Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 AM
Daniel Dalton

Default snownews

Hi,

Is there anyway to make snownews open the direct rss link when pressing
o on a story? Like for example, open the direct page, it seems that my
version is opening the general homepage: www.theage.com.au.

Any ideas on how to get the direct story open? Or will I have to press
'enter' and cut and paste the url and manually open it in lynx?

One other thing: is it possible to download the stories with rss to
local files so I can read when I'm not online?

Thanks,

Daniel.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:55 AM
Daniel Dalton

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 09:50:33PM +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there anyway to make snownews open the direct rss link when pressing
> o on a story? Like for example, open the direct page, it seems that my

Now I feel like an idiot, just had to look at the help and use O not
o...

Sorry... :-)
But, yep, I solved this problem :-)

> One other thing: is it possible to download the stories with rss to
> local files so I can read when I'm not online?

Wouldn't mind hearing about this.

Thanks,

Daniel.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:51 AM
André Berger

* Daniel Dalton (2009-02-10):
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 09:50:33PM +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there anyway to make snownews open the direct rss link when pressing
> > o on a story? Like for example, open the direct page, it seems that my
>
> Now I feel like an idiot, just had to look at the help and use O not
> o...

BTW, you can customize the behavior in ~/.snownews/keybindings

> > One other thing: is it possible to download the stories with rss to
> > local files so I can read when I'm not online?

Use "snownews -u" when online, "snownews" when offline. If you set
~/.snownews/updatecheck to '-1', it will minimize the network traffic
(man 1 snownews).

-André

--
May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!
.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Daniel Dalton

> BTW, you can customize the behavior in ~/.snownews/keybindings

Yep, I saw that in the man page, thanks.

> > > One other thing: is it possible to download the stories with rss to
> > > local files so I can read when I'm not online?
>
> Use "snownews -u" when online, "snownews" when offline. If you set
> ~/.snownews/updatecheck to '-1', it will minimize the network traffic
> (man 1 snownews).

Thanks, what I meant is to place the articles on my system so I could
read them offline... I've put together a python script to do this.

Thanks for your help,

Daniel.