FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-07-2009, 03:31 PM
"Thomas H. George"
 
Default mount foo.img problem

I have carefullly followed the instructions in man mount and in the
Debian Reference manual, for example

mount -o loop -t ext3 debxo-awesome.ext3.img /media/sdloop

or

mount dexo-awesome.ext3.img /media/sdloop -t ext3 -o loop

In both cases the mount command exits with a message:

Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev loop0.


What must I do to be able to mount this image file?

Tom


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-07-2009, 03:43 PM
Ding Honghui
 
Default mount foo.img problem

Thomas H. George wrote:
> I have carefullly followed the instructions in man mount and in the
> Debian Reference manual, for example
>
> mount -o loop -t ext3 debxo-awesome.ext3.img /media/sdloop
>
> or
>
> mount dexo-awesome.ext3.img /media/sdloop -t ext3 -o loop
>
> In both cases the mount command exits with a message:
>
> Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev loop0.
>
>
> What must I do to be able to mount this image file?
>
> Tom
>
>
There are no ext3 filesystem in file dexo-awesome.ext3.img. Maybe no
filesystem or filesystem such as ntfs,vfat(fat32) in dexo-awesome.ext3.img.
If you would like to create ext3 filesystem on this file, please run
--------------------------------
mkfs.ext3 dexo-awesome.ext3.img
--------------------------------

Regards,
Ding Honghui


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-07-2009, 03:44 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default mount foo.img problem

On Saturday 07 February 2009 10:31:17 Thomas H. George wrote:
> I have carefullly followed the instructions in man mount and in the
> Debian Reference manual, for example
>
> mount -o loop -t ext3 debxo-awesome.ext3.img /media/sdloop
>
> or
>
> mount dexo-awesome.ext3.img /media/sdloop -t ext3 -o loop

Either of those commands are correct.

> In both cases the mount command exits with a message:
>
> Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev loop0.

Could mean a few things, but it generally means your image file is either
corrupt or was never ext3 formatted.

> What must I do to be able to mount this image file?

Could you run "file debxo-awesome.ext3.img" can provide the output?
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 02-07-2009, 06:37 PM
"Thomas H. George"
 
Default mount foo.img problem

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 10:44:47AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Saturday 07 February 2009 10:31:17 Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I have carefullly followed the instructions in man mount and in the
> > Debian Reference manual, for example
> >
> > mount -o loop -t ext3 debxo-awesome.ext3.img /media/sdloop
> >
> > or
> >
> > mount dexo-awesome.ext3.img /media/sdloop -t ext3 -o loop
>
> Either of those commands are correct.
>
> > In both cases the mount command exits with a message:
> >
> > Can't find ext3 filesystem on dev loop0.
>
> Could mean a few things, but it generally means your image file is either
> corrupt or was never ext3 formatted.
>
> > What must I do to be able to mount this image file?
>
> Could you run "file debxo-awesome.ext3.img" can provide the output?
> --
OK, here it is:


Script started on Sat 07 Feb 2009 02:26:44 PM EST
dragon:/data/olpc# file debxo-awesome.ext3.img
debxo-awesome.ext3.img: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x83, active, starthead 1, startsector 32, 3848160 sectors
dragon:/data/olpc# exit

Script done on Sat 07 Feb 2009 02:27:12 PM EST

The image was meant to be transfered to a USB device but the
instructions said that if the device was less than 2 Gb it could be loop
mounted as ext3 in order to copy the guts of the image to a smaller USB
device.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Adrian Levi
 
Default mount foo.img problem

2009/2/8 Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info>:

> Script started on Sat 07 Feb 2009 02:26:44 PM EST
> dragon:/data/olpc# file debxo-awesome.ext3.img
> debxo-awesome.ext3.img: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x83, active, starthead 1, startsector 32, 3848160 sectors
> dragon:/data/olpc# exit
>
> Script done on Sat 07 Feb 2009 02:27:12 PM EST
>
> The image was meant to be transfered to a USB device but the
> instructions said that if the device was less than 2 Gb it could be loop
> mounted as ext3 in order to copy the guts of the image to a smaller USB
> device.

