Old 02-07-2009, 06:33 PM
S D

Default No way to disable Google "safebrowsing" in IceWeasel?

Is there a way to disable Google "safebrowsing" feature in IceWeasel? I want to have as little as possible with Google, even if it only means repeatedly downloading some black-list file from their servers.

Thanks

$ uname -a
Linux test 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Fri Dec 12 16:48:28 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.19) Gecko/20081202 Iceweasel/2.0.0.19 (Debian-2.0.0.19-0etch1)

Old 02-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Jeff D

On Sat, 7 Feb 2009, S D wrote:

> Is there a way to disable Google "safebrowsing" feature in IceWeasel? I want to have as little as possible with Google, even if it only means repeatedly downloading some black-list file from their servers.
>
> Thanks

type in about:config in the address bar ,in filter put in
browser.safebrowsing.enabled , then click on the line that shows up,
should turn it to false

--
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:46 PM
S D

--- On Sat, 2/7/09, Jeff D <fixedored@gmail.com> wrote:

> type in about:config in the address bar ,in filter put in
> browser.safebrowsing.enabled , then click on the line that
> shows up,
> should turn it to false

That won't work. The "browser.safebrowsing.enabled" property is LOCKED and can't be changed from about:config.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

S D wrote:
> --- On Sat, 2/7/09, Jeff D <fixedored@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> type in about:config in the address bar ,in filter put in
>> browser.safebrowsing.enabled , then click on the line that
>> shows up,
>> should turn it to false
>>
> That won't work. The "browser.safebrowsing.enabled" property is LOCKED and can't be changed from about:config.

That's strange, I've just changed mine successfully.

You could try editing prefs.js in the iceweasel profile directory. Be
sure to do it while the browser is not running, or the setting will be
overwritten when the program closes.

--
The more I want to get something done, the less I call it work.
-- Richard Bach, "Illusions"

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 02-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Michael Wagner

* S D <sundimi@yahoo.com> 07.02.2009

> Is there a way to disable Google "safebrowsing" feature in IceWeasel?
> I want to have as little as possible with Google, even if it only
> means repeatedly downloading some black-list file from their servers.

You can use the "CustomizeGoogle" with which you can customize a few
things more than only the *safebrowsing* feature.

Hth Michael

Old 02-08-2009, 02:25 AM
S D

-- End of message -----------------------------------------------------

--- On Sat, 2/7/09, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> wrote:

> That's strange, I've just changed mine
> successfully.

You probably have Iceweasel version earlier than "Iceweasel/2.0.0.19 (Debian-2.0.0.19-0etch1)". I remember I used to be able to do that too. Not anymore.

> You could try editing prefs.js in the iceweasel profile
> directory.

Yes, that should work. I've looked into prefs.js and I actually do have "safebrowsing" disabled:

user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.enabled", false);
user_pref("browser.safebrowsing.remoteLookups", false);

So the GUI doesn't allow me to *enable* it. That's weird but whatever, I want it disabled.

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-08-2009, 02:57 AM
John Hasler

S D writes:
> You probably have Iceweasel version earlier than "Iceweasel/2.0.0.19
> (Debian-2.0.0.19-0etch1)". I remember I used to be able to do that
> too. Not anymore.

I have 3.0.5. I can change it.
--
John Hasler

Old 02-08-2009, 04:24 AM
Michael Wagner

* Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de> 07.02.2009
> * S D <sundimi@yahoo.com> 07.02.2009
>
> > Is there a way to disable Google "safebrowsing" feature in IceWeasel?
> > I want to have as little as possible with Google, even if it only
> > means repeatedly downloading some black-list file from their servers.
>
> You can use the "CustomizeGoogle" with which you can customize a few
> things more than only the *safebrowsing* feature.

I opined the "CustomizeGoogle" Addon from the mozilla website.

Michael

--
A hacker's interpretation of the 1st & 2nd amendments:
They can have my computer,

Old 02-08-2009, 05:45 AM
Mark Allums

S D wrote:

Is there a way to disable Google "safebrowsing" feature in IceWeasel? I want to have as little as possible with Google, even if it only means repeatedly downloading some black-list file from their servers.

Thanks

$ uname -a
Linux test 2.6.18-6-686 #1 SMP Fri Dec 12 16:48:28 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.19) Gecko/20081202 Iceweasel/2.0.0.19 (Debian-2.0.0.19-0etch1)

Consider upgrading Iceweasel to 3.0.6. It' pretty stable now, and
doesn't appear to have that problem, and it has quite a few nice
features beside.

Mark Allums

Old 02-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

S D wrote:
> You probably have Iceweasel version earlier than "Iceweasel/2.0.0.19 (Debian-2.0.0.19-0etch1)". I remember I used to be able to do that too. Not anymore.

No, my version is 3.0.5.

2.0.0.19 is ancient. :-)

--
modem, adj.:
Up-to-date, new-fangled, as in "Thoroughly Modem Millie." An

[That's sic!]

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb