Old 02-06-2009, 05:23 PM
muzzle

Default find least used packages

Hi debianers,
I would like to clean up my system a bit. I already used deborphan to
remove unused libs, now I would like to use the popcon information on
my pc to find the least used packages I have. Is there a tool, maybe
just a clever bash line or a script, that can help me with that?

Cheers,

Emme

Old 03-10-2009, 12:56 PM
Hendrik Boom

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 19:23:17 +0100, muzzle wrote:

> Hi debianers,
> I would like to clean up my system a bit. I already used deborphan to
> remove unused libs, now I would like to use the popcon information on my
> pc to find the least used packages I have. Is there a tool, maybe just a
> clever bash line or a script, that can help me with that?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Emme

>From the Lenny relesae notes, section 4.5.3:

Remove forgotten packages. If you have popularity-contest installed, you
can use popcon-largest-unused to list the packages you do not use that
occupy the most space. You can also use deborphan or debfoster to find
obsolete packages (see Section 4.11, “Obsolete packages” ). Alternatively
you can start aptitude in “visual mode” and find obsolete packages under
“Obsolete and Locally Created Packages”.

http://www.debian.org/releases/lenny/releasenotes

-- hendrik

Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Marc Shapiro

Hendrik Boom wrote:
Remove forgotten packages. If you have popularity-contest installed, you
can use popcon-largest-unused to list the packages you do not use that
occupy the most space. You can also use deborphan or debfoster to find
obsolete packages (see Section 4.11, “Obsolete packages” ). Alternatively
you can start aptitude in “visual mode” and find obsolete packages under
“Obsolete and Locally Created Packages”.

Are these actually COMPLETELY unused packages? I had never used popcon,
before, but I installed and ran it and it gave me a list of 233
packages. The largest of these, excluding my previous kernel, was
libgl1-mesa-dri, which is recommended by xserver-xorg. Certainly, this
is only a 'Recommends' and could be removed, but I would assume that it
is actually being used by xserver-xorg and so, should not be at the top
of a list of unused packages. Am I misunderstanding something, here?

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Thu Mar 12 16:30:01 2009