Try mounting it as ext2, there might be something funny happening with
the journal.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
<erno> hm. I've lost a machine.. literally _lost_. it responds to
ping, it works completely, I just can't figure out where in my
apartment it is.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-07-2009, 08:28 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default mount foo.img problem

On Saturday 07 February 2009 13:37:46 Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 10:44:47AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Saturday 07 February 2009 10:31:17 Thomas H. George wrote:
> > > What must I do to be able to mount this image file?
> > Could you run "file debxo-awesome.ext3.img" can provide the output?
> dragon:/data/olpc# file debxo-awesome.ext3.img
> debxo-awesome.ext3.img: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x83, active,
> starthead 1, startsector 32, 3848160 sectors dragon:/data/olpc# exit

It looks like it is a whole-disk image -- the first part of it appears to be
an MBR. You'll need to use some loopback parameters to skip the MBR and
partition table. I think you only need to skip 512 bytes... could you try:
tail -c +513 debxo-awesome.ext3.img | file -
and see if that reports that it found an ext3 filesystem.

> The image was meant to be transfered to a USB device but the
> instructions said that if the device was less than 2 Gb it could be loop
> mounted as ext3 in order to copy the guts of the image to a smaller USB
> device.

It can be, but in this case it's not as simple as just using the loop mount
option, unfortunately. You'll probably need just the additional offset
option. Once we find the offset, things should be "easy"; although, after you
move the files over, you'll also want to dd the MBR over as well.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 02-07-2009, 09:24 PM
"Thomas H. George"
 
Default mount foo.img problem

On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 03:28:20PM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> On Saturday 07 February 2009 13:37:46 Thomas H. George wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 10:44:47AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > > On Saturday 07 February 2009 10:31:17 Thomas H. George wrote:
> > > > What must I do to be able to mount this image file?
> > > Could you run "file debxo-awesome.ext3.img" can provide the output?
> > dragon:/data/olpc# file debxo-awesome.ext3.img
> > debxo-awesome.ext3.img: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x83, active,
> > starthead 1, startsector 32, 3848160 sectors dragon:/data/olpc# exit
>
> It looks like it is a whole-disk image -- the first part of it appears to be
> an MBR. You'll need to use some loopback parameters to skip the MBR and
> partition table. I think you only need to skip 512 bytes... could you try:
> tail -c +513 debxo-awesome.ext3.img | file -
> and see if that reports that it found an ext3 filesystem.


Script started on Sat 07 Feb 2009 05:14:12 PM EST
dragon:/data/olpc# tail -c +513 debxo-awesome.ext3.img | file -
/dev/stdin: GRand Unified Bootloader stage1_5 version 3.2, identifier 0x2, GRUB version 0.97, configuration file 377
dragon:/data/olpc# exit

Script done on Sat 07 Feb 2009 05:15:09 PM EST

So I tried


Script started on Sat 07 Feb 2009 05:20:59 PM EST
dragon:/data/olpc# mount -o loop.offset=512 -t ext3 debxo-awesome.ext3.img /medi a/sdloop
mount: /data/olpc/debxo-awesome.ext3.img is not a block device (maybe try `-o loop'?)
dragon:/data/olpc# exit

which seemed to be what the Debian Reference suggested but I guess this
is not quite right.

Script done on Sat 07 Feb 2009 05:21:57 PM EST
>
> > The image was meant to be transfered to a USB device but the
> > instructions said that if the device was less than 2 Gb it could be loop
> > mounted as ext3 in order to copy the guts of the image to a smaller USB
> > device.
>
> It can be, but in this case it's not as simple as just using the loop mount
> option, unfortunately. You'll probably need just the additional offset
> option. Once we find the offset, things should be "easy"; although, after you
> move the files over, you'll also want to dd the MBR over as well.
> --
> Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
> bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
> ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
> http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-07-2009, 10:48 PM
"Thomas H. George"
 
Default mount foo.img problem

Out of town for a week, I'll try again next week.

