Old 02-07-2009, 06:49 PM
Nagy Daniel

Default Cloning methods

Hi, again :S

What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
open-source software alternateive for it :P]
I mean cloning like in norton ghost, a program that could "leave" bad
blocks behind, when cloning, and not making a 10 GByte output file
[like the partition size is], but just a eg.: a 3 GByte file [because
3 GByte was used in that partition, all other 7 GByte was free]?
[The main goal is to install os on eg.: 15 computers, but only with
one physically install in the "reality"]

Thank you!

regards
david

Old 02-07-2009, 07:05 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Nagy Daniel wrote:
> Hi, again :S
>
> What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
> open-source software alternateive for it :P]
> I mean cloning like in norton ghost, a program that could "leave" bad
> blocks behind, when cloning, and not making a 10 GByte output file
> [like the partition size is], but just a eg.: a 3 GByte file [because
> 3 GByte was used in that partition, all other 7 GByte was free]?
> [The main goal is to install os on eg.: 15 computers, but only with
> one physically install in the "reality"]

You may want to take a look at the partimage program.

--
"Jesus may love you, but I think you're garbage wrapped in skin."
-- Michael O'Donohugh

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 02-07-2009, 07:28 PM
Alex Samad

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 06:05:44PM -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Nagy Daniel wrote:
> > Hi, again :S
> >
> > What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
> > open-source software alternateive for it :P]
> > I mean cloning like in norton ghost, a program that could "leave" bad
> > blocks behind, when cloning, and not making a 10 GByte output file
> > [like the partition size is], but just a eg.: a 3 GByte file [because
> > 3 GByte was used in that partition, all other 7 GByte was free]?
> > [The main goal is to install os on eg.: 15 computers, but only with
> > one physically install in the "reality"]

systemimager
mondoresue

> You may want to take a look at the partimage program.
>

> --
> "Jesus may love you, but I think you're garbage wrapped in skin."
> -- Michael O'Donohugh
>
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
> eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
> http://move.to/hpkb

The smiling Spring comes in rejoicing,
And surly Winter grimly flies.
Now crystal clear are the falling waters,
And bonnie blue are the sunny skies.
Fresh o'er the mountains breaks forth the morning,
The ev'ning gilds the oceans's swell:
All creatures joy in the sun's returning,
And I rejoice in my bonnie Bell.

The flowery Spring leads sunny Summer,
The yellow Autumn presses near;
Then in his turn come gloomy Winter,
Till smiling Spring again appear.
Thus seasons dancing, life advancing,
Old Time and Nature their changes tell;
But never ranging, still unchanging,
I adore my bonnie Bell.
-- Robert Burns, "My Bonnie Bell"

Old 02-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Adrian Levi

2009/2/8 Nagy Daniel <n.dani86@gmail.com>:
> Hi, again :S
>
> What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
> open-source software alternateive for it :P]
> I mean cloning like in norton ghost, a program that could "leave" bad
> blocks behind, when cloning, and not making a 10 GByte output file
> [like the partition size is], but just a eg.: a 3 GByte file [because
> 3 GByte was used in that partition, all other 7 GByte was free]?
> [The main goal is to install os on eg.: 15 computers, but only with
> one physically install in the "reality"]
>
> Thank you!

Dump / restore

Was a lot less painful than I thought it would be.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:28 AM
Stefan Monnier

> What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
> open-source software alternateive for it :P]

- dump&restore
- tar
- cpio
- rsync -a
- cp -a

Stefan

Old 02-08-2009, 03:16 AM
Kelly Harding

2009/2/8 Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>:
>> What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
>> open-source software alternateive for it :P]

If you use XFS the xfsdump/xfsrestore programs are very good.

Theres also clonezilla which should do the job.

Kelly

Old 02-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Dotan Cohen

2009/2/7 Alex Samad:
> systemimager
> mondoresue

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a record!

68 Lines in emaiI:
2 original lines (one word each)
25 Quoted lines
26 Lines of sig!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Old 02-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Johannes Wiedersich

Nagy Daniel wrote:
> What's the best method for cloning a partition? [searching for an
> open-source software alternateive for it :P]

partimage is for 'cloning' of most types of partitions.

For linux partitions (ext3), however I prefer 'rsync -a', since it
copies files and is more efficient IMHO. This applies especially, if you
just want to update a few files on the already installed systems. (With
'cloning' you'll have to do the full job again, instead of just syncing
a few files. )

For identical hardware, ie. you want to partition all your disks just
the same without much hassle, partimage will partition and copy in one go.

For ntfs your best choice is probably ntfsclone.

> [The main goal is to install os on eg.: 15 computers, but only with
> one physically install in the "reality"]

You could just use a usb housing/adapter and plug and clone the 15 disks
of the 15 computers one after the other. This way you don't have to boot
each of the computers to a live system in order to do the copying. YMMV.

Cheers,
Johannes

Old 02-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Stefan Monnier

> For linux partitions (ext3), however I prefer 'rsync -a', since it
> copies files and is more efficient IMHO. This applies especially, if you
> just want to update a few files on the already installed systems. (With

`rsync' also has the advantage that if something happens during the
clone, you can restart it later on without any problem. Maybe I'm
unlucky, but it seems like this happens often to me (as in "more often
than not").

Stefan

Old 02-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Alex Samad

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 01:56:45PM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 2009/2/7 Alex Samad:
> > systemimager
> > mondoresue
>
> Ladies and gentlemen, we have a record!
>
> 68 Lines in emaiI:
> 2 original lines (one word each)
> 25 Quoted lines
> 26 Lines of sig!

okay in my defence I didn't see the sig's and they were rather excessive

But I though the email mail bits I left were relevant for contexts

I suppose I could have given more info on the packages but I left that
up the op.

sounds like a visa/mastercard ad

--
All true wisdom is found on T-shirts.