Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 PM
Jason Voorhees

Default Upgrade Debian testing to stable at Sunday

Hi people:

I got a business with one of my customers to install him a
Firewall+Proxy+VPN running Debian this Saturdary 14th. I was thinking
about installing Debian Etch because I din't know that Lenny was so
close to come.
Now I think I would like to install Debian Lenny but maybe at the time
I will do the installation (at 14:00 GMT) maybe Debian isn't released
yet or I won't have enough time to download the ISO image.

If I install Debian Testing at Saturday and then I upgrade to Stable
at Sunday... will I get any kind of problem? would you suggest to
install debian testing and then upgrade to stable some hours (or days)
ago?

Thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 02:20 PM
Ron Johnson

I got a business with one of my customers to install him a
Firewall+Proxy+VPN running Debian this Saturdary 14th. I was thinking
about installing Debian Etch because I din't know that Lenny was so
close to come.
Now I think I would like to install Debian Lenny but maybe at the time
I will do the installation (at 14:00 GMT) maybe Debian isn't released
yet or I won't have enough time to download the ISO image.

If I install Debian Testing at Saturday and then I upgrade to Stable
at Sunday... will I get any kind of problem? would you suggest to
install debian testing and then upgrade to stable some hours (or days)
ago?

Instead of putting "testing" or "stable" in your sources.list, just
put "lenny".

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Old 02-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Jason Voorhees

Hi:

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:20 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
> On 02/12/2009 09:09 AM, Jason Voorhees wrote:
>>
>> Hi people:
>>
>> I got a business with one of my customers to install him a
>> Firewall+Proxy+VPN running Debian this Saturdary 14th. I was thinking
>> about installing Debian Etch because I din't know that Lenny was so
>> close to come.
>> Now I think I would like to install Debian Lenny but maybe at the time
>> I will do the installation (at 14:00 GMT) maybe Debian isn't released
>> yet or I won't have enough time to download the ISO image.
>>
>> If I install Debian Testing at Saturday and then I upgrade to Stable
>> at Sunday... will I get any kind of problem? would you suggest to
>> install debian testing and then upgrade to stable some hours (or days)
>> ago?
>
> Instead of putting "testing" or "stable" in your sources.list, just put
> "lenny".

Yes, you're right! So, the changes between the most recent debian
testing and debian stable at Sunday will be minimal, right?

Old 02-12-2009, 03:37 PM
Michael Pobega

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:09:33AM -0500, Jason Voorhees wrote:
> Hi people:
>
> I got a business with one of my customers to install him a
> Firewall+Proxy+VPN running Debian this Saturdary 14th. I was thinking
> about installing Debian Etch because I din't know that Lenny was so
> close to come.
> Now I think I would like to install Debian Lenny but maybe at the time
> I will do the installation (at 14:00 GMT) maybe Debian isn't released
> yet or I won't have enough time to download the ISO image.
>
> If I install Debian Testing at Saturday and then I upgrade to Stable
> at Sunday... will I get any kind of problem? would you suggest to
> install debian testing and then upgrade to stable some hours (or days)
> ago?

If you install Lenny on Saturday and Lenny doesn't become stable by
Sunday, and you still do the upgrade, you may have some problems. As
stated in another e-mail your best bet is to just specify "lenny" in
your /etc/apt/sources.list, so that you'll track is by release name
instead of type (stable, testing, unstable).

The only time you use the release type is for a rolling release system
(testing for home computers, for example).

--
http://pobega.wordpress.com
http://identica/pobega

Old 02-12-2009, 03:41 PM
Jason Voorhees

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:09:33AM -0500, Jason Voorhees wrote:
>> Hi people:
>>
>> I got a business with one of my customers to install him a
>> Firewall+Proxy+VPN running Debian this Saturdary 14th. I was thinking
>> about installing Debian Etch because I din't know that Lenny was so
>> close to come.
>> Now I think I would like to install Debian Lenny but maybe at the time
>> I will do the installation (at 14:00 GMT) maybe Debian isn't released
>> yet or I won't have enough time to download the ISO image.
>>
>> If I install Debian Testing at Saturday and then I upgrade to Stable
>> at Sunday... will I get any kind of problem? would you suggest to
>> install debian testing and then upgrade to stable some hours (or days)
>> ago?
>
> If you install Lenny on Saturday and Lenny doesn't become stable by
> Sunday, and you still do the upgrade, you may have some problems. As
> stated in another e-mail your best bet is to just specify "lenny" in
> your /etc/apt/sources.list, so that you'll track is by release name
> instead of type (stable, testing, unstable).
>
> The only time you use the release type is for a rolling release system
> (testing for home computers, for example).

Thanks again, bye!

Old 02-12-2009, 06:56 PM
Paul E Condon

On 2009-02-12_13:10:25, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 02/12/2009 10:21 AM, Jason Voorhees wrote:
> [snip]
>>
>> Yes, you're right! So, the changes between the most recent debian
>> testing and debian stable at Sunday will be minimal, right?
>>

> Theoretically.

OP: Earlier in this thread Ron told you to point your
/etc/apt/sources.list at 'lenny' instead of either 'stable' or
'testing'. If you follow his advice, it is _certain_ that there will
be no untoward changes over the weekend. Your client's system will be
following 'lenny'. Lenny will not change, only its official status
will change, or perhaps not. Choosing 'lenny' avoids any surprises for
you and your client during the release. The release should, of course,
go smoothly, but if you follow Ron's advice, their won't even be any
moments of terror on you part because you misunderstand something on
the system which is new to you. On Sunday afternoon, the system on the
computer really will be the one you installed on Friday or
Saturday. No one is going to be putting new stuff into Lenny _during_
the time of the release.

I have been using the designation 'lenny' for several months. The
weekend will bring no surprises for me. A year or so from now, I
will start considering whether or not to upgrade to the release
that will follow Lenny. I will make the transition when I have
time to play with that release, and to see what is new to me.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net