Old 02-06-2009, 06:32 PM
"Chris Thompson"

Default Solid DSL gateway for server environment

On Fri, February 6, 2009 7:46 pm, E Frank Ball III wrote:
> few

> mail)
> DSL
> keeps
>
> I run a server from my home DSL line too. I just use my Linux box as
> the router and it works fine.
>
> I'm using shorewall to configure the firewall/routing.

Yes, I was planning to use a debian system to take care of
firewalling/routing but until now the problem has been with the hardware
facing the ISP - and that's what I want to change.

Chris

Old 02-06-2009, 07:51 PM
Bao Ha

Hi Chris,

See comments inside.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Chris Thompson <cthompson@vp44.net> wrote:

On Fri, February 6, 2009 7:46 pm, E Frank Ball III wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 05:31:16PM +0100, Chris Thompson wrote:

> *> >> I run two mail and web servers from my house on a DSL line. Until a

> few

> *> >>

> *> >> Both the servers sustain quite some traffic and (especially the

> mail)

> *> >> need

> *> >> to open many more connections that a mid-level router can handle.

> *> >> After reading some reviews, I decided to purchase a linksys AM200

> DSL

> *> >> gateway and configure it to run in half-bridge mode (so that all the

> *> >> public IPs are mapped directly on the servers' network interfaces).

> *> >> Unfortunately, even with the newest firmware, the linksys modem

> keeps

> *> >> crashing when under load.
What is the half bridge mode? Can it be configured as full-bridge mode?

Many times, a small router crashes because they are acting as a stateful firewall. They just don't have enough memory.

However, at full load as a bridge, the ADSL throughput is still very low, about 7Mbps compared to 90Mbps of a 10/100 Ethernet. I have not seen any of them failed to pass that much raw traffic yet. You can test it just by running iperf through it to see how long it can keep up the load.

*
Bao
--
Best Regards.
Bao C. Ha

Old 02-07-2009, 10:29 AM
Aiko Barz

On Fri, Feb 06, 2009 at 10:42:39AM +0100, Chris Thompson wrote:
> Hi all.
> I run two mail and web servers from my house on a DSL line. Until a few
> weeks ago I was on cable but a new ISP launched some good SME offers and I
> decided to make the switch.

And I drop all connections to port 25 from IP addresses, that have a
reverse DNS entry like dsl.foo.bar, dynamic.foo.bar, dhcp.foo.bar.
There is a 99.999% chance, that a botnet is talking to you.

I hope, you are using a smarthost and do not send directly.

So long,
Aiko
--
:wq ‚úČ