Old 02-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Shams Fantar

Default hostname & how to empty dns

Nagy Daniel wrote:

> Hi [again :S]
>
> Just two questions:
>
> 1 - When I use Debian [when a normal router does the DHCP for it] -
> from the routers DHCP client list, I only see a "*" for hostname [for
> the Debian PC], and I saw it several times now. Am I missing a
> package? Why can't the router see the hostname for the Linux PC?
> [Normal DVD install, Debian Lenny]

I don't know for that question, that is the same thing on my personal
router... I don't think this comes from a missed package.

> 2 - How could I empty the local DNS cache under Debian [or generally
> under Linux] - Restart networking? [/etc/init.d/networking restart?]

What do you mean by "the local dns" ? You manage your dns directly in
local ? With bind ? Or do you use ISP's DNS ? If you use bind, restart
it for reloading the bind cache.

> Thank you!
>
> Regards
>
> david

http://snurf.info - http://about-gnulinux.info
Honesty is the best policy

Old 02-12-2009, 03:07 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Nagy Daniel wrote:

> 1 - When I use Debian [when a normal router does the DHCP for it] -
> from the routers DHCP client list, I only see a "*" for hostname [for
> the Debian PC], and I saw it several times now. Am I missing a
> package? Why can't the router see the hostname for the Linux PC?
> [Normal DVD install, Debian Lenny]

Edit the /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file, one of the first options is
"send host-name", uncomment it and specify the hostname you want to
inform the DHCP server.

--
"Been through Hell? Whaddya bring back for me?"
-- A. Brilliant

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 02-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Nagy Daniel

Thank you, editing the /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf file worked, I uncommented the:

send host-name

send dhcp-client-identifier

The router get's the hostname of the Debian PC [it's in his DHCP client list], now the only problem is that I can't ping [the Linux PC] it by it's hostname from another computer..:S:S

Old 02-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Nagy Daniel wrote:
> The router get's the hostname of the Debian PC [it's in his DHCP
> client list], now the only problem is that I can't ping [the Linux PC]
> it by it's hostname from another computer..:S:S

Probably your router is not a real DNS server and will only uses that
names for informative purposes. Easiest way is to add the IP of your PC
to the other computer's /etc/hosts file. The more complicated way is to
set-up a DNS server.

--
Ambiguity:
Telling the truth when you don't mean to.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 PM
Stefan Monnier

>> The router get's the hostname of the Debian PC [it's in his DHCP
>> client list], now the only problem is that I can't ping [the Linux PC]
>> it by it's hostname from another computer..:S:S

> Probably your router is not a real DNS server and will only uses that
> names for informative purposes. Easiest way is to add the IP of your PC
> to the other computer's /etc/hosts file. The more complicated way is to
> set-up a DNS server.

A more rewarding way would be to upgrade his router to OpenWRT, or
replace it with one where that can be done.

Stefan