Old 02-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Patrick Ouellette

Default using modem with phone

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:17:45PM +0000, Bhasker C V wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I tried to google around but could not even get a match near to what i
> want. In fact i am running short of terminologies to exactly define what
> i want.
>
> What i want is, i want to use the internal modem of a system to work
> as a PSTN gateway so that i can control my telephone when connected to
> my modem. This way, i can make my telephone ring through my software. I
> can re-route my audio in/out to the phone. Is this possible ? does the
> modem protocol support this ?

A standard modem will not do what you want. Look up Asterisk
(http://www.asterisk.org). I think you will find this software
is what you are looking for, and there are some hardware suggestions
on the site too.

Pat
--

Patrick Ouellette pat@flying-gecko.net
ne4po (at) arrl (dot) net Amateur Radio: NE4PO

Old 02-07-2009, 06:08 PM
David Baron

On Saturday 07 February 2009 01:04:19 debian-user-digest-
request@lists.debian.org wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 09:17:45PM +0000, Bhasker C V wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > *I tried to google around but could not even get a match near to what i *
> > want. In fact i am running short of terminologies to exactly define what
> > i want.
> >
> > *What i want is, i want to use the internal modem of a system to work
> > as a PSTN gateway so that i can control my telephone when connected to *
> > my modem. This way, i can make my telephone ring through my software. I *
> > can re-route my audio in/out to the phone. Is this possible ? does the *
> > modem protocol support this ?
>
> A standard modem will not do what you want. *Look up Asterisk
> (http://www.asterisk.org). *I think you will find this software
> is what you are looking for, and there are some hardware suggestions
> on the site too.
>
> Pat

I do not claim to be an expert. I have written and daily use a kde4 plasma-
applet to control a speaker-phone modem (get it a kde-apps.org). Needed this
because I do not have a phone-set by the machine. This way, I "do" :-)

To make phone ring through software, xringd (available in repositories) will
let you do that. I used parts of that code to monitor rings in my applet.

To route the audio, besides running cables to the sound card, I do not see how
to do this (unless the modem specifically supports such a thing). I wonder if
alsa drivers are around special for voice modems.

Asterisk is a very large pbx oriented suite but it probably the best developed
of any of the telephony programs. Might take a look.