had been using dillo for things like reading html documentation and
>other light-weight tasks, but then I upgraded to Lenny. Dillo is not
>available in Lenny. It is still in Etch and in Sid, but not Lenny.

Go to dillo.org and download the 759KB .deb for Lenny.
 
Old 02-13-2009, 08:05 AM
Angus Auld
 
Default Replacement for Dillo web browser

--- On Fri, 2/13/09, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
> Subject: Re: Replacement for Dillo web browser
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Friday, February 13, 2009, 7:30 AM
> On 02/12/2009 11:46 PM, Angus Auld wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> >
> http://misc.andi.de1.cc/dillo/dillo_2.0-1lenny_i386.deb
> >
> >
> http://misc.andi.de1.cc/dillo/dillo_2.0-1lenny_amd64.deb
> >
>
> Or, since you don't *really* know what andi.de1.cc is
> or who runs it, get the deb-src from either Etch or Sid and
> build it yourself on Lenny.
>
> -- Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA USA
>
The links I provided are taken from the dillo.org website. I think they can be assumed to be from a reliable source.

I use dillo from this source.

Regards.

--
Angus

"All churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, appear
to me no other than human inventions, setup to terrify and
enslave mankind - and to monopolize power and profit."
--
Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

###Laptop powered by Debian Linux###
######Reg. Linux User #278931######






--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Cousin Stanley
 
Default Replacement for Dillo web browser

> Is there a light-weight browser that does not have a huge list
> of dependencies?
>
> I had been using dillo for things like reading html documentation and
> other light-weight tasks, but then I upgraded to Lenny. Dillo is not
> available in Lenny. It is still in Etch and in Sid, but not Lenny.
> ....

sk@em1 07:48 AM ~
$ cat /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib
deb-src http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ lenny main non-free contrib

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main


sk@em1 07:48 AM ~
$ apt-cache policy dillo
dillo:
Installed: 0.8.6-3
Candidate: 0.8.6-3
Version table:
*** 0.8.6-3 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status



--
Stanley C. Kitching
Human Being
Phoenix, Arizona


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2009, 02:02 PM
josé Santos
 
Default Replacement for Dillo web browser

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 01:05:58AM -0800, Angus Auld wrote:
>
>
> --- On Fri, 2/13/09, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > From: Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
> > Subject: Re: Replacement for Dillo web browser
> > To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > Date: Friday, February 13, 2009, 7:30 AM
> > On 02/12/2009 11:46 PM, Angus Auld wrote:
> > [snip]
> > >
> > >
> > http://misc.andi.de1.cc/dillo/dillo_2.0-1lenny_i386.deb
> > >
> > >
> > http://misc.andi.de1.cc/dillo/dillo_2.0-1lenny_amd64.deb
> > >
> >
> > Or, since you don't *really* know what andi.de1.cc is
> > or who runs it, get the deb-src from either Etch or Sid and
> > build it yourself on Lenny.
> >
> > -- Ron Johnson, Jr.
> > Jefferson LA USA
> >
> The links I provided are taken from the dillo.org website. I think they can be assumed to be from a reliable source.
>
> I use dillo from this source.
>
> Regards.
>
Or you can install Dillo from Sid by running a mixed system.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=15612

Best regards

José Santos


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2009, 02:21 PM
Nuno Magalhães
 
Default Replacement for Dillo web browser

> Or you can install Dillo [...]

Ewww, my local site looks horrid on dillo... No unicode, just a bunch
of squares, and no css either... I'd assume changing to a unicode font
would fix it (didn't), but why doesn't it apply the css?

Guess i'm OT-ing here... sorry.

Nuno Magalhães
LU#484677


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Ink Bottle
 
Default Replacement for Dillo web browser

--- On Fri, 2/13/09, Nuno Magalhães <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt> wrote:

> From: Nuno Magalhães <nunomagalhaes@eu.ipp.pt>
> Subject: Re: Replacement for Dillo web browser
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Date: Friday, February 13, 2009, 3:21 PM
> > Or you can install Dillo [...]
>
> Ewww, my local site looks horrid on dillo... No unicode,
> just a bunch
> of squares, and no css either... I'd assume changing to
> a unicode font
> would fix it (didn't), but why doesn't it apply the
> css?
>
Two days ago I was looking for a replacement web-browser.
I've been proposed Midori.
I follow lenny, but I installed it from sid:
not too many packages to install, maybe only one.
It is fast,
It is very smart with utf8/fonts (this page
http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/TWiki/SpecialCharacters
is perfect)
It passes acid3 test.

One negative point: it crashes every time in a certain situation
I asked help to test it yesterday.
(I dare putting the object of the post
in case someone would like to look:
"request to try something with midori")

InkBottle

> Guess i'm OT-ing here... sorry.
>
> Nuno Magalhães
> LU#484677
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to
> debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
> listmaster@lists.debian.org





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Nuno Magalhães
 
Default Replacement for Dillo web browser

> I've been proposed Midori.
I'll give it a try, thanks. I tried kazehakase and it does nice with
unicode. These are off-the-shelf approaches, maybe if i fiddled with
defoma or something dillo would do it. I have a wipeoutXL font
somewhere but OO.org doesn't seem to have it.

Nuno Magalhães
LU#484677


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:46 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org