FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-06-2009, 04:25 PM
Abdelkader Belahcene
 
Default Which programming Language

HI,
There are many and many programming languages (mainly : C,C++,java,
Shell, Perl, python, php). which learn and use, in which circonstances
use that language instead of the other.

In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.

thanks a lot
bela
______


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-06-2009, 04:44 PM
Michael Shuler
 
Default Which programming Language

On 02/06/2009 11:25 AM, Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
> which is better.

Similar to:

what is the best ice cream flavor?
what is the best car?


--
Kind Regards,
Michael Shuler


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Antonio Macchi
 
Default Which programming Language

In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.



in this situation, maybe, scripting languages is better
(no waste time for compilations...)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-06-2009, 05:14 PM
Javier
 
Default Which programming Language

Abdelkader Belahcene escribi:

HI,
There are many and many programming languages (mainly : C,C++,java,
Shell, Perl, python, php). which learn and use, in which circonstances
use that language instead of the other.

In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.


For learning purpuses, Python and Basic. But when you finish learning
it, the continue with C, Perl, Pascal, even Lisp.
A programmer must know several languages. I don't know of any
professional programmer who does know only one.


Which is better? For text processing, Perl, for driver programming, C,
for applications it depends, it can be Python if you don't need it fast,
or C++, Pascal, if you need it faster...


So start with Python or Basic (search for Gambas IDE).


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Mitchell Laks
 
Default Which programming Language

On 18:25 Fri 06 Feb , Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
> HI,
> There are many and many programming languages (mainly : C,C++,java,
> Shell, Perl, python, php). which learn and use, in which circonstances
> use that language instead of the other.
>
> In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.

<Dons flame retardant hat>

Common Lisp!

mitchell


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Sam Kuper
 
Default Which programming Language

2009/2/6 Mitchell Laks <mlaks@post.harvard.edu>:
> On 18:25 Fri 06 Feb , Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
>> In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.
>
> <Dons flame retardant hat>
>
> Common Lisp!

<Puts on tinfoil underpants>

Scheme!


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-06-2009, 07:05 PM
Jeff Soules
 
Default Which programming Language

> So start with Python or Basic (search for Gambas IDE).

I hear that Python is an excellent learning language. However, I
think that Basic might be less useful for this, simply because it's
very different from the major language families and (last I heard)
still relied on some features that teach bad habits. Also, I do not
believe Basic is used very much in the Unix/Linux world; it might be
more useful if you intend to work with Windows a lot.

If you are comfortable with how the insides of a computer work (mainly
with memory), then actually I would encourage you to learn C early on.
(If you are not comfortable with how the insides of a computer work,
you should become comfortable; you'll need to know soon enough.)

C has a few features (variable and function declarations, strict type
checking) that are good reinforcement when starting out, and learning
C syntax will set you up well to learn C++, Java, and Perl as you
progress.


On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:14 PM, Javier <javuchi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Abdelkader Belahcene escribi:
>>
>> HI,
>> There are many and many programming languages (mainly : C,C++,java,
>> Shell, Perl, python, php). which learn and use, in which circonstances
>> use that language instead of the other.
>>
>> In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.
>
> For learning purpuses, Python and Basic. But when you finish learning it,
> the continue with C, Perl, Pascal, even Lisp.
> A programmer must know several languages. I don't know of any professional
> programmer who does know only one.
>
> Which is better? For text processing, Perl, for driver programming, C, for
> applications it depends, it can be Python if you don't need it fast, or C++,
> Pascal, if you need it faster...
>
> So start with Python or Basic (search for Gambas IDE).


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 02-06-2009, 07:10 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"
 
Default Which programming Language

Jeff Soules wrote:
>> So start with Python or Basic (search for Gambas IDE).
>
> I hear that Python is an excellent learning language. However, I
> think that Basic might be less useful for this, simply because it's
> very different from the major language families and (last I heard)
> still relied on some features that teach bad habits. Also, I do not
> believe Basic is used very much in the Unix/Linux world; it might be
> more useful if you intend to work with Windows a lot.
>
> If you are comfortable with how the insides of a computer work (mainly
> with memory), then actually I would encourage you to learn C early on.
> (If you are not comfortable with how the insides of a computer work,
> you should become comfortable; you'll need to know soon enough.)
>
> C has a few features (variable and function declarations, strict type
> checking) that are good reinforcement when starting out, and learning
> C syntax will set you up well to learn C++, Java, and Perl as you
> progress.
Don't include Perl here, it has much different concepts than C/C++/Java.

--
Eugene V. Lyubimkin aka JackYF, JID: jackyf.devel(maildog)gmail.com
C++/Perl developer, Debian Maintainer
 
Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default Which programming Language

2009/2/6 Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>:
> 2009/2/6 Mitchell Laks <mlaks@post.harvard.edu>:
>> On 18:25 Fri 06 Feb , Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
>>> In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.
>>
>> <Dons flame retardant hat>
>>
>> Common Lisp!
>
> <Puts on tinfoil underpants>
>
> Scheme!
>

<Slips into nomex jumpsuit>

Assembler!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-*-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه*-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-*-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-*-Ю-Я
а-б-в-г-д-е-ё-ж-з-и-й-к-л-м-н-о-п-р-с-т-у-ф-х-ц-ч-ш-щ-ъ-ы-ь-э-ю-я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü
 
Old 02-06-2009, 07:44 PM
Dotan Cohen
 
Default Which programming Language

> Don't include Perl here, it has much different concepts than C/C++/Java.
>

But the mention of Basic was OK?!?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

א-ב-ג-ד-ה-ו-ז-ח-ט-י-ך-כ-ל-ם-מ-ן-*-ס-ע-ף-פ-ץ-צ-ק-ר-ש-ת
ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-*-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه*-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-*-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-*-Ю-Я
а-б-в-г-д-е-ё-ж-з-и-й-к-л-м-н-о-п-р-с-т-у-ф-х-ц-ч-ш-щ-ъ-ы-ь-э-ю-я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:35 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org