Old 02-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Jude DaShiell

Default postgresql postrm script needs work

Having failed to install postgresql on sid for reasons already discussed
on this list, I ran updatedb then did locate postgresql | less to see what
I could find. Not to my surprise, I found all kinds of postgresql cruft
littering my system after having done aptitude remove --purge postgresql
in all of its suffix variations. When that script fails to do an install,
it also fails to clean up after itself too. The exim4 package and
firebird packages are also the same in this respect. What I'm wondering
about is what happens if a dirty system results as a result of a failed
installation and later a good installation happens is it expected under
debian standards that the system will be innocent of any old cruft from
that failed installation?

Old 02-07-2009, 06:51 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Having failed to install postgresql on sid for reasons already discussed
> on this list, I ran updatedb then did locate postgresql | less to see
[snip]
I doubt postgresql maintainers read this. File a bug.

C++/Perl developer, Debian Maintainer

Old 02-08-2009, 10:40 PM
Jude DaShiell

I forgot to mention tiger had also been installed on this system. When
tiger got removed earlier today, all the sudden a whole bunch of
postgresql packages were removed with it. Apparently there was some kind
of dependencies issues with stuff in the tiger packages. I am puzzled by
this since tiger and postgresql were two distinctly separate installs.