Old 02-10-2009, 10:31 AM
"Markus Grunwald"

Default Differences in gnome speed

Hello,

my wife and me both use the gnome desktop environment of our up to date
lenny system. When my wife starts her session, everything is up and
working in a few seconds. When I log in, the login process takes much
longer (about 20 seconds, more or less) and I have to wait "ages" when I
click on the "foot" menu (or press Alt-F2) for the first time. After the
first time, the menu opens quickly.

The difference between my wife's and my session is that I have customized
much more settings than my wife. Almost all she has done is changed the
background picture and maybe the windowmanager theme and that's it. I have
added some menu items to the foot some time ago, but later I have undone
these changes.

I would like to find out what I have done that my foot menu opens so
slowly. Is there a way to wipe out all my menu customisations without
loosing all the other gnome settings I've changed ?

Thanks,
--
Markus Grunwald http://the-grue.de

Registered Linux User Nr 101577
http://counter.li.org

Old 02-10-2009, 01:09 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

The way I'd detect the slowness is to get a notebook and undo one
customization at a time, writing down your changes so that when you
find what speeds you up, you can redo everything else.

(Don't forget to look in System->Preferences->Sessions for apps you
auto-start.)

Also, how many plugins do you have in the system tray?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification

Old 03-14-2009, 10:57 PM
Tomas Kral

I can confirm, it realy is the default Debian Lenny backround picture,
that takes a while to show after login, when I change it e.g. to Open
Flower or Clouds Pattern it comes up much quicker, couple of seconds.
--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral@centrum.cz>