Old 02-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Marco Vittorini Orgeas

Default Fresh lenny install and suspend to ram problems

Hello,
I've just installed Lenny on my thinkpad T61 (model 6460).I am posting here because I've googled around and tried some things reported from people with similar issues,but I am starting to be stuck in a deadlock where I feel to just don't get the point of the situation.
On my system all seems to work as expected (even suspend to disk), but I am facing problems with the suspend to ram feature.
The problem is:
if I suspend to ram the system(from the gnome power button) I have the system regularly suspended to ram (the t61 half-moon blinks showing that is going to sleep).
It sleeps for two seconds and then it immediately resumes back, but it just fail to resume - I can hear the HD spin up and the fan starts to work but the half-moon doesn't blink and the screen remains black.
At this point the keyboard doesn't seem to respond to any input or combination of key pressed, and all I can do is a an hard rebooting by keep pressed the power button.

Now reading around (http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problems_with_ACPI_suspend-to-ram) I was able to isolate the first half of the problem:
if I do :
modprobe -r ehci_hcd
and then I try to suspend, the system effectively suspend and sleeps well without any more resumes.I have tried to understand where lenny looks for modules to be rmmoded before actually suspend but I was not successfull, or better: around there is such confusion on the topic that I can't seem to understand which files or script gnome uses to make the system sleeps (acpi,hibernate.conf etc... googling get you a "babele" of different informations)...so if someone could be so kind to clear the situation and point me in the right direction would be very appreciated.

After that still remains the second half of the problem: even if the system is suspended to ram, if I try to resume it back, I get again the over-mentioned problem: I can hear the HD spin up and the fan starts to work but the half-moon doesn't blink and the screen remains black.At this point the keyboard doesn't seem to respond.

Some suggestions here would be really appreciated too.
I should also add here that I have on the same thinkpad a Gutsy installation with suspend2ram working (but there I am using the nvidia binary drivers) while on lenny I guess I am using the X11 nv driver (even though I can't be able to check this because lsmod |grep nv does return only "nvram") - I have a nvidia quadro 140m on my thinkpad.

Probably the resume problem is related to this difference of drivers.

thank you

Old 02-10-2009, 06:51 AM
Joar Jegleim

Might be a long shot, but I had similar problems on my laptop.
It turned out to be the radeonfb module in my case ... This laptop has a radeon mobility 9000 which is supported by xorg's radeon driver which again made it possible for me to use radeonfb to get a nice terminal resolution (tty[1-6]).

I had to blacklist radeonfb via /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer and suspend started working properly.
I'm using vesafb now and it works great.

I recall coming across a forum mentioning having to remove ehci_hcd on lenovo laptops, I think it differs from laptop to laptop (e.g. hardware) in what module might be troublesome.

My only hint would be to at least check if you've loaded the nvidiafb module, if you have try removing 'splash' and 'vga=' directives to the kernel in grub and see if there is any difference.

regards

Joar Jegleim

Old 02-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Marco Vittorini Orgeas

I solved the problem: actually a lot of things became clearer after have read http://wiki.debian.org/Suspend, which explain a bit what the system does whenever one push the sleep button.
The first half of the problem is solved by adding a file called /etc/pm/config.d/01config with the following line as suggested by "man pm-suspend":
SUSPEND_MODULES="ehci_hcd"

The second half of the problem required a bit more testing.In my case I had to add to the same over-mentioned file the following line:
ADD_PARAMETERS="--quirk-vbe-post --quirk-vbemode-restore"

This is required for the problem of the monitor that after resume remains black.(this quirks seem to be indeed required for the X11 nv driver with nvidia quadro nv140m)
At this point the system doesn't yet perform a completely resume from suspend and my system needs another change.
The system was like stuck and half-moon wasn't blink at all during the resume.
I had to edit this file /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-lenovo.fdi and to the corresponding section that matches my model number (6460) I had to change this line
<merge key="power_management.quirk.s3_bios" type="bool">true</merge>
<merge key="power_management.quirk.s3_bios" type="bool">false</merge>

This is probably due to a bios problem, or better: this quirk probably is needed for old thinkpad bios version.I have the latest updated bios version as of 10-02-09, so this bios seems to not require anymore this quirk.
Probably this should be filed to someone who can better manage this mismatch...

At the moment the only thing I can't manage is how to check out that I am really using the X11 nv driver: lsmod reports nothing but a nvram , which I guess isn't related to what I am looking for.

Anyway thank you for your suggestions, I think that radeon-tools have some functions in the same way vbe-tool have.