FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-12-2009, 02:39 AM
Dan Christensen
 
Default Upgrading kernel on a system that won't boot

I have a system running etch. I believe it has this kernel installed:

linux-image-2.6.18-5-k7 2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch2

The motherboard failed a few days ago, and I've just got a new
motherboard and cpu. However, the machine won't boot.

The new cpu is a Core2Duo, but even though the kernel is -k7, that
doesn't seem to be the problem. Grub finds the kernel and it starts
fine, but it has trouble when trying to mount the real root filesystem.
This filesystem is raid 1 (md), and the kernel can't find either device.

The hard drives are SATA, and the BIOS lets me configure them as Legacy
ATA, RAID or AHCI. I've tried Legacy ATA and AHCI, and neither works.

A recent live CD is able to see the drives without any trouble, so I
suspect I need a newer kernel.

Finally my question: can someone explain how to boot from a live CD and
upgrade the kernel I have installed? Do I just mount the various
filesystems into a subtree, chroot to the root of that subtree,
adjust sources.list, and do the upgrade?

Secondary question: Will the dependencies allow this without essentially
upgrading to lenny? Or is there an etch backport of a more recent
kernel? Or maybe I should just compile one from source for now?

Or is there an alternative, manual way to drop a new pre-compiled kernel
onto the existing system?

Thanks for any help,

Dan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Upgrading kernel on a system that won't boot

On 02/11/2009 09:39 PM, Dan Christensen wrote:

I have a system running etch. I believe it has this kernel installed:

linux-image-2.6.18-5-k7 2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch2


The motherboard failed a few days ago, and I've just got a new
motherboard and cpu. However, the machine won't boot.

The new cpu is a Core2Duo, but even though the kernel is -k7, that
doesn't seem to be the problem. Grub finds the kernel and it starts
fine, but it has trouble when trying to mount the real root filesystem.
This filesystem is raid 1 (md), and the kernel can't find either device.


Probably it's device letter has changed. At the Grub prompt, "e"dit
the command line to point it to the correct partition.



The hard drives are SATA, and the BIOS lets me configure them as Legacy
ATA, RAID or AHCI. I've tried Legacy ATA and AHCI, and neither works.

A recent live CD is able to see the drives without any trouble, so I
suspect I need a newer kernel.

Finally my question: can someone explain how to boot from a live CD and
upgrade the kernel I have installed? Do I just mount the various
filesystems into a subtree, chroot to the root of that subtree,
adjust sources.list, and do the upgrade?


Secondary question: Will the dependencies allow this without essentially
upgrading to lenny? Or is there an etch backport of a more recent
kernel? Or maybe I should just compile one from source for now?

Or is there an alternative, manual way to drop a new pre-compiled kernel
onto the existing system?


--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-12-2009, 12:39 PM
Dan Christensen
 
Default Upgrading kernel on a system that won't boot

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On 02/11/2009 09:39 PM, Dan Christensen wrote:
>> I have a system running etch. I believe it has this kernel installed:
>>
>> linux-image-2.6.18-5-k7 2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch2
>>
>> The motherboard failed a few days ago, and I've just got a new
>> motherboard and cpu. However, the machine won't boot.
>>
>> The new cpu is a Core2Duo, but even though the kernel is -k7, that
>> doesn't seem to be the problem. Grub finds the kernel and it starts
>> fine, but it has trouble when trying to mount the real root filesystem.
>> This filesystem is raid 1 (md), and the kernel can't find either device.
>
> Probably it's device letter has changed. At the Grub prompt, "e"dit
> the command line to point it to the correct partition.

I don't think that's it, as the earlier kernel messages don't list the
hard drives as being found at all.

My first guess is that I need a newer kernel, but it occurred to me that
maybe all I need to do is update the initrd to include additional kernel
modules. Is this plausible? How would I do this using a live CD?

By the way, the new motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Spec.aspx?ClassValue=Motherboard&ProductI D=2946&ProductName=GA-E7AUM-DS2H

It doesn't say what chipset it has for SATA, although the manual
mentions "NV SATA".

Dan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-12-2009, 01:37 PM
Michael Pobega
 
Default Upgrading kernel on a system that won't boot

On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:39:18PM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
> I have a system running etch. I believe it has this kernel installed:
>
> linux-image-2.6.18-5-k7 2.6.18.dfsg.1-13etch2
>
> The motherboard failed a few days ago, and I've just got a new
> motherboard and cpu. However, the machine won't boot.
>
> The new cpu is a Core2Duo, but even though the kernel is -k7, that
> doesn't seem to be the problem. Grub finds the kernel and it starts
> fine, but it has trouble when trying to mount the real root filesystem.
> This filesystem is raid 1 (md), and the kernel can't find either device.
>
> The hard drives are SATA, and the BIOS lets me configure them as Legacy
> ATA, RAID or AHCI. I've tried Legacy ATA and AHCI, and neither works.
>
> A recent live CD is able to see the drives without any trouble, so I
> suspect I need a newer kernel.
>
> Finally my question: can someone explain how to boot from a live CD and
> upgrade the kernel I have installed? Do I just mount the various
> filesystems into a subtree, chroot to the root of that subtree,
> adjust sources.list, and do the upgrade?
>
> Secondary question: Will the dependencies allow this without essentially
> upgrading to lenny? Or is there an etch backport of a more recent
> kernel? Or maybe I should just compile one from source for now?
>
> Or is there an alternative, manual way to drop a new pre-compiled kernel
> onto the existing system?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Dan
>

What I would do is put a live system on a USB flash drive (System Rescue
CD is what I usually use) and mount the unbootable hard drive from
within the live system. At that point you could wget a kernel deb from
http://ftp.uk.debian.org onto your old mounted hard drive. chroot into
your drive's mount point, dpkg -i linux-image-*, and you're done; your
system should now be bootable.

