Old 02-06-2009, 12:54 PM
Aneurin Price

Default A question about /etc/profile

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> [...] putting those `export' commands in /etc/profile has the advantage
>>> that I can put chinese characters also in the command line, with `C-space'.
>>> The disadvantage is that scim is automatically started every time I start
>>> the Terminal application, even if I don't want to use scim. The Terminal is
>>> slowed down when starting.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, running those three commands from command line has the
>>> advantage that I start scim only when necessary; but then it seems that I
>>> lose the possibility of using scim to input characters in the shell.
>>>
>>> I don't know if it's clear...
>

> Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I don't know anything about scim, or what terminal you're using, so I'm
>> guessing that it's a Gnome Terminal based on the fact that you've been
>> talking about scim with Gtk apps. I would imagine - and may be wrong - that
>> the terminal uses the environment variable to set its input method on start
>> up, so in order to have the ability to use those characters in the terminal,
>> you would need to set those variables in the parent process. One way of doing
>> that is to put them in your .xsessionrc (I said .xsession earlier, but I
>> believe that was wrong). This would, as you say, be equivalent for that user
>> to putting them in /etc/profile, so every Gtk application would use scim.
>>
>> How are you starting your terminal? If you're using a menu entry, you could
>> create a duplicate entry, then edit the command from
>> '/usr/bin/gnome-terminal' - or whatever it is - to 'XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
>> GTK_IM_MODULE=scim QT_IM_MODULE=scim /usr/bin/gnome-terminal' and the
>> environment variables would apply to that terminal alone, allowing you to use
>> Chinese characters there without using scim everywhere. You could keep using
>> the old menu entry when you don't need to write in Chinese. Is that more like
>> what you want? (I hope that works. It should do if I've understood the
>> situation.)
>

> I start the terminal by left-clicking on the small icon on the desktop panel.
> I tried to do what you suggest: I right clicked on the small terminal icon,
> then in Properties I edited the command from '/usr/bin/gnome-terminal to:
>
> 'XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM GTK_IM_MODULE=scim QT_IM_MODULE=scim /usr/bin/gnome-terminal'
>
> , but when I left click to launch the terminal I get an error message:
>
> Details: Failed to execute child process "XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
> GTK_IM_MODULE=scim QT_IM_MODULE=scim /usr/bin/gnome-terminal" (No such file or
> directory)

What about if you use 'env XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
QT_IM_MODULE=scim /usr/bin/gnome-terminal'?

Nye

Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 PM
Aneurin Price

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 4:43 PM, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
> Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I start the terminal by left-clicking on the small icon on the desktop panel.
>>> I tried to do what you suggest: I right clicked on the small terminal icon,
>>> then in Properties I edited the command from '/usr/bin/gnome-terminal to:
>>>
>>> 'XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM GTK_IM_MODULE=scim QT_IM_MODULE=scim /usr/bin/gnome-terminal'
>>>
>>> , but when I left click to launch the terminal I get an error message:
>>>
>>> Details: Failed to execute child process "XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
>>> GTK_IM_MODULE=scim QT_IM_MODULE=scim /usr/bin/gnome-terminal" (No such file
>>> or directory)
>

> Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> What about if you use 'env XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>> QT_IM_MODULE=scim /usr/bin/gnome-terminal'?
>

> In this case I get no error message, but nothing happens: C-space does not
> activate scim toolbar.

In that case, I'm out of ideas. If it's a big deal you'll probably need to find
somebody who's using scim to work out the configuration you want. One of the
other posters did say though that having it all the time wasn't making things
slower for them, so you might want to look into why it slows down your
terminal...

Nye

Old 02-06-2009, 03:43 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I start the terminal by left-clicking on the small icon on the desktop panel.
>> I tried to do what you suggest: I right clicked on the small terminal icon,
>> then in Properties I edited the command from '/usr/bin/gnome-terminal to:
>>
>> 'XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM GTK_IM_MODULE=scim QT_IM_MODULE=scim /usr/bin/gnome-terminal'
>>
>> , but when I left click to launch the terminal I get an error message:
>>
>> Details: Failed to execute child process "XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
>> GTK_IM_MODULE=scim QT_IM_MODULE=scim /usr/bin/gnome-terminal" (No such file
>> or directory)

Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> writes:

> What about if you use 'env XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
> QT_IM_MODULE=scim /usr/bin/gnome-terminal'?

In this case I get no error message, but nothing happens: C-space does not
activate scim toolbar.

Rodolfo

Old 02-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> writes:

>>> What about if you use 'env XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
>>> QT_IM_MODULE=scim /usr/bin/gnome-terminal'?

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

>> In this case I get no error message, but nothing happens: C-space does not
>> activate scim toolbar.

Aneurin Price <aneurin.price@gmail.com> writes:

> In that case, I'm out of ideas. If it's a big deal you'll probably need to
> find somebody who's using scim to work out the configuration you want. One of
> the other posters did say though that having it all the time wasn't making
> things slower for them, so you might want to look into why it slows down your
> terminal...

The original problem is solved: make scim work with Openoffice. This issue is
only fine tuning. Thanks very much for your help.

Rodolfo