FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 PM
"Larry Dick"
 
Default getting debian to talk to windows

I'm using debian 2.6.18-6-amd64 and Window XP Sp2.

My network is a Windows workgroup.

I've fiddled about and now can get windows to see into the debian box , it
can read and write to the file system.

I'm trying to get Debian to see a windows ntfs file system that is marked
shared to all and read only and a Windows printer.

I've looked all over the place for instructions on how to do this and have
not succeeded in finding a bunch that work.

Could someone point me a definitive list of instructions on how to go about
doing this. I'm new to Linux, but I can follow instructions. Please help.

Thanks

Larry



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-11-2009, 12:23 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default getting debian to talk to windows

On Tuesday 10 February 2009 17:01:25 Larry Dick wrote:
> I'm trying to get Debian to see a windows ntfs file system that is marked
> shared to all and read only and a Windows printer.

Samba, in particular mount.smbfs, should get you access to that filesystem.
I'm not sure how to talk to Windows printers from Linux.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 02-11-2009, 12:40 AM
ghe
 
Default getting debian to talk to windows

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:

> Samba, in particular mount.smbfs, should get you access to that filesystem.
> I'm not sure how to talk to Windows printers from Linux.

A few years ago, Samba could take a printer connected to the Linux box
and make Winders think it was a W printer.

(Sorry Boyd for the off-list post.)

- --
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.8 (Darwin)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org

iEYEARECAAYFAkmSLHYACgkQ04yQfZbbTLb7gACggB2yH03V5m UPxIZ729kU7b62
rpQAn0trTdfRZPhn+7cnUOKM1BEwyk/J
=btXV
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-11-2009, 01:06 AM
"Alexander Samad"
 
Default getting debian to talk to windows

Quoting "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net>:

> On Tuesday 10 February 2009 17:01:25 Larry Dick wrote:
>> I'm trying to get Debian to see a windows ntfs file system that is marked
>> shared to all and read only and a Windows printer.
>
> Samba, in particular mount.smbfs, should get you access to that filesystem.
> I'm not sure how to talk to Windows printers from Linux.


I beleive the new way is to use mount.cifs, I think cifs is taking over from smbfs


*


as for printing why not point cups at the windows pinter (haven't tried this, but I have used cups to printer to many other types of printer shares)


*


Alex



> --
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.* * * * * * * * * *,= ,-_-. =.
> bss@iguanasuicide.net* * * * * * * * * *((_/)o o(_))
> ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy* * * * *`-'(. .)`-'
> http://iguanasuicide.net/* * * * * * * * * * _/
>
>





----------------------------------------------------------------

This message was sent using IMP, the Internet Messaging Program.
 
Old 02-11-2009, 07:13 AM
Goran Dobosevic
 
Default getting debian to talk to windows

Larry Dick wrote:

I'm using debian 2.6.18-6-amd64 and Window XP Sp2.

My network is a Windows workgroup.

I've fiddled about and now can get windows to see into the debian box , it
can read and write to the file system.


I'm trying to get Debian to see a windows ntfs file system that is marked
shared to all and read only and a Windows printer.


I've looked all over the place for instructions on how to do this and have
not succeeded in finding a bunch that work.


Could someone point me a definitive list of instructions on how to go about
doing this. I'm new to Linux, but I can follow instructions. Please help.


Thanks

Larry



Hi,
I'm also new to Linux but I'm did it with Samba.
Now mu Debian Lenny read and wright to Win. XPP.
I'm installed Samba with Synaptic package manager. After installation
just follow step by step configuration (its really easy). Also you need
NTFS-3G (Synaptic package manager) for writing on ntfs partition or
nothing if your XP is on FAT.

I hope that will help you.

Bye,
Goran Dobosevic
Hrvatski: www.dobosevic.com
English: www.dobosevic.com/en/




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-11-2009, 10:40 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
 
Default getting debian to talk to windows

Goran Dobosevic wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm also new to Linux but I'm did it with Samba.
> Now mu Debian Lenny read and wright to Win. XPP.
> I'm installed Samba with Synaptic package manager. After installation
> just follow step by step configuration (its really easy). Also you need
> NTFS-3G (Synaptic package manager) for writing on ntfs partition or
> nothing if your XP is on FAT.
>

Only if the partition is directly accessed by Linux in a disk physically
installed in the machine. If it's accessed via the network using Samba,
you do not need ntfs or fat support.


--
If you give Congress a chance to vote on both sides of an issue, it
will always do it.
-- Les Aspin, D., Wisconsin

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-12-2009, 07:35 PM
Joe
 
Default getting debian to talk to windows

Larry Dick wrote:

I'm using debian 2.6.18-6-amd64 and Window XP Sp2.

My network is a Windows workgroup.

I've fiddled about and now can get windows to see into the debian box , it
can read and write to the file system.


I'm trying to get Debian to see a windows ntfs file system that is marked
shared to all and read only and a Windows printer.


I've looked all over the place for instructions on how to do this and have
not succeeded in finding a bunch that work.


Could someone point me a definitive list of instructions on how to go about
doing this. I'm new to Linux, but I can follow instructions. Please help.




I've Never Done This But...(tm)

Windows up to XP has something called Print Services For UNIX, which is
effectively a networked LPD. Here's the MS info:


http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324078

or you can Google windows unix print services for various tutorials.
Or printer sharing over SMB should work, as others have said. I share a
printer by pulling out the USB plug and moving it, so I've never tried
either of these.


There shouldn't be any problem about seeing Windows shares. Even Vista
can be persuaded to offer its shares on the network (with a certain
amount of kicking..) and Konqueror is also a quick and dirty share
browser (smb://servername/sharename) to check everything is working. The
underlying Windows file system is irrelevant, apart from needing to set
suitable permissions on NTFS directories. If one Windows machine can see
another's shares, then so should Konqueror with the following packages
installed. Many Linux SMB/CIFS programs don't seem too bothered about
workgroup names, and will see everything.


I have smbclient and smbfs (both of which use samba-common) and
libsmbclient on my workstation. smb4k is useful if you have the KDE
libraries installed. smbfs (using the cifs filing system name) can be
set up to mount shares at boot. Here's a line from my /etc/fstab (it's
for a Linux Samba server, but that shouldn't matter):


//jredeb/share1 /mnt/jreserver/share1 cifs
guest,user,noperm,file_mode=0x777,dir_mode=0x777,r w


Best of luck.

--
Joe


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:17 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org