Old 02-06-2009, 11:15 AM
John Lindsay

Default IBM thinkpad A22 serial ports and debian

I have installed Debian on my Thinkpad A22. Seems to be working fine
except for the wireless. I also have Wine installed as I want to run an
executable program that downloads a file to an FTA receiver via the
serial port. Do I need to 'turn on' the serial port under Linux or would
it already be operational? I keep getting a Fail message when ever I try
to download the bin. The FTA receiver is set to receive files via the
serial port. Turning the receiver off and on and setting the unit to
receive via the serial port doesn't make any difference.

Hopefully some one can help.

John

Old 02-09-2009, 11:55 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

John Lindsay wrote:

> I have installed Debian on my Thinkpad A22. Seems to be working fine
> except for the wireless. I also have Wine installed as I want to run an
> executable program that downloads a file to an FTA receiver via the
> serial port. Do I need to 'turn on' the serial port under Linux or would
> it already be operational? I keep getting a Fail message when ever I try
> to download the bin. The FTA receiver is set to receive files via the
> serial port. Turning the receiver off and on and setting the unit to
> receive via the serial port doesn't make any difference.
>
> Hopefully some one can help.
>
> John

what you are trying to do will not help much.

don't know how good wine works with serial devices, but you should configure
wine to talk to your serial port (on linux) this would be /dev/ttyS[0-3]

the serial should be configured properly (according doc of the device) I
mean baud rate and so on (usually done with the setserial)

you can capture all data on a serial line without wine too, unless you need
a kind of windows app to talk to the device

regards