Tom


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-07-2009, 10:52 PM
Aneurin Price
 
Default mount foo.img problem

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 10:24 PM, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 03:28:20PM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> On Saturday 07 February 2009 13:37:46 Thomas H. George wrote:
>> > On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 10:44:47AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
>> > > On Saturday 07 February 2009 10:31:17 Thomas H. George wrote:
>> > > > What must I do to be able to mount this image file?
>> > > Could you run "file debxo-awesome.ext3.img" can provide the output?
>> > dragon:/data/olpc# file debxo-awesome.ext3.img
>> > debxo-awesome.ext3.img: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x83, active,
>> > starthead 1, startsector 32, 3848160 sectors dragon:/data/olpc# exit
>>
>> It looks like it is a whole-disk image -- the first part of it appears to be
>> an MBR. You'll need to use some loopback parameters to skip the MBR and
>> partition table. I think you only need to skip 512 bytes... could you try:
>> tail -c +513 debxo-awesome.ext3.img | file -
>> and see if that reports that it found an ext3 filesystem.
>
>
> Script started on Sat 07 Feb 2009 05:14:12 PM EST
> dragon:/data/olpc# tail -c +513 debxo-awesome.ext3.img | file -
> /dev/stdin: GRand Unified Bootloader stage1_5 version 3.2, identifier 0x2, GRUB version 0.97, configuration file 377
> dragon:/data/olpc# exit
>
> Script done on Sat 07 Feb 2009 05:15:09 PM EST
>
> So I tried
>
>
> Script started on Sat 07 Feb 2009 05:20:59 PM EST
> dragon:/data/olpc# mount -o loop.offset=512 -t ext3 debxo-awesome.ext3.img /medi a/sdloop
> mount: /data/olpc/debxo-awesome.ext3.img is not a block device (maybe try `-o loop'?)
> dragon:/data/olpc# exit
>
> which seemed to be what the Debian Reference suggested but I guess this
> is not quite right.
>
> Script done on Sat 07 Feb 2009 05:21:57 PM EST
>>
>> > The image was meant to be transfered to a USB device but the
>> > instructions said that if the device was less than 2 Gb it could be loop
>> > mounted as ext3 in order to copy the guts of the image to a smaller USB
>> > device.
>>
>> It can be, but in this case it's not as simple as just using the loop mount
>> option, unfortunately. You'll probably need just the additional offset
>> option. Once we find the offset, things should be "easy"; although, after you
>> move the files over, you'll also want to dd the MBR over as well.

You could try a slightly more heavy-handed approach:

for ((i=0 ; $i < 10000 ; i=$i + 1)) ; do
mount -o loop,offset=$(($i * 512)) debxo-awesome.ext3.img
/media/sdloop && break
done

You might even be able to use fdisk on the image to get some more information,
but I don't know about that.

Nye


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-08-2009, 03:39 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default mount foo.img problem

On Saturday 07 February 2009 16:24:51 Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 03:28:20PM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > On Saturday 07 February 2009 13:37:46 Thomas H. George wrote:
> > > On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 10:44:47AM -0600, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
> > > > On Saturday 07 February 2009 10:31:17 Thomas H. George wrote:
> > > > Could you run "file debxo-awesome.ext3.img" can provide the output?
> > > dragon:/data/olpc# file debxo-awesome.ext3.img
> > > debxo-awesome.ext3.img: x86 boot sector; partition 1: ID=0x83, active,
> > > starthead 1, startsector 32, 3848160 sectors dragon:/data/olpc# exit
> > It looks like it is a whole-disk image -- the first part of it appears to
> > be an MBR. I think you only need to skip 512 bytes... could
> > you try: tail -c +513 debxo-awesome.ext3.img | file -
> > and see if that reports that it found an ext3 filesystem.
> dragon:/data/olpc# tail -c +513 debxo-awesome.ext3.img | file -
> /dev/stdin: GRand Unified Bootloader stage1_5 version 3.2, identifier 0x2,
> GRUB version 0.97, configuration file 377 dragon:/data/olpc# exit

Still probably not the beginning of a ext3 filesystem.

The idea to fdisk the image is not bad. You might try:
fdisk -l debxo-awesome.ext3.img
To attempt to find the beginning of the ext3 filesystem.

> Script started on Sat 07 Feb 2009 05:20:59 PM EST
> dragon:/data/olpc# mount -o loop.offset=512 -t ext3 debxo-awesome.ext3.img
^
The '.' should be a ','.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:26 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org