Old 02-10-2009, 10:51 AM
Nuno Magalhes

Default Browsing offline filesystems

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a tool that I can use to browse an offline file system, ie,
> to cache it's directory structure and have it browsable? I have a
> small home network with a laptop, and often I need to know what's on
> any particular machine that is not present at the moment.

Er... you can use wget and create a local cache of said directory...

HTH
Nuno Magalhes

Old 02-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Dotan Cohen

> Er... you can use wget and create a local cache of said directory...

Thank you, Nuno. However, the other filesystems have tens of gigabytes
that I do not want to copy. I only want to know which files are there,
not to have the actual files themselves.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Nuno Magalhes

> Thank you, Nuno. However, the other filesystems have tens of gigabytes
> that I do not want to copy. I only want to know which files are there,
> not to have the actual files themselves.

If you want just the names, not the content... then it would probably
be a very weird combination of ls, grep and cut, unless there's some
proggie that'll do that for you (in perl maybe?). Plus mkdir to
preserve the hierarchy, unless absolute paths suffice.

Nuno Magalhes

Old 02-10-2009, 12:42 PM
Benjamin Schmidt

Nuno Magalhes wrote:

Thank you, Nuno. However, the other filesystems have tens of gigabytes
that I do not want to copy. I only want to know which files are there,
not to have the actual files themselves.

If you want just the names, not the content... then it would probably
be a very weird combination of ls, grep and cut, unless there's some
proggie that'll do that for you (in perl maybe?). Plus mkdir to
preserve the hierarchy, unless absolute paths suffice.

Nuno Magalhes

$ find <specific directory> > filelist.txt

like

$ find ~/hugeDirectory/ > filelist.txt

generates you a textfile with a list of all files, directories (and
special files). Should be enough. To search, use less or grep. vi could
block your system for some minutes.

I am not aware of some caching filesystem, which only "caches" the
directory structure, without the files content.

Best regards,
Benjamin Schmidt

Old 02-10-2009, 01:11 PM
Dotan Cohen

> $ find <specific directory> > filelist.txt
>
> like
>
> $ find ~/hugeDirectory/ > filelist.txt
>

> generates you a textfile with a list of all files, directories (and special
> files). Should be enough. To search, use less or grep. vi could block your
> system for some minutes.
>
> I am not aware of some caching filesystem, which only "caches" the directory
> structure, without the files content.

Thanks, Benjamin. This got me going on a shell script that uses find,
mkdir, and touch to recreate the file system.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-10-2009, 03:42 PM
Jeff D

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> Is there a tool that I can use to browse an offline file system, ie,
> to cache it's directory structure and have it browsable? I have a
> small home network with a laptop, and often I need to know what's on
> any particular machine that is not present at the moment.

One thing you could do is to copy the mlocate.db from your laptop to the
other system and do 'locate -d laptop.db foo.txt'

--
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 04:11:27PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > $ find <specific directory> > filelist.txt
> >
> > like
> >
> > $ find ~/hugeDirectory/ > filelist.txt
> >

> > generates you a textfile with a list of all files, directories (and special
> > files). Should be enough. To search, use less or grep. vi could block your
> > system for some minutes.
> >
> > I am not aware of some caching filesystem, which only "caches" the directory
> > structure, without the files content.
> >

> Thanks, Benjamin. This got me going on a shell script that uses find,
> mkdir, and touch to recreate the file system.

You may want to use:

$ ls -laR
$ tree -a

Old 02-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Dotan Cohen

> You may want to use:
>
> $ ls -laR
> $ tree -a

Thanks, I did not know about tree.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Paul E Condon

On 2009-02-10_12:56:53, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> Is there a tool that I can use to browse an offline file system, ie,
> to cache it's directory structure and have it browsable? I have a
> small home network with a laptop, and often I need to know what's on
> any particular machine that is not present at the moment.
>
> --
> Dotan Cohen

The -s option in cp makes it create soft links rather than a actual
copy of leaf files. You can use this to create a pure softlink copy
of whatever structure you are interested in, and then copy this to
the other computer. You will get on the other computer, the whole
structure with each actual file represented by a broken softlink.

This is like what you might get with tree, but the visual and keystoke
interaction will be entirely the same as if you were searching on
the computer where the data really is. Except that ... you find a
broken link rather than the data. But now you know its there, and
what you need to do to get it.

I haven't done it, but I think it will work.
Try it and let me know. I'm interested in finding out. ;-)

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net

Old 02-10-2009, 06:09 PM
Dotan Cohen

2009/2/10 Paul E Condon <pecondon@mesanetworks.net>:
> On 2009-02-10_12:56:53, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Is there a tool that I can use to browse an offline file system, ie,
>> to cache it's directory structure and have it browsable? I have a
>> small home network with a laptop, and often I need to know what's on
>> any particular machine that is not present at the moment.
>>
>> --
>> Dotan Cohen
>
> The -s option in cp makes it create soft links rather than a actual
> copy of leaf files. You can use this to create a pure softlink copy
> of whatever structure you are interested in, and then copy this to
> the other computer. You will get on the other computer, the whole
> structure with each actual file represented by a broken softlink.
>
> This is like what you might get with tree, but the visual and keystoke
> interaction will be entirely the same as if you were searching on
> the computer where the data really is. Except that ... you find a
> broken link rather than the data. But now you know its there, and
> what you need to do to get it.
>
> I haven't done it, but I think it will work.
> Try it and let me know. I'm interested in finding out. ;-)

Amazing , Paul. This is the command that I used:
$ cp -sR /path/to/remote/system .

And now I have the whole remote filesystem tree mirrored here. Better
yet, when the system is mounted then the links work! Thanks!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il