FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-08-2009, 08:54 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default -- SPAM -- rc.local is not executed

On 02/08/2009 01:45 PM, Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:

Hi,
I used /etc/rc.local to run at the boot a program, but it didn't, here
is what I wrote
# In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
# bits.
#
# By default this script does nothing.
/usr/bin/minbar


Everything in my rc.local works like a champ.


When I added the command as a script in /etc/rc2.d, it worked correctly.
following the doc , the file /etc/rc.local runs after the rc2.d.

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 324 2009-02-07 09:01 /etc/rc.local

may be it needs something else.


Minbar is a GNOME app. Why do you put it in the *system* startup?

Don't you really want it to start when you go into GNOME?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Abdelkader Belahcene
 
Default -- SPAM -- rc.local is not executed

Thanks for reply,
exactly I want to run it at boot time, I am using gnome.
so how to do it.
thanks
bela


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-10-2009, 03:33 PM
"s. keeling"
 
Default -- SPAM -- rc.local is not executed

Abdelkader Belahcene <abelahcene@gmail.com>:
> Ron Johnson:
> > Minbar is a GNOME app. Why do you put it in the *system* startup?
> >
> > Don't you really want it to start when you go into GNOME?
>
> Thanks for reply,
> exactly I want to run it at boot time, I am using gnome.

Why don't you answer the question? Gnome should start it when Gnome
and X start, not when the system boots.

What are you really trying to do? What is the problem you're trying
to solve?


--
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
(*) http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html Linux Counter #80292
- - http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html Please, don't Cc: me.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Javier
 
Default -- SPAM -- rc.local is not executed

Abdelkader Belahcene escribió:

Thanks for reply,
exactly I want to run it at boot time, I am using gnome.
so how to do it.
thanks
bela



In Gnome, just go to System->Preferences->Sessions, and add the program
to the list.



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2009, 03:16 PM
Mike McClain
 
Default -- SPAM -- rc.local is not executed

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:
>On 02/08/2009 01:45 PM, Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
>>Hi,
>>I used /etc/rc.local to run at the boot a program, but it didn't, here
>>is what I wrote
<snip>
>
>Everything in my rc.local works like a champ.

I'm curious how this works for you but not for Mr. Belahcene and not for me.

I've a Debian 4.0 (Etch mostly) system with sysv-rc installed
and /etc/rc.local is not called by default. I added a call in
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh to get it executed because the suggestion in
the Debian FAQ sect. 10.6 which says to put a script in /etc/init.d/
then use update-rc.d to set the links seemed over complex for my needs.

Do you have the file-rc package installed instead of sysv-rc?

Thanks,
Mike


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-13-2009, 05:03 PM
Jochen Schulz
 
Default -- SPAM -- rc.local is not executed

Mike McClain:
> On Sun, 08 Feb 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Everything in my rc.local works like a champ.
>
> I'm curious how this works for you but not for Mr. Belahcene and not for me.
>
> I've a Debian 4.0 (Etch mostly) system with sysv-rc installed
> and /etc/rc.local is not called by default.

And you are sure you removed the "exit 0" line at the beginning of the
file?

J.
--
I wear a lot of leather but would never wear fur.
[Agree] [Disagree]
<http://www.slowlydownward.com/NODATA/data_enter2.html>
 
Old 02-13-2009, 05:13 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default -- SPAM -- rc.local is not executed

On 02/13/2009 10:16 AM, Mike McClain wrote:

On Sun, 08 Feb 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:

On 02/08/2009 01:45 PM, Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:

Hi,
I used /etc/rc.local to run at the boot a program, but it didn't, here
is what I wrote

<snip>

Everything in my rc.local works like a champ.


I'm curious how this works for you but not for Mr. Belahcene and not for me.


