-   -   Which programming Language (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/241416-programming-language.html)

Abdelkader Belahcene 02-06-2009 04:25 PM

Which programming Language

HI,
There are many and many programming languages (mainly : C,C++,java,
Shell, Perl, python, php). which learn and use, in which circonstances
use that language instead of the other.

In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.

thanks a lot
bela
______

Michael Shuler 02-06-2009 04:44 PM

On 02/06/2009 11:25 AM, Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
> which is better.

Similar to:

what is the best ice cream flavor?
what is the best car?

:)
--
Kind Regards,
Michael Shuler

Antonio Macchi 02-06-2009 05:09 PM

Which programming Language

In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.

in this situation, maybe, scripting languages is better
(no waste time for compilations...)

Javier 02-06-2009 05:14 PM

Which programming Language

Abdelkader Belahcene escribi:

HI,
There are many and many programming languages (mainly : C,C++,java,
Shell, Perl, python, php). which learn and use, in which circonstances
use that language instead of the other.

In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.

For learning purpuses, Python and Basic. But when you finish learning
it, the continue with C, Perl, Pascal, even Lisp.
A programmer must know several languages. I don't know of any
professional programmer who does know only one.

Which is better? For text processing, Perl, for driver programming, C,
for applications it depends, it can be Python if you don't need it fast,
or C++, Pascal, if you need it faster...

So start with Python or Basic (search for Gambas IDE).

Mitchell Laks 02-06-2009 06:14 PM

On 18:25 Fri 06 Feb , Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
> HI,
> There are many and many programming languages (mainly : C,C++,java,
> Shell, Perl, python, php). which learn and use, in which circonstances
> use that language instead of the other.
>
> In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.

<Dons flame retardant hat>

Common Lisp!

mitchell

Sam Kuper 02-06-2009 06:27 PM

2009/2/6 Mitchell Laks <mlaks@post.harvard.edu>:
> On 18:25 Fri 06 Feb , Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
>> In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.
>
> <Dons flame retardant hat>
>
> Common Lisp!

<Puts on tinfoil underpants>

Scheme!

Jeff Soules 02-06-2009 07:05 PM

Which programming Language

> So start with Python or Basic (search for Gambas IDE).

I hear that Python is an excellent learning language. However, I
think that Basic might be less useful for this, simply because it's
very different from the major language families and (last I heard)
still relied on some features that teach bad habits. Also, I do not
believe Basic is used very much in the Unix/Linux world; it might be
more useful if you intend to work with Windows a lot.

If you are comfortable with how the insides of a computer work (mainly
with memory), then actually I would encourage you to learn C early on.
(If you are not comfortable with how the insides of a computer work,
you should become comfortable; you'll need to know soon enough.)

C has a few features (variable and function declarations, strict type
checking) that are good reinforcement when starting out, and learning
C syntax will set you up well to learn C++, Java, and Perl as you
progress.

"Eugene V. Lyubimkin" 02-06-2009 07:10 PM

Jeff Soules wrote:
>> So start with Python or Basic (search for Gambas IDE).
>
> I hear that Python is an excellent learning language. However, I
> think that Basic might be less useful for this, simply because it's
> very different from the major language families and (last I heard)
> still relied on some features that teach bad habits. Also, I do not
> believe Basic is used very much in the Unix/Linux world; it might be
> more useful if you intend to work with Windows a lot.
>
> If you are comfortable with how the insides of a computer work (mainly
> with memory), then actually I would encourage you to learn C early on.
> (If you are not comfortable with how the insides of a computer work,
> you should become comfortable; you'll need to know soon enough.)
>
> C has a few features (variable and function declarations, strict type
> checking) that are good reinforcement when starting out, and learning
> C syntax will set you up well to learn C++, Java, and Perl as you
> progress.
Don't include Perl here, it has much different concepts than C/C++/Java.

C++/Perl developer, Debian Maintainer

Dotan Cohen 02-06-2009 07:13 PM

2009/2/6 Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>:
> 2009/2/6 Mitchell Laks <mlaks@post.harvard.edu>:
>> On 18:25 Fri 06 Feb , Abdelkader Belahcene wrote:
>>> In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.
>>
>> <Dons flame retardant hat>
>>
>> Common Lisp!
>
> <Puts on tinfoil underpants>
>
> Scheme!

<Slips into nomex jumpsuit>

Assembler!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü

Dotan Cohen 02-06-2009 07:44 PM

Which programming Language

> Don't include Perl here, it has much different concepts than C/C++/Java.

But the mention of Basic was OK?!?

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com