Old 02-11-2009, 11:08 PM
"Michael Harris"

Default Using a Software Raid array created with newer mdadm

Hi,

I am about to setup a new server with Lenny and want to move an existing software RAID array from a box running Arch Linux with Kernel 2.6.28 with Mdadm 2.6.8 to the Lenny box and I'm wondering if there will be any issues as Lenny has an older kernel and Mdadm version than what the array was created with on the Arch box.

Thanks

Mike

Old 02-12-2009, 11:43 AM
martin f krafft

also sprach Michael Harris <michael.harris@rmit.edu.au> [2009.02.12.0108 +0100]:
> I am about to setup a new server with Lenny and want to move an
> existing software RAID array from a box running Arch Linux with
> Kernel 2.6.28 with Mdadm 2.6.8 to the Lenny box and I'm wondering
> if there will be any issues as Lenny has an older kernel and Mdadm
> version than what the array was created with on the Arch box.

I do not see how this could be a problem, unless you've partitioned
the arrays, which is a feature available only since kernel 2.6.28.

Try it. Your data are save either way, that is if md/mdadm cannot
use the arrays, it won't screw them up at least.

--
.'`. martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o> Related projects:
: :' : proud Debian developer http://debiansystem.info

due to lack of interest tomorrow has been cancelled.