Because I don't have any GUI app activations in my rc.local. Only
daemons and other CLI apps. Here's what mine looks like:


***** BEGINNING OF rc.local
#!/bin/sh -e

echo 2100000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
cpufreq-set -g ondemand

python /usr/local/bin/cpu_temp_daemon.py

#if [ -f /data/03/swap/swap003.swap ]; then
# swapon -v /data/03/swap/swap003.swap
#fi

#if [ -f /data/03/swap/swap004.swap ]; then
# swapon -v /data/03/swap/swap004.swap
#fi

chown me:me /data/private

exit 0
****** END OF rc.local


I've a Debian 4.0 (Etch mostly) system with sysv-rc installed
and /etc/rc.local is not called by default. I added a call in
/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh to get it executed because the suggestion in
the Debian FAQ sect. 10.6 which says to put a script in /etc/init.d/
then use update-rc.d to set the links seemed over complex for my needs.

Do you have the file-rc package installed instead of sysv-rc?


--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Supporting World Peace Through Nuclear Pacification


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-14-2009, 04:14 AM
Mike McClain
 
Default -- SPAM -- rc.local is not executed

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 07:03:32PM +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> > I've a Debian 4.0 (Etch mostly) system with sysv-rc installed
> > and /etc/rc.local is not called by default.
>
> And you are sure you removed the "exit 0" line at the beginning of the
> file?
>
> J.

Well, my apologies, I'm so used to Debian not having an /etc/rc.local
that I probably overwrote it with 'echo ... > /etc/rc.local'. My backups
only go back to Deb 3.0 so I don't know when /etc/rc.local got back into
Debian but there is no such in Deb 3.0, 3.1 would they have been executed
then? Can't remember if I tried then, but /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh is in my
backup list for Deb 3.0 so I doubt it.

Egg on my face (again),
Mike


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Mike McClain
 
Default -- SPAM -- rc.local is not executed

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 07:03:32PM +0100, Jochen Schulz wrote:
> Mike McClain:
> > On Sun, 08 Feb 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:
> >>
> >> Everything in my rc.local works like a champ.
> >
> > I'm curious how this works for you but not for Mr. Belahcene and not for me.
> >
> > I've a Debian 4.0 (Etch mostly) system with sysv-rc installed
> > and /etc/rc.local is not called by default.
>
> And you are sure you removed the "exit 0" line at the beginning of the
> file?
>
> J.

OK I take it back, it wasn't egg just my face after all.

mike@/deb40a:~> cat /etc/rc.local
#!/bin/sh
# /deb40a/etc/rc.local just for testing Feb 9 2009
echo "running /deb40a/etc/rc.local " $(date) > /root/rc.local.running
mike@/deb40a:~> ls -l /etc/rc.local
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 137 Feb 14 06:46 /etc/rc.local

after rebooting there is no /root/rc.local.running
root@/deb40a:~> ls /root/rc.local.running
ls: /root/rc.local.running: No such file or directory

root@/deb40a:~> grep -R rc.local /etc/*
only shows the call in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh that I put there to
call my /root/bin/rc.local and the contents of the above mentioned
/etc/rc.local that I just generated which doesn't get executed.

So my questions to you who have an installed /etc/rc.local are which
package did it come from and how does it get executed?

Thanks,
Mike


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-16-2009, 05:32 AM
Chris Bannister
 
Default -- SPAM -- rc.local is not executed

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 03:24:47PM -0800, Mike McClain wrote:
> root@/deb40a:~> grep -R rc.local /etc/*
> only shows the call in /etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh that I put there to
> call my /root/bin/rc.local and the contents of the above mentioned
> /etc/rc.local that I just generated which doesn't get executed.

And if a new version of "/etc/init.d/bootmisc.sh" is installed, your
edits will be overwritten or if the files in /etc/init.d/ get the
same treatment as config files when the package is being upgraded, you
will still have to manually merge your changes. There is no merge
option.

--
Chris.
======
I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god
than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other
possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.
-- Stephen F Roberts


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org