Old 02-06-2009, 07:47 PM
Javier

Default Which programming Language

Jeff Soules escribió:

So start with Python or Basic (search for Gambas IDE).

I hear that Python is an excellent learning language. However, I
think that Basic might be less useful for this, simply because it's
very different from the major language families and (last I heard)
still relied on some features that teach bad habits. Also, I do not
believe Basic is used very much in the Unix/Linux world; it might be
more useful if you intend to work with Windows a lot.

Well, Gambas is a very good Basic environment for learning, and it is
included in Debian (just go to Synaptic and download it).
My point is not that he should not learn C... I think he must learn C if
we want to program seriusly. My point is that Python and Basic should be
very good for getting started. Then, jumping to C would be much easier

If you are comfortable with how the insides of a computer work (mainly
with memory), then actually I would encourage you to learn C early on.
(If you are not comfortable with how the insides of a computer work,
you should become comfortable; you'll need to know soon enough.)

C has a few features (variable and function declarations, strict type
checking) that are good reinforcement when starting out, and learning
C syntax will set you up well to learn C++, Java, and Perl as you
progress.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:40 PM

I have to say, if you want to get into programming seriously DO NOT start with Python or BASIC. Why? Because their syntax is very different to the languages (such as C) used for more mainstream purposes. If start with Python or BASIC your going to have a much harder time learning C, which is what most programs are written in. Also things like Java and PHP use a syntax that's very C likeM

So I very strongly advise, speaking as somebody who learn't BASIC and regretted it frankly, don't learn BASIC unless that's all you intend to ever use. C will, PHP or Java will be a lot better places to start. C will be the most difficult but also the most useful.

Jamie

>> So start with Python or Basic (search for Gambas IDE).
>
> I hear that Python is an excellent learning language. However, I
> think that Basic might be less useful for this, simply because it's
> very different from the major language families and (last I heard)
> still relied on some features that teach bad habits. Also, I do not
> believe Basic is used very much in the Unix/Linux world; it might be
> more useful if you intend to work with Windows a lot.
>
> If you are comfortable with how the insides of a computer work (mainly
> with memory), then actually I would encourage you to learn C early on.
> (If you are not comfortable with how the insides of a computer work,
> you should become comfortable; you'll need to know soon enough.)
>
> C has a few features (variable and function declarations, strict type
> checking) that are good reinforcement when starting out, and learning
> C syntax will set you up well to learn C++, Java, and Perl as you
> progress.
Don't include Perl here, it has much different concepts than C/C++/Java.

C++/Perl developer, Debian Maintainer

Old 02-06-2009, 08:41 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Don't include Perl here, it has much different concepts than C/C++/Java.
>>

> But the mention of Basic was OK?!?

I don't care much with it .

C++/Perl developer, Debian Maintainer

Old 02-06-2009, 08:43 PM
Sebastian Günther

* Dotan Cohen (dotancohen@gmail.com) [06.02.09 21:13]:
> 2009/2/6 Sam Kuper <sam.kuper@uclmail.net>:
> >>
> >> <Dons flame retardant hat>
> >>
> >> Common Lisp!
> >
> > <Puts on tinfoil underpants>
> >
> > Scheme!
> >

> <Slips into nomex jumpsuit>
>
> Assembler!

<tigthens his iron gloves>
Brainfuck!

--
" Religion ist das Opium des Volkes. " Karl Marx

SEB@STI@N GÜNTHER mailto:samson@guenther-roetgen.de

Old 02-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Micha Feigin

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 18:25:31 +0100
Abdelkader Belahcene <abelahcene@gmail.com> wrote:

> HI,
> There are many and many programming languages (mainly : C,C++,java,
> Shell, Perl, python, php). which learn and use, in which circonstances
> use that language instead of the other.
>
> In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.
>
> thanks a lot
> bela
> ______

We can't answer that question without knowing what problem you want to solve.

If you are just looking to learn a first language for the fun of it I would go
with c++ with emphasis on object orient paradigms. That is what most jobs look
for and most open source projects use in case you want to help.

On the other hand it's a shitty language with a LOT of pitfalls once you need
to implement things effectively.

Old 02-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Micha Feigin

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 19:14:45 +0100
Javier <javuchi@gmail.com> wrote:

> Abdelkader Belahcene escribi×£:
> > HI,
> > There are many and many programming languages (mainly : C,C++,java,
> > Shell, Perl, python, php). which learn and use, in which circonstances
> > use that language instead of the other.
> >
> > In many situations we can use anyone, but which is better.
>
> For learning purpuses, Python and Basic. But when you finish learning
> it, the continue with C, Perl, Pascal, even Lisp.
> A programmer must know several languages. I don't know of any
> professional programmer who does know only one.
>
> Which is better? For text processing, Perl, for driver programming, C,
> for applications it depends, it can be Python if you don't need it fast,
> or C++, Pascal, if you need it faster...

And fortran is great if you want to do math

Old 02-06-2009, 08:49 PM
Micha Feigin

On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 22:10:40 +0200
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin" <jackyf.devel@gmail.com> wrote:

> Jeff Soules wrote:
> >> So start with Python or Basic (search for Gambas IDE).
> >
> > I hear that Python is an excellent learning language. However, I
> > think that Basic might be less useful for this, simply because it's
> > very different from the major language families and (last I heard)
> > still relied on some features that teach bad habits. Also, I do not
> > believe Basic is used very much in the Unix/Linux world; it might be
> > more useful if you intend to work with Windows a lot.
> >
> > If you are comfortable with how the insides of a computer work (mainly
> > with memory), then actually I would encourage you to learn C early on.
> > (If you are not comfortable with how the insides of a computer work,
> > you should become comfortable; you'll need to know soon enough.)
> >
> > C has a few features (variable and function declarations, strict type
> > checking) that are good reinforcement when starting out, and learning
> > C syntax will set you up well to learn C++, Java, and Perl as you
> > progress.
> Don't include Perl here, it has much different concepts than C/C++/Java.

And allows for some of the dirtiest programming possible. Start with something
more strict

Old 02-06-2009, 08:50 PM

I would think best actually if he trys some php scripting, gets him use to the basic syntax likes of c uses and generally gives him practice.

That should then put him in good stead for learning C, which isn't easy to learn...

Old 02-06-2009, 09:39 PM
"Michal R. Hoffmann"

On 06/02/09 21:40, jatos.software@gmail.com wrote:

I have to say, if you want to get into programming seriously DO NOT start with Python or BASIC. Why? Because their syntax is very different to the languages (such as C) used for more mainstream purposes. If start with Python or BASIC your going to have a much harder time learning C, which is what most programs are written in. Also things like Java and PHP use a syntax that's very C likeM

So I very strongly advise, speaking as somebody who learn't BASIC and regretted it frankly, don't learn BASIC unless that's all you intend to ever use. C will, PHP or Java will be a lot better places to start. C will be the most difficult but also the most useful.

Jamie

C# may be a good alternative. It's similar in many ways to C++, Java,
Object Pascal (Delphi), rather strict, and quite portable.

--
Kind regards,
Michal R. Hoffmann

Old 02-06-2009, 09:46 PM
Nuno Magalhães

I started with Pascal, then C, then C++, then Java.

I'd go for C++ 1st though.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 10:39 PM, Michal R. Hoffmann <misiek_spam@o2.pl> wrote:
> C# may be a good alternative. It's similar in many ways to C++, Java, Object
> Pascal (Delphi), rather strict, and quite portable.

The fact that it was developed by MS kinda creeps be but it has been
standardized... Is it "backward-compatible" with C++? Would you use it
for cross-platform programming?

Nuno Magalhães