FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-12-2009, 04:50 AM
Allan Wind
 
Default locale broken

On 2009-02-12T00:16:18, Zach Uram wrote:
> running testing, how can i fix my locale? http://pastebin.com/f453bb540

Try set LANG in /etc/environment along these lines:
LANG="en.US.UTF-8"


/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC
http://lifeintegrity.com


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Osamu Aoki
 
Default locale broken

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:16:18AM -0500, Zach Uram wrote:
> running testing, how can i fix my locale? http://pastebin.com/f453bb540

Suppose you have perl program called foo, you have to run it as:

$ LANG=C foo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-14-2009, 09:20 AM
Chris Bannister
 
Default locale broken

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:50:24AM -0500, Allan Wind wrote:
> On 2009-02-12T00:16:18, Zach Uram wrote:
> > running testing, how can i fix my locale? http://pastebin.com/f453bb540
>
> Try set LANG in /etc/environment along these lines:
> LANG="en.US.UTF-8"

No. Use "dpkg-reconfigure locales" instead.

--
Chris.
======
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god
than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other
possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
-- Stephen F Roberts


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Joel Roth
 
Default locale broken

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:20:46PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:50:24AM -0500, Allan Wind wrote:
> > On 2009-02-12T00:16:18, Zach Uram wrote:
> > > running testing, how can i fix my locale? http://pastebin.com/f453bb540
> >
> > Try set LANG in /etc/environment along these lines:
> > LANG="en.US.UTF-8"
>
> No. Use "dpkg-reconfigure locales" instead.

Would you care to explain your rationale for this?
Is it merely the debian way, or are there other ramifications?

> --
> Chris.
--
Joel Roth


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-14-2009, 11:58 AM
Nate Bargmann
 
Default locale broken

* Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> [2009 Feb 14 04:43 -0600]:
> On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 11:20:46PM +1300, Chris Bannister wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 12:50:24AM -0500, Allan Wind wrote:
> > > On 2009-02-12T00:16:18, Zach Uram wrote:
> > > > running testing, how can i fix my locale? http://pastebin.com/f453bb540
> > >
> > > Try set LANG in /etc/environment along these lines:
> > > LANG="en.US.UTF-8"
> >
> > No. Use "dpkg-reconfigure locales" instead.
>
> Would you care to explain your rationale for this?
> Is it merely the debian way, or are there other ramifications?

On a Debian system it works and is the preferred way. Also, if the
locale is changed to one not previously selected the new locale will be
generated. Merely editing a file wouldn't seem to force this action.
So, yes, doing things the "Debian way" on a Debian based system does
have other ramifications.

More information at:

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#thelocale

- Nate >>

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."

Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://n0nb.us/index.html


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:46 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org