Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Wich e-mail server to choose?

On 02/11/2009 10:43 AM, Oscar Corte wrote:

Hi all:

I would appreciate any advice on what mail Server to choose. This would
be my first experience installing and configuring an internal mail
server (No e-mail outside the LAN). Only to exchange mails between
Windows PC’s inside my department (IP segment or subnet).

This is a small intranet project where a Windows DNS server is already
running but is not in my possibilities to manage it. I’ll be using a
Debian etch box to accomplish this intranet project.

There are multiple parts to the answer:
1. The MTA. Exim4 is the default, but a number of us prefer
postfix, which I found very easy to configure.

2. An anti-virus plugin. Amavis is standard.

3. Spam filter. SpamAssassin is common, but there's also dspam
and bogofilter.

4. A place to store the email. I recommend running an IMAP daemon
on the Linux box, and having all email deposited there. Central
storage makes it easy to back up the email. Auditors like that.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Old 02-11-2009, 06:45 PM
Ron Johnson

You've (I'm pretty sure) already got exim4 as a part of the default
install.