--
http://pobega.wordpress.com
http://identica/pobega
 
Old 02-12-2009, 10:16 PM
Dan Christensen
 
Default Upgrading kernel on a system that won't boot

Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> writes:

> What I would do is put a live system on a USB flash drive (System Rescue
> CD is what I usually use) and mount the unbootable hard drive from
> within the live system. At that point you could wget a kernel deb from
> http://ftp.uk.debian.org onto your old mounted hard drive. chroot into
> your drive's mount point, dpkg -i linux-image-*, and you're done; your
> system should now be bootable.

Thanks, I suspected that that would be a reasonable plan, and I've just
checked that this doesn't seem to require upgrades to user space.

Now one thing about my system is that mounting /usr will be a bit
awkward, since it is lvm over several raid 5 devices. Can anyone think
of a way to install a kernel .deb without having /usr mounted? If I
just unpack it with dpkg-deb, copy the kernel, initrd and modules dir
to the right place, and update grub, will that be enough??

Thanks,

Dan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-12-2009, 10:31 PM
Dan Christensen
 
Default Upgrading kernel on a system that won't boot

Dan Christensen <jdc@uwo.ca> writes:

> Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What I would do is put a live system on a USB flash drive (System Rescue
>> CD is what I usually use) and mount the unbootable hard drive from
>> within the live system. At that point you could wget a kernel deb from
>> http://ftp.uk.debian.org onto your old mounted hard drive. chroot into
>> your drive's mount point, dpkg -i linux-image-*, and you're done; your
>> system should now be bootable.
>
> Thanks, I suspected that that would be a reasonable plan, and I've just
> checked that this doesn't seem to require upgrades to user space.
>
> Now one thing about my system is that mounting /usr will be a bit
> awkward, since it is lvm over several raid 5 devices. Can anyone think
> of a way to install a kernel .deb without having /usr mounted? If I
> just unpack it with dpkg-deb, copy the kernel, initrd and modules dir
> to the right place, and update grub, will that be enough??

I see that the .deb doesn't contain a default initrd, so one needs to be
generated.

1) Is there an easy way to do this without using dpkg to install the
.deb?

2) I'm wondering whether the initrd generated while running the kernel
from the livecd will work with the newly installed kernel. Any
thoughts?

Dan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-12-2009, 11:41 PM
Michael Pobega
 
Default Upgrading kernel on a system that won't boot

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 06:16:32PM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
> Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > What I would do is put a live system on a USB flash drive (System Rescue
> > CD is what I usually use) and mount the unbootable hard drive from
> > within the live system. At that point you could wget a kernel deb from
> > http://ftp.uk.debian.org onto your old mounted hard drive. chroot into
> > your drive's mount point, dpkg -i linux-image-*, and you're done; your
> > system should now be bootable.
>
> Thanks, I suspected that that would be a reasonable plan, and I've just
> checked that this doesn't seem to require upgrades to user space.
>
> Now one thing about my system is that mounting /usr will be a bit
> awkward, since it is lvm over several raid 5 devices. Can anyone think
> of a way to install a kernel .deb without having /usr mounted? If I
> just unpack it with dpkg-deb, copy the kernel, initrd and modules dir
> to the right place, and update grub, will that be enough??
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dan
>

Run from a LiveCD and use dpkg with the --root option. Read dpkg(1) for
more information.

--
http://pobega.wordpress.com
http://identica/pobega
 
Old 02-13-2009, 12:50 AM
Dan Christensen
 
Default Upgrading kernel on a system that won't boot

Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 06:16:32PM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
>
>> Now one thing about my system is that mounting /usr will be a bit
>> awkward, since it is lvm over several raid 5 devices.
>>
>> Can anyone think of a way to install a kernel .deb without having
>> /usr mounted?
>
> Run from a LiveCD and use dpkg with the --root option. Read dpkg(1) for
> more information.

It turns out /var is also on lvm, so that probably wouldn't work either.

But I tried sysresccd 1.1.5 and found that it automatically assembled
the raid devices and started lvm! All I needed to do was "vgchange -a
y" to make them available. So I just got everything mounted and used
the chroot method.

The machine is up and running again.

Thanks so much for your help!

Dan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2009, 12:56 AM
Michael Pobega
 
Default Upgrading kernel on a system that won't boot

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 08:50:19PM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
> Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 06:16:32PM -0500, Dan Christensen wrote:
> >
> >> Now one thing about my system is that mounting /usr will be a bit
> >> awkward, since it is lvm over several raid 5 devices.
> >>
> >> Can anyone think of a way to install a kernel .deb without having
> >> /usr mounted?
> >
> > Run from a LiveCD and use dpkg with the --root option. Read dpkg(1) for
> > more information.
>
> It turns out /var is also on lvm, so that probably wouldn't work either.
>
> But I tried sysresccd 1.1.5 and found that it automatically assembled
> the raid devices and started lvm! All I needed to do was "vgchange -a
> y" to make them available. So I just got everything mounted and used
> the chroot method.
>
> The machine is up and running again.
>
> Thanks so much for your help!
>
> Dan
>

Not a problem; it's reasons like that I advise using the Sysresccd. It
tends to work on 99% of setups, and does it what is meant to do: rescue
systems.

Anyway, glad to see you got it working. Have fun and happy Debian-ing!

--
http://pobega.wordpress.com
http://identica/pobega
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org