Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Oscar Corte

Default Wich e-mail server to choose?

Hi all:

*

I would appreciate any advice on what mail Server to choose. This would be my first experience installing and configuring an internal mail server (No e-mail outside the LAN). Only to exchange mails between Windows PC’s inside my department (IP segment or subnet).

*

This is a small intranet project where a Windows DNS server is already running but is not in my possibilities to manage it. I’ll be using a Debian etch box to accomplish this intranet project.

*

Thanks in advance for any hints.

*

Regards

Oscar Corte

Old 02-11-2009, 04:00 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

[mailtoect_1964@hotmail.com]

>Sent: Wednesday, February 11,
2009 10:43 AM

>Subject: Wich e-mail server to
choose?

>*

>Hi all:

>I would appreciate any advice on what mail Server to choose.

>This would be my first experience installing and configuring an

>internal mail server (No e-mail outside the LAN). Only to

>exchange mails between Windows PC’s inside my department

>(IP segment or subnet).

>This is a small intranet project where a Windows DNS server

>is already running but is not in my possibilities to manage it.

>I’ll be using a Debian etch box to accomplish this intranet

>project.

>Thanks in advance for any hints.

>Regards

>Oscar Corte

Just use Exim. Chances are it is already
installed anyway. Just run

`dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config`

*

Of course it would probably help to read
up on Exim first. Try this article:

http://pkg-exim4.alioth.debian.org/README/README.Debian.etch.html

At least it had the information I needed; YMMV.

*

Hope this works for you.

*

Have fun!

~Stack~

Old 02-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Paul E Condon

On 2009-02-11_16:43:28, Oscar Corte wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I would appreciate any advice on what mail Server to choose. This would be my first experience installing and configuring an internal mail server (No e-mail outside the LAN). Only to exchange mails between Windows PC?s inside my department (IP segment or subnet).
>
> This is a small intranet project where a Windows DNS server is already running but is not in my possibilities to manage it. I?ll be using a Debian etch box to accomplish this intranet project.
>
> Thanks in advance for any hints.

In Debian, you have many, many choices. One of them is to let the
Debian installer software choose for you. I suggest that you let the
installer choose. I think it makes a good choice. I have never had
reason to question it, and you might reasonably use Debian for many
seasons before you have any reason to even learn its name.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 02-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Lisi Reisz

On Wednesday 11 February 2009 17:03:13 Paul E Condon wrote:
> One of them is to let the
> Debian installer software choose for you. I suggest that you let the
> installer choose. I think it makes a good choice.

How?

TIA
Lisi

Old 02-11-2009, 04:22 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

I believe he was referring to at install time. There is a screen for the
selection of additional packages like Desktop, SQL server, ect. One of
the options should be mail server. Though I am pretty sure it just
installs Exim. It has been a while since I have setup a mail server, but
I know the last few I have done were with Exim and I am pretty confident
I went that route cause it was already there.

Anyway, see my last post for links.

Have fun!
~Stack~

Old 02-11-2009, 04:57 PM
Paul E Condon

On 2009-02-11_11:22:01, Stackpole, Chris wrote:
> [...]

Thanks, Stack. Your post came thru after I had just sent mine. I was
misleading in what I said. The installer does install Exim, so it true
the OP doesn't have to choose, but he does need to know its name,
because he needs to type in the reconfigure command that you gave
him. Otherwise it probably won't do the mail deliveries that he
wants. I recall that I found the instructions for reconfiguring
confusing. And there is more to it than just executing the one
command, and then following the prompts. There is fetchmail, and an
email name alias in /etc, for From: rewriting, etc.

To OP: Stack's command is right. And, it's OK to come back and ask
more questions. Just be careful to pay attention to who is giving
advice. I am not an officially approved advisor. You may want to find
corroboration for my advice.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
Miles Fidelman

Normally, I'd suggest Postfix - as I've found it the easiest to "wire
up" with antivirus and antispam software, but... since the original
poster indicated:

I would appreciate any advice on what mail Server to choose. This
would be my first experience installing and configuring an internal
mail server (No e-mail outside the LAN). Only to exchange mails
between Windows PC’s inside my department (IP segment or subnet).

This is a small intranet project where a Windows DNS server is already
running but is not in my possibilities to manage it. I’ll be using a
Debian etch box to accomplish this intranet project.

I agree with the multiple suggestions to just let Debian install Exim.

Getting the aglomeration of Postfix (or Sendmail), plus amavis, plus
spamassassin, etc. all working together takes more than a bit of doing.
It's worth doing if you handle large amounts of external traffic (I run
a bunch of email lists), but it is a royal pain.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Old 02-11-2009, 06:29 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

Any harder than plugging amavis and spamassassin into Exim4?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Old 02-11-2009, 06:30 PM
Oscar Corte

Thanks a lot for your advice.

*

I didn’t click on the “Mail Server” option at installation, so what would be better:

*

Execute tasksel and activate the option?

Or
Do it through apt-get ?

*

Oscar Corte

*

> Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 10:57:59 -0700
> From: pecondon@mesanetworks.net
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

check out the rest of the Windows Live™.
More than mail–Windows Live™ goes way beyond your inbox.
More than messages

Old 02-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Miles Fidelman

Ron Johnson wrote:

[...]

never actually tried that combination - I just remember that I found
more howto.s and such for the postfix-based combination - haven't looked
in a few years, though

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra